By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Game Informer Reviews Super Mario Galaxy 2

Gnizmo said:
big_boss said:

Why do they suck? They along with Edge and 1UP gave a similar review score for MH3 for the same reasons and GI has some of the best previews then any other publication. June issue had new info on Fallout New Vegas, Gears of War 3, LBP2 and Marvel vs Capcom 3. LP2 has a high score, but maybe its because he likes the game, you know like how people in this thread like MH3.

Because it has the journalistic integrity on par with that of the National Enquirer. The reviews are poorly written, and often the text wildly counters the "score." Games that are pushed heavily by Game Stop have, surprisingly, a history of getting ridiculously good scores. The reviews and articles themselves are amongst the worst written trash I have seen in any gaming magazine ever. The reasoning is often piss poor, basic facts entirely ignored, and comments that are entirely out of touch with reality are often trumpeted as stone cold fact. The magazine is nothing more than a marketing tool that Game Stop does its absolute best to make sure customers end up with.

You've shown me no proof of the lack of journalistic integrity from GI. In fact why don't you name a few of these "trash" articles and reviews that your bitching about and this Game Stop marketing bullshit is false, why? because you'd see articles about the Wii's next fitness masterpiece or some other causal garbage for the Wii that people buy because we all know how much money Game Stop makes on the Wii and DS, That's why Nintendo products take up half their store.

Whats with the " games that are pushed heavily by Game Stop have, surprisingly, a history of of getting ridiculously good scores" argument?

Here's the list for games that have commercials specifically from Game Stop.

Spilnter Cell : Conviction GI score 9/10 gameranking 86.5%

Mass Effect 2 GI score 9.75/Meta 96

Quake Wars GI score 78/Meta 75

Bioshock 2 GI score 8.25 /Meta 88

Battlefield BC2 GI 9.5 /Meta 88 ( 1UP, Gametrailers, and Game Pro also gave it highers scores then the meta average )

Halo ODST GI 9.25 /Meta 83 ( 1UP, Gamespot, Play, IGN, GamePro, Edge, and Gametrailers gave it higher scores then the meta average )

GTA: Chinatown Wars GI 93/ Meta 93

GoW III GI 10 /Meta 93 ( 1UP was the only major publication to score it higher then the meta average )

GI is no different then other major publications when it comes to high scores to hyped games. So are you saying 1UP, Edge, IGN, GamePro, GT, and Gamespot change their scores so Game Stop can make an extra buck? because they gave higher scores then what the games average was.

Just because you see posters of games like Red Dead on Game Stop walls doesn't mean Game Stop had GI give a game a high score. I guarantee Red Dead will have a meta average of 95 when its all said and done, because its a good game. Honestly I think alot of people are butthurt because SMG2 didn't get Game of the Month and thats why people mention GI and Game Stop marketing BS because Red Dead got the highest score in GI and Game Stop store has posters of Red Dead. The reason Red Dead is marketed heavliy by Game Stop is because its pre orders exceeded any game coming out next week. Then after its release SMG2 posters will replace the old ones.

GamerTag/PSN ID JoshmyersBV (please add me I have 2 friends on Xbox Live)

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
H.E.R. said:

Monster Hunter Tri - 7 (I believe he played it with motion control)

I see Capcom's check didn't clear this month.

lol

the smg2 score would be okay since they actually could have higher hype, but the mh3 score is soooooo low and unfair

big_boss said:

You've shown me no proof of the lack of journalistic integrity from GI. In fact why don't you name a few of these "trash" articles and reviews that your bitching about and this Game Stop marketing bullshit is false, why? because you'd see articles about the Wii's next fitness masterpiece or some other causal garbage for the Wii that people buy because we all know how much money Game Stop makes on the Wii and DS, That's why Nintendo products take up half their store

Whats with the " games that are pushed heavily by Game Stop have, surprisingly, a history of of getting ridiculously good scores" argument?

Here's the list for games that have commercials specifically from Game Stop.

Spilnter Cell : Conviction GI score 9/10 gameranking 86.5%

Mass Effect 2 GI score 9.75/Meta 96

Quake Wars GI score 78/Meta 75

Bioshock 2 GI score 8.25 /Meta 88

Battlefield BC2 GI 9.5 /Meta 88 ( 1UP, Gametrailers, and Game Pro also gave it highers scores then the meta average )

Halo ODST GI 9.25 /Meta 83 ( 1UP, Gamespot, Play, IGN, GamePro, Edge, and Gametrailers gave it higher scores then the meta average )

GTA: Chinatown Wars GI 93/ Meta 93

GoW III GI 10 /Meta 93 ( 1UP was the only major publication to score it higher then the meta average )

GI is no different then other major publications when it comes to high scores to hyped games. So are you saying 1UP, Edge, IGN, GamePro, GT, and Gamespot change their scores so Game Stop can make an extra buck? because they gave higher scores then what the games average was.

Just because you see posters of games like Red Dead on Game Stop walls doesn't mean Game Stop had GI give a game a high score. I guarantee Red Dead will have a meta average of 95 when its all said and done, because its a good game. Honestly I think alot of people are butthurt because SMG2 didn't get Game of the Month and thats why people mention GI and Game Stop marketing BS because Red Dead got the highest score in GI and Game Stop store has posters of Red Dead. The reason Red Dead is marketed heavliy by Game Stop is because its pre orders exceeded any game coming out next week. Then after its release SMG2 posters will replace the old ones.

I never offered to give you proof. You asked why I trashed the magazine. I could no possibly care less if you agree. I was pointing out that your characterization over it being about a review score is non-sense. If you want to continue reading terrible articles then more power to you. I think most of the gaming magazines suffer from the same problems but to a lesser extent.

Also, I don't even plan on buying Super Mario Galaxy 2 at this point. The first one bored me almost to tears really. It is an interesting idea that you keep harping on with the review. Completely divorced from any sense of reality, but interesting none the less.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

its not so much the reviews that are making me seriously consider canceling my subscription(though they are pretty terrible IMO...7...really?), but it seems to be the obvious bias towards the HD systems. they get the most reveiws, previews, covers, and large articles. im not saying these systems or their games dont deserve it, but it would help if they gave the wii and it's games more than what seems to be a passing glance. hell, i started a subscription to Nintendo Power just to get some Nintnedo news everyonce in awile.

JUST MY OPINION!