By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sued over Linux removal, Case documents surface

DM235 said:
greenmedic88 said:
Holesome said:
Just another point that may have already been mentioned in other postings...

Some games purchased on PSN must be played online due to DRM even though they are single player. Choosing to not update the firmware so that LINUX still functions means that those games that must be played online will no longer work. Also, re-downloading games and content that was previously purchased from PSN will also not be possible anymore.

PSN games with online DRM (of which there is currently only one) weren't introduced until after the 3.21 update to my knowledge, meaning you won't find any PS3s with 3.15 firmware that can't play the PSN games previously installed on them.

I still have a PS3 that hasn't been updated. I've yet to find any new games that require a firmware update installed via game disk (still waiting) and none of the 30 or so PSN games already installed on the console have yet to magically cease working.

At this point, I'm keeping that one console isolated and update free if for nothing more than to prove whether or not the Linux removing firmware is "forced" or required in any way shape or form to play games or access content not linked directly to PSN.

So far, the answer is a resounding "no."

Naturally, since the console can no longer log onto PSN, it can't download any new purchases, do PSN game reinstalls, etc., as these are all linked directly to PSN, but that's irrelevant as the choice with this console is "old firmware/Linux option" vs. "PSN use."

WarHawk and MAG are online only games that are unplayable if you do not upgrade your firmware.

I've been using Linux on my PS3 for a few years now, and I find it silly that I cannot even go to the PSN store and buy more games unless I give up Linux (which I'm not willing to do just yet).

sucks to be you then.

Around the Network

MAG and Warhawk are PSN only games. Meaning, if you ever lost access to PSN, you simply wouldn't be able to play those games any more than you'd be able to play online mode for any game with online support via PSN.

Stating the obvious here. That's like saying "I can't play WoW without an internet connection."

greenmedic88 said:
Icyedge said:
greenmedic88 said:
Holesome said:

Some games purchased on PSN must be played online due to DRM even though they are single player. Choosing to not update the firmware so that LINUX still functions means that those games that must be played online will no longer work. Also, re-downloading games and content that was previously purchased from PSN will also not be possible anymore.

PSN games with online DRM (of which there is currently only one) weren't introduced until after the 3.21 update to my knowledge, meaning you won't find any PS3s with 3.15 firmware that can't play the PSN games previously installed on them.

I still have a PS3 that hasn't been updated. I've yet to find any new games that require a firmware update installed via game disk (still waiting) and none of the 30 or so PSN games already installed on the console have yet to magically cease working.

At this point, I'm keeping that one console isolated and update free if for nothing more than to prove whether or not the Linux removing firmware is "forced" or required in any way shape or form to play games or access content not linked directly to PSN.

Naturally, since the console can no longer log onto PSN, it can't download any new purchases, do PSN game reinstalls, etc., as these are all linked directly to PSN, but that's irrelevant as the choice with this console is "old firmware/Linux option" vs. "PSN use."

Did you tried Super street fighter 4 on your PS3? I cant find any information supporting claim you need to remove Linux in order to play offline.

While I'm more or less willing to take the word of anyone currently using 3.15 or older who claims to have unsuccessfully tried to play SSF4 without having to update firmware, I'll be able to confirm for myself later this week when my copy arrives. 

I'll be surprised if the game simply won't work without a firmware update. 

Why?  I've yet to have a game with the new firmware on the disc that allowed me to play without updating my firmware.  They always have said "You need to update your firmware to play this game."   I've never been given the option to opt out before. 

Sven from Capcom wouldn't be surprised if you needed firmware 2.21 or higher, but he doesn't know what firmware the game requires off hand.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/22950957/?pg=last

greenmedic88 said:
MAG and Warhawk are PSN only games. Meaning, if you ever lost access to PSN, you simply wouldn't be able to play those games any more than you'd be able to play online mode for any game with online support via PSN.

Stating the obvious here. That's like saying "I can't play WoW without an internet connection."

RIght, but so far no one has mentioned that in this thread (maybe it was too obvious to state?).

If a game loses the online component, but still has an offline component, the game can still be considered playable.  An online only game becomes completely unplayable.

That means that after 2.5 months on the market, a copy of MAG is useless if you want to continue using Linux.  Factor in that Sony said the PS3 would have a 10-year life span, a copy of MAG just losts 6.5 years of playability.  Not exactly fair, is it?

Kasz216 said:
greenmedic88 said:
Icyedge said:
greenmedic88 said:
Holesome said:

Did you tried Super street fighter 4 on your PS3? I cant find any information supporting claim you need to remove Linux in order to play offline.

While I'm more or less willing to take the word of anyone currently using 3.15 or older who claims to have unsuccessfully tried to play SSF4 without having to update firmware, I'll be able to confirm for myself later this week when my copy arrives. 

Why?  I've yet to have a game with the new firmware on the disc that allowed me to play without updating my firmware.  They always have said "You need to update your firmware to play this game."   I've never been given the option to opt out before. 

Sven from Capcom wouldn't be surprised if you needed firmware 2.21 or higher, but he doesn't know what firmware the game requires off hand.

The thing is, I dont even think theres an update on the disc. If there are, dont forget that it could be an update that does not remove Linux  nor grant access to PSN. Between, ive read the post in your links and no one is even sure theres actually an update on the disc.

Around the Network
Icyedge said:
Kasz216 said:
greenmedic88 said:
Icyedge said:
greenmedic88 said:
Holesome said:

The thing is, I dont even think theres an update on the disc. If there are, dont forget that it could be an update that does not remove Linux  nor grant access to PSN. Between, ive read the post in your links and no one is even sure theres actually an update on the disc.

As someone who pretty much never has his computer hooked up online, I can tell you... EVERY game has Sony's firmware on it... and there has NEVER been a special version of firmware.

It's just a matter of if the games being printed now have gotten the newer 2.21 or higher firmware yet to put on the disc.  The burden of proof is on you to show that for some reason Sony is going to act differently then they always have, with no given word from Sony that such a thing would occur.

Kasz216 said:
Icyedge said:

As someone who pretty much never has his computer hooked up online, I can tell you... EVERY game has Sony's firmware on it... and there has NEVER been a special version of firmware.

It's just a matter of if the games being printed now have gotten the newer 2.21 or higher firmware yet to put on the disc.  The burden of proof is on you to show that for some reason Sony is going to act differently then they always have, with no given word from Sony that such a thing would occur.

All im saying since the start is: lets wait first that they actually do release disc games that force you to remove linux. Im not affirming anything. What should I prove? Its not me that is making assumption.

Between, I guess your right theres an update on every disc. But the question is, will they use an update that remove Linux on all their disc base games. Im not sure they will, you seem to be sure they will, so all im saying is we need to wait first and than do the proper conclusion. Since im suspending my judgment what could I prove? Im not affirming they will or they will not, im just saying we should wait that it happen first.

Icyedge said:
Kasz216 said:
Icyedge said:

All im saying since the start is: lets wait first that they actually do release disc games that force you to remove linux. Im not affirming anything. What should I prove? Its not me that is making assumption.

Between, I guess your right theres an update on every disc. But the question is, will they use an update that remove Linux on all their disc base games. Im not sure they will, you seem to be sure they will, so all im saying is we need to wait first and than do the proper conclusion. Since im suspending my judgment what could I prove? Im not affirming they will or they will not, im just saying we should wait that it happen first.

I'm still waiting to hear from someone who actually claims to have had a firmware update required from offline mode via disk.

All my PSN and most recent BD games still work on 3.15, the most current being GoWIII.

My PS3s have been typically connected to a network, but it's still curious that I've never encountered the ability to update firmware off a game disk. As far as I know, it's currently nothing more than an assumption/guess.

Kasz216 said:
greenmedic88 said:
Icyedge said:
greenmedic88 said:
Holesome said:

I can only assume your console was connected to a network which enabled it to detect that a firmware update was available (not "required").

So if you were "forced," it's your Oops for staying connected to a network, which does not require being logged into PSN (it's not detecting a firmware update on the game disk as you assumed), if you wanted to keep the old firmware for whatever reason.

If a console isn't connected, it can't detect the update and won't require anything to play a game. I've already confirmed this.

As for the most recent Capcom games, I'll be able to confirm whether the update is required when I get my copy of SSFIV later this week.

greenmedic88 said:
Kasz216 said:
greenmedic88 said:
Icyedge said:
greenmedic88 said:
Holesome said:

I can only assume your console was connected to a network which enabled it to detect that a firmware update was available (not "required").

So if you were "forced," it's your Oops for staying connected to a network, which does not require being logged into PSN (it's not detecting a firmware update on the game disk as you assumed), if you wanted to keep the old firmware for whatever reason.

If a console isn't connected, it can't detect the update and won't require anything to play a game. I've already confirmed this.

As for the most recent Capcom games, I'll be able to confirm whether the update is required when I get my copy of SSFIV later this week.

That's not even remotley true.

I actually never have my PS3 hooked up to anything. Outside of like... once to download some demos.  I do online play on my PC.

The disc itself can detect the systems firmware and has firmware on it itself.  I mean, did you miss the Sony link I posted that stated that firmware updates are available on game discs?  Clearly you haven't confrimed what you thought you did... unless you think sony is lieing.  It's just like the Wii, 360 and PSP.

I asked Sony on this rather then wait for future games... when asking if all games would require the new firmware.

and the response was as such.

"Thank you for writing us with your concerns about the 3.21 system software update. Please be advised that it is up to the individual game publishers as to whether or not a particular game will require the 3.21 update or a later update in order to play on your PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment system. Therefore, we are unable to provide a definitive answer to your question. However, it would be prudent to assume that any game released after the 3.21 update may require this update, and therefore may not play on your PlayStation 3 console should you choose not to update your system software."

In otherwords... according to Sony... expect "normal" games to expect firmware 3.21 or later. Additionally since I specified "all" it's clear that Sony games will require the firmware, otherwise they could of confirmed that not all games would require it.  Since they would be releasing some that wouldn't require 3.21