By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Michael Pachter: Wii 2 delay is hurting Nintendo

ramses01 said:
Sempuukyaku said:
ramses01 said:
Cheebee said:
Galaki said:
Cheebee said:
Oh noez! Wii has been out for 3 years already, and Nintendo hasn't even announced a successor yet! And they've only posted a measly $2,430,000,000.00 in profits the past year! They're d0med!!

I think it was $2.95B

Nintendo Profit Falls to $2.4b in FY 3/2010, Gives FY 3/2011 Fcst

'For the year ending March 2010, Nintendo had revenues of 1.43 trillion Yen ($15.2 billion), down 22% from the previous fiscal year. Net income (profit) fell to 228.6 billion Yen ($2.43 billion) down 18% from 279.1 billion Yen ($2.97 billion) in the previous fiscal year.'

In case the fanboys can't understand it, from an investor's standpoint, i.e. pach's standpoint, the results shown above have to be extremely disappointing.

Extremely disappointing? If that's the case Nintendo's stock would've fallen SIGNIFICANTLY. NTDOY started the day at 40.5 and dipped to 39.80. Hardly the disappointing results you speak of. Especially considering the fact that this is the first profit drop in 6 years. 

You are confusing disappointing with unexpected.  Falling profits during what should be the height of cycle profitability and in an improving economic climate is disappointing. 

I'd say you've taken a bit of a leap with "improving economic climate" given the past several days.  Given the steep annual downturn, Nintendo's honestly held up better than most.

Pachter hawks stock for EA, Activision, THQ... it's no surprise to me that his vocal views on the market seem to inherently favor their chosen platform priorities...

Around the Network
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
The Gamecube had better core third party support than the Wii has had so far. Almost every major third party multiplatform game of that gen, except for GTA, appeared on Gamecube.

lol.  No, I'm sorry but not even close.

Gamecube did have a port of almost every important third party multiplatform title from last gen.

For starters, It had all the EA Sports games including EA Big titles like the NBA Street series. It had all of the big UBiSoft games like Prince of Persia, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, and Beyond Good and Evil. The Wii hasn't even had one Assassin's Creed game this gen or a version of something as big as Batman: Arkham Asylum or MW2. And, almost all the EA Sports titles are trimmed down for Wii.

lol, what?  Where was GTA?  Where was Silent Hill? Street Fighter? Burnout (after 2)? Guitar Hero?  Metal Slug?  Fatal Frame?

Every EA Sports game was also "trimmed down" for GameCube (at least the Wii versions are online).  Wii gets COD, it gets Lego, it gets Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Sonic, Silent Hill, NFS, and plenty of other big brands.  And more importantly, it actually gets a decent amount of exclusives.  GC never got an exclusive near as big as MH3 or DQX.  The biggest GC got was probably REmake... and that was a remake. :/

I said in my earlier post that the only really notable one missing from Gamecube was GTA, so I don't think I have to say where GTA was. Gamecube had Sonic and NFS. It didn't have Silent Hill, but it did have its own exclusive last gen version of the original Metal Gear Solid. And the remake of Resident Evil One didn't make an appearance on PS2. Also Gamecube had other big exclusives. It was the first place that had Resident Evil 4. It had exclusive rpgs from Namco like Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos. If you didn't have a Dreamcast, it was the only other place you could play Skies of Arcadia. And it was the first place you could play Viewtiful Joe and Suda51's Killer 7.

johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
The Gamecube had better core third party support than the Wii has had so far. Almost every major third party multiplatform game of that gen, except for GTA, appeared on Gamecube.

Gamecube did have a port of almost every important third party multiplatform title from last gen.

For starters, It had all the EA Sports games including EA Big titles like the NBA Street series. It had all of the big UBiSoft games like Prince of Persia, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, and Beyond Good and Evil. The Wii hasn't even had one Assassin's Creed game this gen or a version of something as big as Batman: Arkham Asylum or MW2. And, almost all the EA Sports titles are trimmed down for Wii.

lol, what?  Where was GTA?  Where was Silent Hill? Street Fighter? Burnout (after 2)? Guitar Hero?  Metal Slug?  Fatal Frame?

Every EA Sports game was also "trimmed down" for GameCube (at least the Wii versions are online).  Wii gets COD, it gets Lego, it gets Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Sonic, Silent Hill, NFS, and plenty of other big brands.  And more importantly, it actually gets a decent amount of exclusives.  GC never got an exclusive near as big as MH3 or DQX.  The biggest GC got was probably REmake... and that was a remake. :/

I said in my earlier post that the only really notable one missing from Gamecube was GTA, so I don't think I have to say where GTA was. Gamecube had Sonic and NFS. It didn't have Silent Hill, but it did have its own exclusive last gen version of the original Metal Gear Solid. And the remake of Resident Evil One didn't make an appearance on PS2. Also Gamecube had other big exclusives. It was the first place that had Resident Evil 4. It had exclusive rpgs from Namco like Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos. If you didn't have a Dreamcast, it was the only other place you could play Skies of Arcadia. And it was the first place you could play Viewtiful Joe and Suda51's Killer 7.

RE4 was announced as multiplatform before it even hit shelves.  Twin Snakes was panned and bombed (unlike Shattered Memories was celebrated... and uh, bombed) and was made by a Nintendo owned studio anyway. K7 was day and date multi, though GC at least got the better version (PS2 port was outsourced on the cheap).  Suda meanwhile's done 3 Wii exclusives already (NMH, NMH2, Fatal Frame 4).  VJ came to PS2 with extra content, and VJ2 was multi from the start.

I already said REmake was likely GC's biggest exclusive.  It's also on Wii now though.

Namco's already delivered 3 exclusive Wii RPGs (Tales of Symphonia DOTNW, Tales of Graces, Fragile Dreams).  Really, if you want to get into a pissing match with exclusives, Wii destroys Gamecube.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I love how he calls it a "delay" as if it had been announced, with a date, and then the date was pushed back. Or it was expected by now. The Wii has been out for 3 years and 6 months. So has the PS3. Yet the one that is breaking sales records and profit records is hurting Nintendo, and the one that lost all the PS2 money is doing fine?

This is the whole problem with Pachter's logic: it's a delay in his mind because from the start he thought the Wii was a stop-gap, a system to throw out there and delay the competition, and keep its fans happy until they could release a proper next-gen system.  He never believed that Nintendo was releasing the Wii, bucking all the trends of increased technological power and the hardcore fanbase, in favor of closer to Earth tech and a focus on the expanded audience, as a real system.

When Nintendo launched the DS, they were following a three-pillar strategy, keeping the GBA around while also selling the DS (the GameCube was the other pillar); this way, they had two possible outcomes: either the DS succeeds and takes over the handheld market; or it delays the PSP long enough for Nintendo to launch a souped up GameBoy, which we now know was in development.  When the DS took over, Nintendo ended the GameBoy line with the GBA, and scrapped the next-gen GameBoy.

For the Wii, there was no three-pillar strategy; they killed the GameCube and brought in the Wii as their main console.  There is only one outcome as far as Nintendo is concerned, the Wii succeeds.  There is no Super GameCube waiting in the wings, ready to strike at the right time, while the Wii holds off the competition; it's all about the Wii.

Veder Juda is hand crafted from EPIC FAIL, and is a 96% certified Looney; the other 4% is a work in progress.

Let's just hope Ninty keeps on deciding by itself, because if it ends up choosing between following Pachter or Malstrom suggestions it's DOMED!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:

lol. No, I'm sorry but not even close.

lol, what? Where was GTA? Where was Silent Hill? Street Fighter? Burnout (after 2)? Guitar Hero? Metal Slug? Fatal Frame?

Every EA Sports game was also "trimmed down" for GameCube (at least the Wii versions are online). Wii gets COD, it gets Lego, it gets Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Sonic, Silent Hill, NFS, and plenty of other big brands. And more importantly, it actually gets a decent amount of exclusives. GC never got an exclusive near as big as MH3 or DQX. The biggest GC got was probably REmake... and that was a remake. :/

RE4 was announced as multiplatform before it even hit shelves. Twin Snakes was panned and bombed (unlike Shattered Memories was celebrated... and uh, bombed) and was made by a Nintendo owned studio anyway. K7 was day and date multi, though GC at least got the better version (PS2 port was outsourced on the cheap). Suda meanwhile's done 3 Wii exclusives already (NMH, NMH2, Fatal Frame 4). VJ came to PS2 with extra content, and VJ2 was multi from the start.

I already said REmake was likely GC's biggest exclusive. It's also on Wii now though.

Namco's already delivered 3 exclusive Wii RPGs (Tales of Symphonia DOTNW, Tales of Graces, Fragile Dreams). Really, if you want to get into a pissing match with exclusives, Wii destroys Gamecube.

The original xbox didn't get RE4. Twin Snakes has a higher Metacritic score than Shattered Memories. Killer 7 wasn't on original xbox. We didn't get Fatal Frame 4 in the US. VJ wasn't on original xbox. Tales of Symphonia Gamecube has the highest Meta of any Tales game released in the US. Has Graces been confirmed to be coming to the US? Fragile was brought over by XSeed, thank them for that, but not by Namco or Nintendo. Gamecube 26 games rated 90 or higher on Metacritic. Wii 10 games (at the moment) rated 90 or higher on Metacritic

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Let's just hope Ninty keeps on deciding by itself, because if it ends up choosing between following Pachter or Malstrom suggestions it's DOMED!

OH NO!

This means one of two things, and I'm not sure which is more frightening: either the Internet is loaded with people who don't know how to spellcheck, or Nintendo is about to be crushed under a giant geodesic structure.

Veder Juda is hand crafted from EPIC FAIL, and is a 96% certified Looney; the other 4% is a work in progress.

jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:

RE4 was announced as multiplatform before it even hit shelves.  Twin Snakes was panned and bombed (unlike Shattered Memories was celebrated... and uh, bombed) and was made by a Nintendo owned studio anyway. K7 was day and date multi, though GC at least got the better version (PS2 port was outsourced on the cheap).  Suda meanwhile's done 3 Wii exclusives already (NMH, NMH2, Fatal Frame 4).  VJ came to PS2 with extra content, and VJ2 was multi from the start.

I already said REmake was likely GC's biggest exclusive.  It's also on Wii now though.

Namco's already delivered 3 exclusive Wii RPGs (Tales of Symphonia DOTNW, Tales of Graces, Fragile Dreams).  Really, if you want to get into a pissing match with exclusives, Wii destroys Gamecube.

That's not true actually.  Mikami even said that if RE4 appears on any system besides the gamecube he'll cut his own head off with a chainsaw.  He did a lot to try and stop it from being ported but in the end capcom just had another development team scale down the graphics and port the game to the ps2.  VJ was also an exclusive when released and capcom forced a dev team to port it.  This is why both games have a "only on" purple patch on the boxart for their gamecube editions.  Killer7 was intended to be a gamecube exclusive but the fight put up on that didn't last long and in the end it was released as a multiplat on release date.

But I don't disagree with you, the Wii has much better third party support than the GC.  Anyone who has both would know that.

jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:

The Wii library is currently slightly better than Gamecube, and by the time the generation ends it will be significantly better than that.  But that is like comparing apples to oranges.  For a market leader, Wii is pathetically supported, because the Wii should have gotten PS2 level of support by now.  It has certainly seen sales of hardware in comparable realm.  Since Wii is such an odd console to develop for compared to everything else, it will never get that level of support.  Don't pull out the Nintendo hate card for this, because the DS gets a lot of support.  The reason for Wii's poor support (compared to other market leaders) is because it is so underpowered, and the sales are good, but the rest can be developed for together, and generally provide better software sales when you add the versions together.  PC/PS3/360 together are better to develop for on a high profile project, because almost all of the sales are predictable.  It's much better to develop cheap shovel ware for the Wii and see if the shit sticks. 

johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:
jarrod said:
johnappseed84 said:

lol. No, I'm sorry but not even close.

lol, what? Where was GTA? Where was Silent Hill? Street Fighter? Burnout (after 2)? Guitar Hero? Metal Slug? Fatal Frame?

Every EA Sports game was also "trimmed down" for GameCube (at least the Wii versions are online). Wii gets COD, it gets Lego, it gets Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Sonic, Silent Hill, NFS, and plenty of other big brands. And more importantly, it actually gets a decent amount of exclusives. GC never got an exclusive near as big as MH3 or DQX. The biggest GC got was probably REmake... and that was a remake. :/

RE4 was announced as multiplatform before it even hit shelves. Twin Snakes was panned and bombed (unlike Shattered Memories was celebrated... and uh, bombed) and was made by a Nintendo owned studio anyway. K7 was day and date multi, though GC at least got the better version (PS2 port was outsourced on the cheap). Suda meanwhile's done 3 Wii exclusives already (NMH, NMH2, Fatal Frame 4). VJ came to PS2 with extra content, and VJ2 was multi from the start.

I already said REmake was likely GC's biggest exclusive. It's also on Wii now though.

Namco's already delivered 3 exclusive Wii RPGs (Tales of Symphonia DOTNW, Tales of Graces, Fragile Dreams). Really, if you want to get into a pissing match with exclusives, Wii destroys Gamecube.

The original xbox didn't get RE4. Twin Snakes has a higher Metacritic score than Shattered Memories. Killer 7 wasn't on original xbox. We didn't get Fatal Frame 4 in the US. VJ wasn't on original xbox. Tales of Symphonia Gamecube has the highest Meta of any Tales game released in the US. Has Graces been confirmed to be coming to the US? Fragile was brought over by XSeed, thank them for that, but not by Namco or Nintendo. Gamecube 26 games rated 90 or higher on Metacritic. Wii 10 games (at the moment) rated 90 or higher on Metacritic

Uh, what does Xbox matter?  RE4, VJ & K7 were all on PS2.  FF4 not coming to the US was actually Nintendo's decision.

And you can drop the metacritic comparisons.  As I said before, it's heavily weighted towards industry press, which tends to have a chip on it's shoulder whenever the word "Wii" enters the equation.  Fear has that effect.

Also, Tales of Symphonia was on PS2.  It didn't even stay exclusive (unlike both Wii Tales games).