By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did Guerrilla Games make profit on Killzone 2?

CGI-Quality said:
makingmusic476 said:
CGI-Quality said:
makingmusic476 said:
CGI-Quality said:
makingmusic476 said:

Sony gets around $34 for every first party title they sell at $60:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=102058

Let's say they only sold 2 million copies at $60. That'd put them at ~$70 million in revenue not counting the other 300k and counting units they're shipping. Estimates peg the game as having a $40-50 million development budget (just shy of MGS4), which would imply the game has preformed quite nicely.

A sizeable profit then. Do you think the sales met their expectations, however.

Neither theirs nor mine.  =/

It underperformed on my side as well. I thought it would clear MGS4 as well.

I didn't think it woudl top MGS4, but I did think it'd top 4 million.

At the time, MGS4 was just at 4.02mill. I thought KZ2 would have no trouble clearing that.

Oh.  Well yeah, I thought that was achievable.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

Let's say they only sold 2 million copies at $60. That'd put them at ~$70 million in revenue not counting the other 300k and counting units they're shipping. Estimates peg the game as having a $40-50 million development budget (just shy of MGS4), which would imply the game has preformed quite nicely.

What if it had a $15-20 million marketing budget? Total expenses would then be ~65 million and profits only $5 million.

Slimebeast said:
makingmusic476 said:

What if it had a $15-20 million marketing budget? Total expenses would then be ~65 million and profits only $5 million.

...assuming the game stopped selling at 2 million, yes.

And I don't know much about the marketing budget.  I'd assumed it had been included in the 45 million figure, but I guess that's not very likely.

Well what was the budget of the game?

makingmusic476 said:
But wtf is up with the youtube video!? It's so random!

You a Dimebag fan??

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
makingmusic476 said:

You a Dimebag fan??

I am!  But like, 10 people worldwide know of Rebel Meets Rebel's existence, and I find it incredibly bizarre that that specific video of all things made it into my sig because of some glitch.

makingmusic476 said:
Slimebeast said:
makingmusic476 said:

You a Dimebag fan??

I am!  But like, 10 people worldwide know of Rebel Meets Rebel's existence, and I find it incredibly bizarre that that specific video of all things made it into my sig because of some glitch.

Yeah, I sure didn't know about them. Well, that's why you must have copy-pasted the link there yourself. By accident. Maybe a long time ago.

I don't think I've ever put a youtube video in my sig. And it's certainly not there now, at least according to the edit page. Let me mess around a bit.

Edit:

Video's gone, but the text is still the wrong color. 

I mean, I haven't listened to that song in months.  How the hell did it get there!?

makingmusic476 said:

I don't think I've ever put a youtube video in my sig. And it's certainly not there now, at least according to the edit page. Let me mess around a bit.

Edit:

Video's gone, but the text is still the wrong color. 

I mean, I haven't listened to that song in months.  How the hell did it get there!?

Yeah, exciting. It will probably remain a mystery.

It's really hard to say if they did or not. How much did the game truly cost to develop, how much do they get per game sales, who fronted the costs. There's too many variables.

They're still in business though so that says smoething for its performance.