By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Apple becoming the Microsoft of mobile? (WIRED article)

"Apple -- you guys were the rebels, man, the underdogs. People believed in you. But now, are you becoming The Man? Remember back in 1984, you had those awesome ads about overthrowing Big Brother? Look in the mirror, man! ... It wasn't supposed to be this way -- Microsoft was supposed to be the evil one!"

lol, MS is The shit, no worry about this
Apple is just getting some little revenge
The Beast will need more to be killed

Time to Work !

Around the Network

what a bunch of crock if a developer wants to make an ap for an android then make one noone is stopping them....if a developer makes a game for the ps3 guess what it wont play on the wii without having to be modified....why should aps be any different?

Before Apple there weren't any companies that were willing or able to produce an easy to use smart phone that was fun to use. Before the iPhone, the smart phones were pretty awful. If nothing else Apple has lit a fire under the other companies.

While Apple may have less market share, their profit share is enormous which allows gives them a lot of influence. Having 50 million iPhone customers probably makes more money than 500 million dumb phone customers. Quality of customer means people who are willing to buy apps, accessories, and other content as well as premium services.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

sorrowsfountain said:
what a bunch of crock if a developer wants to make an ap for an android then make one noone is stopping them....if a developer makes a game for the ps3 guess what it wont play on the wii without having to be modified....why should aps be any different?

Did you even read this article? My money is no as your post doesn't have anything to do with the article. Apple is blocking a lot more than multiplatform apps...

How can you call Apple a growing monopoly in the mobile department considering the staggering growth of Android... lol

Around the Network
Necromunda said:
How can you call Apple a growing monopoly in the mobile department considering the staggering growth of Android... lol

MP3 market is where they are becoming a monopoly.  The article states it plainly.  

With over 85 million iPhone OS devices in circulation, Apple dominates the MP3 player market, some of the smartphone market and a small -- but growing -- percentage of mobile computing (because the million unit-selling iPad competes with netbooks, laptops and so on).

actually it's nokia with over 400 million phones each year 80 million are smartphones and over 39% marketshare, just they for open software rather restriction like apple

nitekrawler1285 said:
Necromunda said:

MP3 market is where they are becoming a monopoly.  The article states it plainly.  

With over 85 million iPhone OS devices in circulation, Apple dominates the MP3 player market, some of the smartphone market and a small -- but growing -- percentage of mobile computing (because the million unit-selling iPad competes with netbooks, laptops and so on).

That's kinda true, but none of Apple's policies which might be anti-trust have anything to do with playing MP3s. It all has to do with pocket computing, which is offered by a very broad range of devices. The iPod Touch has more in common with the PSP than the Creative Zen.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

disolitude said:
sorrowsfountain said:

Did you even read this article? My money is no as your post doesn't have anything to do with the article. Apple is blocking a lot more than multiplatform apps...

i read it and thought and still think my post is relevant but since you think it was in left field i will state it in a different way. 

the article said this: The rule would effectively prohibit developers from using third-party code to create iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch apps that can easily be converted into apps for competing platforms including Android, Windows Mobile and Palm's Web OS.(which was the only part i was actually addressing)

i think apple should be free to require a developer to use whatever code apple wants them to use. why should apple be forced to use open content programming?its not  apples job to make it easy on a developer to make aps for the competition. if a developer doesnt like apples policy they are free not to make aps for apple products.

the article said this: Apple's new policy also prohibits third-party analytics tools from being inserted into apps, which could make it impossible for competing ad networks to serve advertisements on the iPhone OS (my first post had nothing to do with this part of the article but i will offer my thoughts on this too)

once again why should apple cater to competing ad networks it is an apple product

so what exactly is apple doing that should so adversely affect the public that the government needs to step in to protect the public? nothing that i see anywhere in that article. its a bunch of crock

libellule said:
"Apple -- you guys were the rebels, man, the underdogs. People believed in you. But now, are you becoming The Man? Remember back in 1984, you had those awesome ads about overthrowing Big Brother? Look in the mirror, man! ... It wasn't supposed to be this way -- Microsoft was supposed to be the evil one!"

lol, MS is The shit, no worry about this
Apple is just getting some little revenge
The Beast will need more to be killed

A little revenge? Apple deserved getting their asses handed to them by Microsoft in the 80s and 90s due to a terrible business model. I'd expect nothing else from you though. Microsoft is evil incarnate and every other corporation, be it Sony or Apple are just saints, right? Please get a little original, your material is becoming old and quite frankly a little boring.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.