By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3D gaming on the Famicom

3D-gen doesn't start until Sony said so. Everybody knows that.
3DS will surely be a fad for many years to come.

Around the Network
Bamboleo said:
huaxiong90 said:
2D in 3D just doesn't work.

There's never any harm in taking inspiration from others. As long as it's not a complete rip-off.

I see what you did there :p

i also see what you did there.

seriously if you guys stop the "Nintendo did EVERYTHING FIRST!" then you will stop being so blind.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Nintendo did bring many things to mainstream first.
I still like the SNES controller best.
It feels so right holding it and all the buttons feels natural to the finger positions.

replacing abxy with symbols still is a copy.

Galaki said:
Nintendo did bring many things to mainstream first.

uhh.... didn't you just say that this didn't reach mainstream success? while the Sega one (and the older one) actually reached the US?

I still like the SNES controller best.

It feels so right holding it and all the buttons feels natural to the finger positions.

Good for you, what does that have to do with Nintendo "Creating" 3D gaming?

replacing abxy with symbols still is a copy.

i guess the Atari and everything on the first and seconde generations of consoles never existed so i'll just keep on worshiping nintendo.

nice twist, but that doesn't work on me =]

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Severance said:
Bamboleo said:
huaxiong90 said:
2D in 3D just doesn't work.

There's never any harm in taking inspiration from others. As long as it's not a complete rip-off.

I see what you did there :p

i also see what you did there.

seriously if you guys stop the "Nintendo did EVERYTHING FIRST!" then you will stop being so blind.

Nonsense, the FAMICOM glasses came out before the SMS glasses, so your example is irrellevant.

Nintendo's Contributions to the home console world:

They saved the home console industry
D-Pad
Shoulder Buttons
Standard 4 button configuration
Analog shoulder buttons
Analog/digital directional combination
Rumble
Motion
3D (They were the first, and really only, game company to put their full weight behind 3D gaming)

Sonys:

Eyetoy

Microsoft:

Natal (tentative)

Sony's PS controller was a direct rip off of the SNES controller there is no denying this.  Does that make it bad? No.  In fact, it is understandable, as the PS started as a SNES perifereal. PS2 and 3 are just an extension thereof

the XBox controller is basically a direct rip off of the GC controller, which is understandable because it is MS

The Move is an ABSOLUTE rip off of the Wii remote.  This is somewhat understandable looking at Wii sales, but is dissappointing to see Sony sink so low

Natal is original

On to 3D:

3D gaming will only catch on once there is no need for glasses.  Right now, the tech just does not work for home consoles.  Having to sit in a set spot in front of your couch = bad.  Wearing glasses = bad.

It WILL work for portable though, as the screen will generally be in the same position relative to the player whenever they play.  I am excited to see what the 3DS can do.

3D on the home console is not viable with current tech and was a huge mistake by Nintendo (seeing as, stated above, they are the only ones to throw their whole weight behind it)  If we can get 30+ FPS Holograms, or something new, then we will be talking.

We shoud also all realize that games will eventually get to the point of "Star Trek Holodeck" immersion.  Most gamers don't want that.  They want to sit on there couch, push buttons and look at a screen.  They are good at that, they grew up with that, they can beat people at that.  Once physical activity is needed, these 300 pound dorito crumb covered layabouts won't be as good any more. 

But alas, that is the future.  That is a future where almost all people will play video games because video games will be what we have made them in our heads for so long: An escape from reality in to alternate worlds where we can do things we can't do, be places we can't be, and see things we can't see.  Once you take the need for imagination and susspension of disbelief, the masses will eat it up.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Around the Network

I just want everyone to know. The Simpson's did it! First!!! Dun Dun Duuuuuuun...

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

Severance said:
but according to a lot of Nintendo gamers, 3D is a Fad until 3DS released, then its a glorious orgasmic experience .... but 3D on consoles is still a fad but that will change till WIII-D released.

Hypocrisy is strong for the past couple of months!

Care to link to some of this? 

The only negative comments I've seen about the PS3 3d is that in many games the PS3 will be unable to run the game at sufficient framerate, resolution and level of graphics

???!!

I was serious, you guys. Did the Sony "copy" (if that's how you guys wanna put it) the Wiimote, yes. But at the same time, it's not the same freakin' technology, as it can do things the Wiimote can't. That's why I said "nothing wrong with taking inspiration". A complete rip-off is when it's the same exact tech (and software).

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Severance said:
but according to a lot of Nintendo gamers, 3D is a Fad until 3DS released, then its a glorious orgasmic experience .... but 3D on consoles is still a fad but that will change till WIII-D released.

I can't speak for everyone, but as for me it works like this:

Glasses free 3D - Awesome, bring it on.

3D with glasses - gimmick. horrible.

People are excited over 3DS because it can deliver 3D without the need for glasses, which is welcomed.

If Nintendo launches WIII-D and it require glasses I maintain the same words. But they will obviously not going that route, they already said that 3D with glasses is a gimmick.

Severance said:

No in fact i all ready think that 3D is a orgasmic experience , and it all starts with Avatar, when i say that tech is not quite there yet , i talking about the 3D that is anywhere else that not in the movies , i mean wear glasses at your living room is a fail in every sense , but a 3D GLASS FREE , will be great and that is why i think Sansung or Philips will crush sony on the 3D TV sales, even if their models comes out later , but the 3DS will be here this year and it will be 3D GLASS FREE EVERYWHERE , welcome to the freaking new dimension.

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!