By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Apple becoming the Microsoft of mobile? (WIRED article)

famousringo said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
Necromunda said:
How can you call Apple a growing monopoly in the mobile department considering the staggering growth of Android... lol

MP3 market is where they are becoming a monopoly.  The article states it plainly.  

With over 85 million iPhone OS devices in circulation, Apple dominates the MP3 player market, some of the smartphone market and a small -- but growing -- percentage of mobile computing (because the million unit-selling iPad competes with netbooks, laptops and so on).

That's kinda true, but none of Apple's policies which might be anti-trust have anything to do with playing MP3s. It all has to do with pocket computing, which is offered by a very broad range of devices. The iPod Touch has more in common with the PSP than the Creative Zen.

All of their pocket computing items carry iTunes the main reason for their dominance of MP3 market(it is also a part of the iphone OS and even if there were competition you would void the warranty of said pocket computing device using it). Nothing wrong with being a monopoly except they have to prove that their policies help comsumers more than hurt them.  I dont think anyone believes apple stopping others from being able to cross platform develop or other companies to track ads is more pro consumer.

Around the Network

If you really paid attention to Apple post the Apple 2 you would realize that Apple has always been about closed platforms.

The original Mac's were so closed you needed to get Apple peripherals. Apple has always been given the benefit of the doubt because of thier status in sales behind the PC and that they do a great job with design. Now that they lead in an area the true Apple comes out.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

I've never been an Apple fan, before the Ipod became a succes I already said that Apple would one day be the new Microsoft. I just never expected they would do it on the Mobile Phone Market. I guess that if Apple really wanted to bring down Microsoft then they could but by keeping their Mac prices rediculous high they alienate the majority of the consumers.

The smartphone market hadn't found its way to the mainstream consumer so that explains why people went for the Iphone. But the Iphone is overpriced aswell so Android has a good shot at beating it if they offer a great App marketplace aswell as a sharp price.

There is also Windows 7 Phone but I fear they'll sooner get involved in a one on one fight with Android for second place allowing the Iphone continues to dominate.

I don't see the ban of using other development languages than C, C++ and Objective-C (and JavaScript) as a move worthy of monopolistic accusations. However, the ban of third party analytics is a different matter and that could well lead into federal action, IMO. Then again, the most recent statistics from AdMob show that Android devices generate more ad requests so it might be hard to argue that Apple is abusing monopolistic power over competing ad networks.

Overall, I think all these changes are "business as usual" for Apple and Jobs. Apple is a design-first company and they absolutely want to maintain their control of the design of the whole iPhone ecosystem, albeit giving some leeway to third party App developers. I happen to appreciate that there is one such company operating in the consumer electronics space and that they don't price their products crazy high like Bang & Olufsen, for example.

themanwithnoname said:
libellule said:
"Apple -- you guys were the rebels, man, the underdogs. People believed in you. But now, are you becoming The Man? Remember back in 1984, you had those awesome ads about overthrowing Big Brother? Look in the mirror, man! ... It wasn't supposed to be this way -- Microsoft was supposed to be the evil one!"

lol, MS is The shit, no worry about this
Apple is just getting some little revenge
The Beast will need more to be killed

A little revenge? Apple deserved getting their asses handed to them by Microsoft in the 80s and 90s due to a terrible business model. I'd expect nothing else from you though. Microsoft is evil incarnate and every other corporation, be it Sony or Apple are just saints, right? Please get a little original, your material is becoming old and quite frankly a little boring.

lol

the article finish with the implicite comment that I quoted in my first post that can be summarize with : "Apple is the real evil, MS is not" (look at the end of the quote)

I decide to put back some truth in this biaised opinion

and the only thing you can do is bashing me for not supporting this biaised article WITHOUT bashing the article itself ?

you are the biaised one.

Time to Work !