By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Your PS Move Launch

the releases of lbp2, eye pet and GT5 around christmas season will probably move (no pun intended :P) a lot of consoles to new (presumably more casual) customers, and they need to make sure that each and every one of those will get a move-controller. add one + the cam to at least these bundles, if not to every console bundle after the move release. once you have one of the controllers you will get curios and probably buy a few games just to try it out. and those three games support it anyway, so its not even a question imo.
other than that just the standard... with good games, good marketing and good price it will have a good chance of success. lets hope they deliver at E3

Around the Network

Imo, I think anyone that doesn't want the Move to fail should hope that Sony provides a large amount and variety of quality, fun, innovative, unique FAMILY-ORIENTED games for the Move. Just for the record, these aren't the games I am interested in the Move for, BUT I think these are the only games that are going to drive high sales bc I think motion control gaming attracts adults and families much more than it does ppl who are hardcore gamers.

The major reason the Wii is succeeding is because it has appealed to a mass market with 1)a simple control scheme that requires a low learning curve, thus attracting adults/families and even the elderly (the residents at the nursing home I work at used fundraising $ to buy a Wii for all the residents in the home); and 2)fun, family-oriented games that are fun to play together while containing minimum violence and obviously no swearing, sex, drugs, and other themes that many parents find distasteful for themselves and their children.

Price has an impact as well, although I don't think it's quite as significant of a reason for the Wii's success, because I think that when people truly want something, a good majority of them simply force it into their budget to afford the product (look at the iphone: crazy expensive phone coupled with a crazy expensive monthly phone plan, yet ppl ranging from rich, to comfortable, to average, to poor own one). (

(post continued, guess it was too long...) Another reason I feel price wasn't the biggest factor for Wii's success (at least up until now) is because the Wii had no direct competition (the only motion control console)- so it was either $249/$199 or no motion control console...

I unfortunately fear the Move will fail. It should undoubtedly succeed with one of the things that has made the Wii a success (simple control scheme with low learning curve), but it seems like it may fail in the other 2 areas.

1) GAMES: Sony seems to be concentrating on and emphasizing more mature games for the Move, which will appeal more to the hardcore rather than the casual gamer. BUT, as I mentioned, I think motion control gaming appeals way more to the casual gamer than to the hardcore. I have seen some family-oriented games for the Move, but 2 of the most advertized games are mature rather than family: the realistic boxing game and Socom 4 (because the boxing game is so realistic in character design and in general, it makes it feel a lot more violent I think as opposed to Wii cartooney boxing, and will thus deter adults/families from it).

2) PRICE: Now that there will be 2 [similar] motion control consoles, price becomes a much more important factor. Sony will be forced to make the Move/PS3 bundle very expensive compared to the Wii unless they either pull some black magic maneuver to significantly decrease the cost of the ps3 OR...take a $100-150 loss per bundle. I see neither being feasible. So now it will be either Wii for $199 or PS Move for $349-399. Such a significantly higher price for the Move will undoubtedly impact its sales since it will have direct competition.

One more factor that may have an impact is that all these families across the world have JUST spent their $199-$249 on the Wii, so I see a good lot of them being unwilling to fork out money for another (similar) console so soon. Well, unless the Move is extremely impressive, which I hope it will be.

I want more than anything for the Move to succeed. I'm a fan of Sony for the quality they put in their products as well as for various other reasons. I also am personally really interested in the Move. I think it has a lot of potential and will have lots of games that will be a blast to play. But I think it has way too many things that will be going against it. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

I would:

Bundle EVERY PS3 with Move+PSEye+DualShock AND Little Big Planet + a Move game pack (like WiiSports, only not necessarily sports, just a game that show you what you can do with the thing. some tricky stuff and some small games that makes people go "aaaaah, nice feat") IF that is possible to do within a decent price range. I guess they can('t) introduce this bundle at a higher price than the PS3 out now. Maybe add another $50 to the price tag. They should do like Nintendo, sell the Navigator separately, might even include a game on the Move pack disc that requires it, kinda like Boxing in WiiSports. LBP will get Move support and will therefore be part of the whole Move bundle. Everyone will get to know LBP, with Move or without. This will give much attention to the newly announced sequel. Maybe (if not too late) have LBP2 Beta Keys in some LBP copies. Sony should do like Nintendo (yes, I said it again), push a title on every PS3 owners, especially one that has GOTY written all over the boxart.

Well, why not bundle it with an actual Move game? Well, yes that would also be pretty neat, BUT which one? Hehe. I guess Ape Escape. To be honest, I never played an Ape Escape game, but it gets a lot of praise, so I guess it's awesome. But would this be a launch title that would get people to buy the Move bundle?

If Heavy Rain gets Move support it can be bundled as well. But LBP is perfect. it's a game that might suit everyone, it is quite old now, so Sony made their money, AND it will get a sequel, plus Sony games need some better "branding". They're good and got great sales, but few of Sony's titles become legendary in terms of sales. Sackboy is a good mascot for Sony, they should use him/her a bit more.

Also, I would do a lot to ModNation Racers if I were to release that game. Looks totally epic, it really does, and I will buy it, that's not the problem. But Sony is really throwing away an opportunity imo. But that's for another thread!

Hmm... what would I do. A bunch of things, actually. I can detail them:

Pricing: It's clear to me that many will see this as a WiiMote clone. So I need to make it cheaper, to get it into more peoples' hands. A Wiimote + Nunchuk retail for $59.98. (Most games do not need WM+, so I won't look at that cost.) So I'd bundle a move and subcontroller together for $54.99, also keeping it at the same price as the DS3 controller.
Next is the bundle. An Eye-toy can be had for $30 fairly easily. Add in a game for $5 more to drive home value (Hey, it worked for Wii Play), and make the starter set $89.99.
Then we have the system. I don't want to touch the $300 system, it's too razor-thin on the margin already, and giving up this price point is a bad idea. But the $350 system is getting killed. I see raising the price, to $379.99, and adding in the starter set. (This offers a $10 savings and a bigger hard drive, further driving value.)

Launch: When games are ready. The US launch of the Saturn shows what happens when you have no games at launch. Of course, I'd also not have the games rushed to meet a time window. If the games were ready, I'd want to do a July launch, to spark interest in what is typically the slowest time of the year for gaming. Barring that, I'd do an October launch, giving me ample time to restock stores from a (hopeful) launch sellout before everyone is trying to get them for the holiday season.

Advertising: This needs to be a 2-pronged approach. Split the budget into 2 parts, about 1/3 and 2/3. If I get my July date, advertise to my core audience with the 1/3 part. Show big games using Move, have a few Butler ads, etc. If I get my October date, then throw a casual ad or 2 in there, showing people having fun using Move. Then November comes, and this is where the other 2/3 comes in. A good chunk of this will be spent on "casual" ads, showing people together having fun, families if possible. Drive home the idea of a PS3 as something else to pull families closer; a good holiday gift for the household. But I'd still keep a few Butler ads running, even creating a new one to keep the attention of my core base, to keep them talking about PS3 for the holidays.

Of course, since I don't have all the internal information from Sony, this is only what I would like to do if it were my job to market. It makes sense to me...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Around the Network

EyePet bundle. Game+Camera+Move. Hopefully less than $100.

So very good ideas have been posted.

I'm glad some people have taken the opprotunity to express their ideas.

The eye toy, move controllers and a game like wii sports for 59.99

Ape Escape and i am sold, i am weak toward colorful games ='[

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

My ideas.

Move, Navigator, Sports Champion "Starter Pack": $89.99

In case you don't want a Wii style package then here's this.

Move, Navigator, Ape Escape PS3 "Starter Pack": $89.99

Move: $34.99

Navigator: $19.99

Move and PlayStation Eye: $59.99

PlayStation 3 (120, 250), Move, Navigator, PlayStation Eye, DualShock 3, Ape Escape PS3 or Sports Champion: $299.99, $349.99 respectively.