By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did Guerrilla Games make profit on Killzone 2?

I am sure guerilla did.  Sony probably  invested a lot of money into Guerilla. Anyway if Guerilla made a loss I doubt their next game will only be for PS3 then....The question should be did Sony made a profit?

Around the Network

Guerilla definitely made a profit -- rule of thumb for today's triple AAA titles is, sell a million to break even.

It's unfair, though, to compare KZ2 to MGS4, which is the capstone of Kojima's career and had the advantage of ten years of storyline development (1998-2008). Much more accurate to compare it to the second releases of franchises which went through dramatic improvements from their first versions -- e.g. Uncharted 2 or God of War 2. By that standard, KZ2 is a major success.

@ Lostplanet. What are you talking about?
Isn't Guerilla part of Sony?

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
2.2m units sold before the price drop. 2.26m sold is $2,200,000,000 (roughly).

oop's made a misstake. (200,200,000,000) that should be overall profit. if GTA can make 600m form selling 6m in the first week then i figured that killzone would be able to make 200m+ from the same analogy. just a thought. i would say they made 80m as a studio and sony took the rest. even though sony owns them the studio still has to make money.

I doubt the game itself broke even. What it did do though was sell some systems and provide the PS3 with a decent new IP. I doubt they lost much, so I think it was likely worthwhile. But if it wasn't supported by Sony things would be quite different.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Around the Network

most likely yes, but a small one.

Well if KZ3 is coming out then most likely they made a profit.

1) Of course it made a profit, see Gilgamesh's post

2) Even if revenue from the game sales

averyblund said:
I doubt the game itself broke even. What it did do though was sell some systems and provide the PS3 with a decent new IP. I doubt they lost much, so I think it was likely worthwhile. But if it wasn't supported by Sony things would be quite different.

Broke even?u dont have much info do u?

OT-profitable?YES,about 30 millions$

underperformed?Yes,i think ey expected more,about 3,4 millions by now.

Also ey re part of sony so ey were payed for sure.And exklusives re made to sell hardware in first place but thats another story

averyblund said:

you say that like it cost more than what it sold. the game sold 2.2m and made (using the same logic behind GTA sells 6m in the first week equaled $600m) $200m. and the price for both when they launched was the same. (you mad a great end point)