Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD Comparison: First 4 months in the USA

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/04/Firstfour.JPG

Wii 1.86 million (Nov-Feb)

Xbox 1.69 million (Nov-Feb)

Gamecube 1.38 million (Nov-Feb)

PS2 1.36 million (Oct-Jan)

PS3 1.06 million (Nov-Feb)

Xbox 360 1.00 million (Nov-Feb)

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

What isn't noted is that by the time that GCN and Xbox came out the PS2 was selling at a much higher level and was able to outsell its competitors

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

If you dig deeper, it's even more troubling for the PS3. February sales were half that of January.

And if you look at weekly sales in Japan, they have fallen over 75% from January.

So the sony console was slowest seller at the start , sounds a bit familiar . Then again the ps sales at the start where awful for quite a while also sounds familiar oh and the doom and gloom Sony shouldnt be in gaming etc . It is the same thing over and over i think the ps3 will be just fine but we need games now .

Proud owner of Ps4/3ds xl/pc/vita/wii u and others.

Gamer till I die

I don't think PS2 or PS1 sales ever plummeted so quickly after launch. I'm not saying the PS3 is doomed, but that has to be disturbing to Sony.

Around the Network
jmcoo7 said:
So the sony console was slowest seller at the start , sounds a bit familiar . Then again the ps sales at the start where awful for quite a while also sounds familiar oh and the doom and gloom Sony shouldnt be in gaming etc . It is the same thing over and over i think the ps3 will be just fine but we need games now .

PS2 and PS1 had a headstart over their prime competitors

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

FishyJoe said:
I don't think PS2 or PS1 sales ever plummeted so quickly after launch. I'm not saying the PS3 is doomed, but that has to be disturbing to Sony.

PS2 sales were never this low, but PS1 sold like crap for the first several months.

The only problems i see are high price and limited software , both hindered the ps at the start . Very slow software and hardware sales but after a few decent games appeared together with a price cut the result was phenomenal . Just imagine if they cut it by $100 or £100 it would fly off the shelves in my opinion and with a decent game or two would make a huge difference . Im sure they have that in mind they cannot afford to fail with such investment in first party software and technology , also blu ray must succeed if it doesnt i  think sony are finished ah well we will see i expect the ps3 wont shift till xmas time after a $100 dollar cut .

Proud owner of Ps4/3ds xl/pc/vita/wii u and others.

Gamer till I die

Shane said:
FishyJoe said:

PS2 sales were never this low, but PS1 sold like crap for the first several months.

Selling like crap is bad, but declining sales are even worse.

When the Americas data for 6 months is in for PS3, Wii I'm going to compare their sales to 360, Xbox, GC, N64, DC, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, GBA sales in the first 6 months..I want to see the likelihood that strong momentum can be sustained throughout the life cycle...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu