By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS sets new UK sales record - 191K sold in 7 days

crho said:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/28991/DS-sets-new-UK-sales-record

Over 191,000 units shifted last week

Nintendo has ripped up the record books, with its DS handheld last week selling over 191,000 units, according to official ChartTrack data – more than any other hardware format has ever achieved in a seven-day period.

Nintendo revealed the news to MCV this morning, with a spokesperson offering: “We’re obviously delighted to be able to announce this.

"Momentum has been increasing on DS sales and to achieve the highest weekly sales figure ever in the history of the games market is fantastic.”

The previous record for weekly hardware sales was set by PSP when it launched on September 1st 2005 and shifted around 185,000 units in its first week.

UK:

ConsoleWeeklyTotal

Around the Network

That is insane, UK love their DS.

You can't blame ioi for being off, c'mon who woulda thought the number would be that high.

Very impressive for DS. Anyone know what it's highest weekly sales in Japan are?

So a couple years into its life, the DS has a week that is higher than *every* system's launch week, *ever*. Wow.

Really amazing considering there were no significant releases and there is no black Friday in the UK.

Around the Network

Diomedes couldn't be present due to scheduling problems, but he has this message for the board:

"It was undertracked in UK but severely overtracked everywhere else, especially Spain. Therefore, it's surely overtracked and sold perhaps 200k in all Europe. It's a disaster and its only hope is the UK now, but the PSP shall crush it soon."

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

With selling this much in November we might actually start seeing over 200k sales in December? Or is there some UK holiday at the end of November/start of December that I am not aware of?

@DKII: you can screm that out loud!!!

DS IS DA POWAH!! KEEP ON ROLLIN' ROLLIN' ROLLIN'!!!
UBER AWSOME AND UBER INCREDIBLE!!!

SIMPLY UNSTOPPABLE!!!

DA ULTIMATE MONEY PRINTING MACHINE!!

Holy crap, that's more than most weeks in Japan. o_O

Even holier crap, I just realise the UK alone is selling more consoles than Japan these days, and Europe as a whole is ahead of the US. The people talking about Japan losing relevance (comparetively speaking), or the UK becoming a major market by itself weren't kidding.

I'm still slightly skeptical on the details, because AFAIK the European numbers are the least accurate on this site, but this is bound to have some serious implications on how the industry develops.

Maybe we'll no longer get shafted by release dates in a few years? =P

Hahahaha your user name is Mr Resetti and your avatar is also him, pure gold.

My hat goes off to you sir.