By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The Official Guild Wars 2 thread *** First non-NDA beta is live! Impressions inside

Tagged games:

Buzzi said:
r505Matt said:
Oh man, I just read some of the press stuff. Now I'm even more pumped for this game (if that's even possible!). I do hope they fix the frame rate thing soon, but it doesn't matter too much to me; I'm buying an awesome computer tomorrow actually (mostly for this game).

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3,40 Ghz
8 GB ram
Windows 7 64 bit
double ATI Radeon HD 5700 crossfire

This was the configuration of a tester in an Italian forum...and he still had frame-rate problems. Looks like they have a lot of work to do.

ArenaNet have been working on an Nvidia 3D solution, so maybe the game works better on Nvidia cards. Not that I know, but it could be.

And IncGamers said this:

"2 and a half year old PC that plays a lot of recent PC titles decently. Quad Core, 6GB RAM, Radeon HD 5750 graphics card. For pretty much all PvE and Conquest PvP I was sitting around 20-35 FPS, it would go a little higher when I was just having a wander around. The only thing that was unplayable was really busy parts of World vs World PvP. You could still make yourself useful in other ways on the map, just maybe not where the giant 60+ people zerg rush was happening."

We just don't know what resolution either of them were playing at, which is pretty important information...

Around the Network

And ArenaNet posted a new post on their blog about some of the changes they've made lately. It's quite nice!

Downed and defeated mechanisms have been redone, such that you can revive yourself if no monsters or allies are around and your armor will break if you die enough times.

The minimap/compass has been beefed up.

Meta-events are introduced, they're massive dynamic events basically!

Hidden treasures have been added that give gameplay some additional twists for the most adventurous of us all.

Boons and conditions have been revamped to be more interesting and less "math"-like, and the team is working on making them more visible to the player.

And in case anyone is interested, I'm going to redo the OP to make it much smaller and slicker, so we're better prepared for the launch of the game, both in terms of making for an easy way of getting basic information on the game and for managing the VGC guild.

Rainbird said:
Buzzi said:
r505Matt said:
Oh man, I just read some of the press stuff. Now I'm even more pumped for this game (if that's even possible!). I do hope they fix the frame rate thing soon, but it doesn't matter too much to me; I'm buying an awesome computer tomorrow actually (mostly for this game).

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3,40 Ghz
8 GB ram
Windows 7 64 bit
double ATI Radeon HD 5700 crossfire

This was the configuration of a tester in an Italian forum...and he still had frame-rate problems. Looks like they have a lot of work to do.

ArenaNet have been working on an Nvidia 3D solution, so maybe the game works better on Nvidia cards. Not that I know, but it could be.

And IncGamers said this:

"2 and a half year old PC that plays a lot of recent PC titles decently. Quad Core, 6GB RAM, Radeon HD 5750 graphics card. For pretty much all PvE and Conquest PvP I was sitting around 20-35 FPS, it would go a little higher when I was just having a wander around. The only thing that was unplayable was really busy parts of World vs World PvP. You could still make yourself useful in other ways on the map, just maybe not where the giant 60+ people zerg rush was happening."

We just don't know what resolution either of them were playing at, which is pretty important information...

Good to know! I just swapped out my 6970 for a GTX 570 just in case. I actually prefer Nvidia since they're control panel is about 100x nicer to use anyways.

ArenaNet have opened up for beta submission, but it's only open for 48 hours!

Go go go!

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:
Rainbird said:

ArenaNet have opened up for beta submission, but it's only open for 48 hours!

Go go go!

Stalking you has its rewards. Done applying!

I've resisted the urge to post in here as I was hoping to hear something more solid about a release before jumping into all the media and news for this game - but with the possibility to participate in the beta being inbound I felt the time was right to break my silence.

Good timing indeed! I can assume you want to sign up for the VGC guild while we're at it? You can be in multiple guilds after all, so there's no excuse!

Doh, my new computer won't be here within those 48 hours! Oh well, just finished signing up. So beyond excited.

r505Matt said:
Doh, my new computer won't be here within those 48 hours! Oh well, just finished signing up. So beyond excited.

Yeah, I'm excited to see if I'll get accepted based on my latop's specs. Maybe I'm lucky and ArenaNet wants to test how it runs on really sucky hardware.

trasharmdsister12 said:

Rainbird said:

Good timing indeed! I can assume you want to sign up for the VGC guild while we're at it? You can be in multiple guilds after all, so there's no excuse!

Hold your horses bub! My track record with MMO's is more horrific than my track record with JRPGs. In fact I'd say it's about the same as my track record with females - ABSOLUTELY HORRID! I hope to use the beta to get me excited as I'm loving everything I've seen and heard so far in theory but when it comes to actually playing an MMO I tend to drop it rather quickly in favor of games that feel more alive. The beta will either convince me to get it right at launch or drop interest altogether. If I don't get into the beta then I doubt I'll pick this up right at launch or any time soon (at least 3 months) after.

You have no idea how full of excuses I can be.

Not enough! I can find you several previews from this weekend's closed beta event with citations reminiscent of "This game is worth all the hype" and "One article cannot contain all the awesome I experienced"! 

I'm signing you up for the guild! You won't notice until I'm done renovating the OP, but I'm doing it none the less!

trasharmdsister12 said:
Rainbird said:
Not enough! I can find you several previews from this weekend's closed beta event with citations reminiscent of "This game is worth all the hype" and "One article cannot contain all the awesome I experienced"!

I'm signing you up for the guild! You won't notice until I'm done renovating the OP, but I'm doing it none the less!

You clearly have no idea how bad my track record with the female persuasion is. If you did, you'd think twice about your actions.

I could read all the previews and watch all the videos of the game that I want, but it isn't until I've hit the 10 hour mark with it that I'll know if I'm going to be in it for the long haul. That's typically where I've stopped with a multitude of MMO's, including Guild Wars 1. I just don't know what it is, but they just never seem to click with me and it's a trend I hope to see change with Guild Wars 2. In truth it might be that I fear I'd become so addicted to them that I'd harm my personal life (what personal life? ).

Think of it as Skyrim with better gameplay and a revolutionary way of interacting with the world!

Either way, you're still signed up.