By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do americans say Obama is black?

Its a very interesting point.

A lot of Aboriginal people in Australia identify with that part of their heritage moreso then the rest (even though in many cases they're far more something else in regards to ethnicity) so its not only a thing that people from the US do.

I think at the end of the day its all about what they latch onto in regards to their identity. If someone wants to be called black even though they're half white, then thats their choice.

I don't see any problem with it. Its like most people consider ac/dc Australian despite the fact that most of them were born in Britain.

Around the Network

He's black enough and considers himself black. Maybe a black community wouldn't consider him black, I certainly do. Then again when I grew up I'd probably see a black person once a month and I've never lived around a big black community.

If he was just a guy I knew and someone else didn't and say only knew his name at a party, I'd say something like "That's him there, the tall black guy" rather than mixed-race guy. Well, luckily he'd be ok with that, as with libellule I've been pretty much taught to avoid refering to people by their race until sure it's ok to do so. At least out of a circle of close friends or in my head.

alekth said:
He's black enough and considers himself black. Maybe a black community wouldn't consider him black, I certainly do. Then again when I grew up I'd probably see a black person once a month and I've never lived around a big black community.

If he was just a guy I knew and someone else didn't and say only knew his name at a party, I'd say something like "That's him there, the tall black guy" rather than mixed-race guy. Well, luckily he'd be ok with that, as with libellule I've been pretty much taught to avoid refering to people by their race until sure it's ok to do so. At least out of a circle of close friends or in my head.

well, now, I really try to avoid using "black" and mostly use "black skin"

also, the main issue here is that plenty of "black" people will easly call themselve .... "black" despite the fact that most of the "white" people will desesperately try to find others words to describe them as "colored person" "african person" etc ... to avoid to hurt them using ... black

same can be said with the word "negro" (the N word) in a way ...

Personally, I m using "black skin" because it allows me to destroy the ethnical group "black" ... (same for others groups). It is not because I m to shy to call someone black. It is mostly because I prefer to not put people in "racial case" as I consider the word "black" designs a race and not a simple skin color ...

Time to Work !

shio said:

Yes, there's a lot less hate in Europe, which is also why there is less need for an individual to forcefully identify himself with a single race, in order to fit in.

You think so?

There is still plenty of latent racism in Europe, it just depends on where and what race you're talking about. Racism against muslims/middle easterns is pretty common on the continent. Just look at all the shit people from turkey have to put up with in Germany, where they are treated like second class citizens by the government. Same goes for france.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

The media is saying he's "black", remember when he won the presidency, every news channel was saying America has it's first black president and ignoring his white side. He is biracial(Mom is white and dad is black) and he was raised by his white grandparents in Hawaii.

Around the Network

I don't see what this has to do with the PC being the superior gaming platform. Either you've gotten much stealthier, or you're not really shio.

My point is, regardless of how you call yourself, your race will always be determined by your blood, not who you hang out with.

It is the same the few men that feel they should be women and try to have a sex change operation. They'll never be women, even after the operation. In comparison, there's no way for a person to change race (what MJ did isn't the same)

sieanr said:
shio said:

Yes, there's a lot less hate in Europe, which is also why there is less need for an individual to forcefully identify himself with a single race, in order to fit in.

You think so?

There is still plenty of latent racism in Europe, it just depends on where and what race you're talking about. Racism against muslims/middle easterns is pretty common on the continent. Just look at all the shit people from turkey have to put up with in Germany, where they are treated like second class citizens by the government. Same goes for france.

THAT
I do agree. There is not hate. But there is definitively racism.

Here in france, it can be harder to get a job or a appartment. Things may get better ...

Time to Work !

shio said:
My point is, regardless of how you call yourself, your race will always be determined by your blood, not who you hang out with.

It is the same the few men that feel they should be women and try to have a sex change operation. They'll never be women, even after the operation. In comparison, there's no way for a person to change race (what MJ did isn't the same)

well, on daily basis, it will be determined by how you look/act like, not by your blood.

example on me :

from 6-12

I m with a lot of black/arab guys, my spanish name sounds normal and i m considered as a white.

from 12-20

I m with a lot more of white people, my spanish name sounds exotic, people make joke about it and everybody know that I m half spanish / half armenian from my grand parents (despite being 100% french in my head). I m even, sometimes, called the spanish or the armenian ...

Time to Work !

Because in America being black is like a disease. Once you get some black genes, you're tainted as black.

(ok so I worded that to be intentionally controversial, but it's still true).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957