By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do americans say Obama is black?

He clearly isn't. He's half-black, half-white, mixed race.

Around the Network

Let's have fun with this thread :

They say this because he accept, Obama, that they said this !
AND because he consider himself, mainly, as a black !

(mixed people growing in white country are seen as ==> black people)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuQgWtRIoNQ

check at 2.00 minute ... ... ... BIG RACIST comment ?

THEY (everybody ?) are all a bunch of racist ...

Time to Work !

libellule said:

I don't have sound at the moment, but it is pretty stupid of Obama to call himself black (if he did indeed say that).

The "mixed people growing in white country are seen as ==> black people" is totally fake, and seems only true for USA. In Europe, a mixed guy is a mixed guy, not black nor white.

shio said:
libellule said:

I don't have sound at the moment, but it is pretty stupid of Obama to call himself black (if he did indeed say that).

The "mixed people growing in white country are seen as ==> black people" is totally fake, and seems only true for USA. In Europe, a mixed guy is a mixed guy, not black nor white.

- quick report : "do you think Clinton was the first black president ?"

"bla bla bla" and at the end, final joke, "I have yet to see him dance so I dont know if he is a true brother"

It is a joke, but a racist one.

- sorry to burst your bubble : most of the mixed people will be seen as black people, or will be attached to the black people group in europe TOO.

the main difference between NA and Europe is that you have a lot less HATE between the group in Europe compared to NA.
This is du to the historical difference between Na and Europe :

NA : white and black living together in 1 territory : racisme +  segregation + slavery : big hate/injury/violence

Europe : mostly white people, very few black people, black community is more recent
(historically black are in the colonnial empire and they only recently come to Europe territory) 
: racisme but no segregation and no actual slavery in Europe territory : less hate

In Europe, black people are seen as the latino in America : a relatively new population in the territory

Time to Work !

The man identifies as black, and there's no reason to refer to him as being of mixed race when calling him black is both quicker and easier. If he chooses to embrace his black heritage insntead of his white heritage, who are we to judge? Nobody, that is who.

Or, if you prefr shortr, punchier answers:

Because in the 60s nobody would have let him into any fancy clubs

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
The man identifies as black, and there's no reason to refer to him as being of mixed race when calling him black is both quicker and easier. If he chooses to embrace his black heritage insntead of his white heritage, who are we to judge? Nobody, that is who.

Right,

It is not like we are in 2010 ... ... ...

It is not like he was President of the most powerfull conntry in the world .... .... ...

and it is also not like the "fact" he was considered as a black helped him to get elected ... ... ...

Time to Work !

libellule said:
Khuutra said:

Right,

It is not like he was President of the most powerfull conntry in the world .... .... ...

and it is also not like the "fact" he was considered as a black helped him to get elected ... ... ...

You missed the point of my quip spectacularly.

The point here is that his skin color is dark enough that he would be considered blac in any scenariro where being black could count against you.

Also, further proof of his blackitude (amongst other things):

Khuutra said:
libellule said:
Khuutra said:

Right,

You missed the point of my quip spectacularly.

The point here is that his skin color is dark enough that he would be considered blac in any scenariro where being black could count against you.

Also, further proof of his blackitude (amongst other things):

so, even if I dont understand the joke about him being muslim (I thought we focused on black stuff in the thread)

I still agree that in Europe and NA, someone looking at least a bit "black" will be considered as a black
That is what I was saying to shio in my previous post

Time to Work !

libellule said:

- sorry to burst your bubble : most of the mixed people will be seen as black people, or will be attached to the black people group in europe TOO.

That is not true, imo. I don't even remember anyone calling a mixed person "black". And I also have been to France many times.

Where I currently live we have a huge black community and another gypsy community. It is irrelevant if a mixed guy hangs out more with people of  a certain race, they'll always be mixed.

libellule said:

the main difference between NA and Europe is that you have a lot less HATE between the group in Europe compared to NA.
This is du to the historical difference between Na and Europe :

NA : white and black living together in 1 territory : racisme +  segregation + slavery : big hate/injury/violence

Europe : mostly white people, very few black people, black community is more recent
(historically black are in the colonnial empire and they only recently come to Europe territory) 
: racisme but no segregation and no actual slavery in Europe territory : less hate

Yes, there's a lot less hate in Europe, which is also why there is less need for an individual to forcefully identify himself with a single race, in order to fit in.

shio said:
libellule said:

That is not true, imo. I don't even remember anyone calling a mixed person "black". And I also have been to France many times.

Where I currently live we have a huge black community and another gypsy community. It is irrelevant if a mixed guy hangs out more with people of  a certain race, they'll always be mixed.

OK, let's focus on this point.
I will talk about France.

I try to not call people "black" and to only refer to their skin color as being "black/brown/light/white" skin

neverthless, I know someone who is from an arab/black mix but looks like a black person (nose + brown color + very curly hair) and she likes to consider herslef (and other see her like this too) as a black person

I know another one (mixed too, black/white I assume), that I think most people will consider as a mixed girl

I know another one (coming from Maurice Island, OVERmixed country, WW record lol) that is very close to an indian girl but she, recently referred herself as a black (before I countered her saying she was not that black)

you know, in France, for ALL our media, Obama, before being intelligent, before being interesting, before being american, before everything .... Obama was BLACK !

Time to Work !