By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sued over Linux removal, Case documents surface

deskpro2k3 said:
After reading everything carefully, I come to a conclusion that people who wants them to lose are most likely those who pirate games. Or hoping to make it rich.

Personally, I don't see what the fuss is about. I'm trying very hard to understand the need for other OS function. I don't need it to play games. I have a pc, laptop and I still don't use Linux etc. This is my personal opinion, and I believe only a small minority of people want other os.

Thats definetly a wrong conclusion. I have never pirated once in my life.

Again: Its not about the feature itself like I said before. It violates the Guarantee. Thats all. I doubt that a lot of people who want to pirate buy a PS3. 

Pirates buy Xbox360,PSP and Wii.

Ps3 is known as unpirateable. Its somekind of hacked but thats it.

Just read in the web the people are upset because they get punished even though they havent made anything wrong. Some people use it for encoding videofiles and this works pretty good due to Cell even in 1080p. The Cell CPU is still poweful. Other people just use it as a multimedia server which plays all codecs and PS3 games. Just because you cant use it doesnt mean other people wont use it. You think all people on the planet are like you and the ones who are upset about the removal of Linux are lying they dont care either they just want to pirate ? Its wrong to think: What the hell are they doing with Linux I cant use it for nothing so its pretty much absolutely useless ? Especially in the beginnig of PS3s life they advertised it as a Multimedia center which is able to do even more then other consoles due to linux. And not everyone has a good PC. You wont believe it but some people USE their PS3 as a PC. They print stuff buy a bluetooth keyboard and sit on the couch chatting on ICQ surf in the web and from time to time they switch over to PS3 OS to play some MW2 or watch a blueray. I know people like that.

Its no wonder you dont know such people if 1% (340000 people) PS3 owners do that then for every 99 PS3s there is one with Linux on it. Just because you cant see it or doesnt understand it, it doesnt mean it isnt there or is unimportant. 

Even with Linux I doubt that hackers will succeed like on other platforms. It takes tons of work from not just one peson and a lot of time. I dont believe that the hacker scene has the discipline and the organization to make it happen. Maybe now because of the upset linux community. 

Around the Network
Netyaroze said:
deskpro2k3 said:
After reading everything carefully, I come to a conclusion that people who wants them to lose are most likely those who pirate games. Or hoping to make it rich.

Personally, I don't see what the fuss is about. I'm trying very hard to understand the need for other OS function. I don't need it to play games. I have a pc, laptop and I still don't use Linux etc. This is my personal opinion, and I believe only a small minority of people want other os.

Again: Its not about the feature itself like I said before. It violates the Guarantee. Thats all. I doubt that a lot of people who want to pirate buy a PS3. 

Just read in the web the people are upset because they get punished even though they havent made anything wrong. Some people use it for encoding videofiles and this works pretty good due to Cell even in 1080p. The Cell CPU is still poweful. Other people just use it as a multimedia server which plays all codecs and PS3 games. Just because you cant use it doesnt mean other people wont use it. You think all people on the planet are like you and the ones who are upset about the removal of Linux are lying they dont care either they just want to pirate ? Its wrong to think: What the hell are they doing with Linux I cant use it for nothing so its pretty much absolutely useless ? Especially in the beginnig of PS3s life they advertised it as a Multimedia center which is able to do even more then other consoles due to linux. And not everyone has a good PC. You wont believe it but some people USE their PS3 as a PC. They print stuff buy a bluetooth keyboard and sit on the couch chatting on ICQ surf in the web and from time to time they switch over to PS3 OS to play some MW2 or watch a blueray. I know people like that.

Its no wonder you dont know such people if 1% (340000 people) PS3 owners do that then for every 99 PS3s there is one with Linux on it. Just because you cant see it or doesnt understand it, it doesnt mean it isnt there or is unimportant. 

Even with Linux I doubt that hackers will succeed like on other platforms. It takes tons of work from not just one peson and a lot of time. I dont believe that the hacker scene has the discipline and the organization to make it happen. Maybe now because of the upset linux community. 

I said "are mostly likely to pirate games"

Read carefully what I said there. I'm not singling anyone out like you are doing.

I understand why you feel that way through. You're part of the.... small minority.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
Netyaroze said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Read carefully what I said there. I'm not singling anyone out like you are doing.

I understand why you feel that way through. You're part of the.... small minority.

the number of people that used it is irrelevent, even if there were many who were hoping to pirate it is irrelevent.  There are a few people that argue against it because they use linux, but most people are against it because it violates their consumer rights.  Yea it's all nice and fine when you aren't part of the small minority, but some day you will be part of a small minority who has his rights violated.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Netyaroze said:
deskpro2k3 said:

the number of people that used it is irrelevent, even if there were many who were hoping to pirate it is irrelevent.  There are a few people that argue against it because they use linux, but most people are against it because it violates their consumer rights.  Yea it's all nice and fine when you aren't part of the small minority, but some day you will be part of a small minority who has his rights violated.

You'd be surprised.

deskpro2k3 said:
johnsobas said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Netyaroze said:
deskpro2k3 said:

You'd be surprised.

i dont' think you get it, what the people planned to do with linux is absolutely irrelevent from a consumer rights point of view. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

No I dont have a problem with the removal of Linux. Linux is unimportant to me.

But its not about the feature or if its a small minority. Even if it would be just one single person and the other 34 Million would be completly fine with it it would be still wrong from Sony.

Even if the minority is tiny even if Linux is crap even if it is useless and even if this one person wont use it after winning the case. Sony would still act illegally. Its just wrong.

I answered to your post because I know that the people actually care about linux and since noone knows the motivation of all Linux PS3 users. And there isnt any data its absolutely impossible to tell if the people are most likely to pirate games because we have no evidence for that. We just cant know it. People pirate yes but how many people wish to keep linux and think Sony should lose and dont pirate ? maybe this number outweights them by far ?
maybe they are most likely against pirates ?

Edit: Seems I was to slow my point was already brought up.

They are just costing themselves in legal fee's. There is no way in hell sony should be paying a penny. It is in the effing Terms of agreement folks, try reading it.

You're right, it might be irrelevant because it only works on the ps3 fat.

markers said:
They are just costing themselves in legal fee's. There is no way in hell sony should be paying a penny. It is in the effing Terms of agreement folks, try reading it.

Even if its in the agreements its void if its not in corrospondece with consumer laws. The points brought up until now just don matter at all. (atleast in Europe).

Sony shouldnt pay a penny they just should take back the removal thats all.

deskpro2k3 said:
You're right, it might be irrelevant because it only works on the ps3 fat.

No... that's not why it's irrelevent.  It's irrelevent because it's not related.

No matter how many people plan to pirate, whether it be 1 or 34 million... it in no way justifies the removal of features advertised.

Simply because it's out of Sony's hands at that point.  They promised a feature and delivered it.

It would be like if Ford sold you a car... then realized that the radio could be used to allow people to steal sattelite radio transmissions so they took out the radio's out of all the cars they've already sold.

That would clearly not only be against the law, but an infringment on the consumers rights.  

Once you've sold something to a consumer it's out of your hands... well in Europe.  Not sure this lawsuit will hold ground in the US.  EULA's and TOS' don't really mean anything when they go against the established laws of your country.  Which honestly most do if anyone bothered to challenge them in court.  There just isn't much reason to bother, partly because well judges aren't exactly the most technologically savy people... I mean check out how much of a crap shoot patent lawsuits are.

Sony is free to modify their product... like when they removed other OS from slim PS3s... however to remove features from a product already sold... even the US they may lose.  Which is why you can expect it to be settled out of court.