By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy Showdown - Results ---Did your favorite FF win?

Ok here are the results for the the threads I made, some entries shocked me some didn't with their placements.

Voting is closed now.

So we hve 14 titles to ge through (I counted ff10-2 as it was direct sequel)

Final Fantasy X-2

Average Score - 5.34

This came as no surprise to me, ffx-2 is one of the worst. Its themes and girly nature was too much for lots of FF fans to handle and made it seem bad to them right away, even though the battle system is very good. However we had some very good scores for it too, but the overwhelming majority gave it lower scores.

Final Fantasy II

Average Score - 5.67

While known as a decent game the rapid gameplay design switch to make weapons "levellable" was a big criticism of many in the way the feature was handled. Many state the gameplay was broken. Again a few decent scores were given to it, but hardly any 10's or 9's and the overhwelming majority gave it low scores.

Final Fantasy XI

Average Score - 6.13

The game many FF fans refuse to acknowledge as a FF itself. Lots of scores we got were in the good range, a few were lower. Many believe this is a good, deep MMO. Lets hope XIV improves on this.

Final Fantasy I

Average Score - 6.89

The one that started the phenomenon. But now complaints range from it not having aged properly to a few people saying even back then it was inferior to Dragon Quest 2. But 6.89 is a good score nonetheless.

TOP 10

Final Fantasy III

Average Score - 7.12

Any score above 7 is good. So the game did well and broke the top 10. Originally it ws never released in US, it seems it pleased fans.

Final Fantasy VIII

Average Score - 7.23

The lowest rated Final Fantasy from Playstation Consoles on this site. But 7.23 is a great score. However response was shockingly mixed. We had a 0/10 saying its the worst game ever then a 10/10 saying its the best game ever. How can people be so divided on 1 game? How can the range eb "best game" to "worst game"? Complaints ranged from storyline to battle system. But clearly the majority scores were good so its ended up over 7 for its average.

Final Fantasy X

Average Score - 7.73

This score shocked me, I thought it was loved as much as a 7. Anyway complaints ranged from VA's to linearity, some even claimed it ruined the series. While others loved it. Again response was mixed but as its got such a high average the majority liked it.

Final Fantasy XII

Average Score - 8.04

Surprised its ranked this high, after its launch I hated it & all I heard was hate. But 3 years on its looked upon fondly by most. An average over 8 indicates the vast majority liked the game. Maybe my opinion on this game is wrong, I should replay it. However ones that rated it lower had complaints about character development. Its score is so close to out #6th place that it could be a tie between them.

Final Fantasy XIII

Average Score - 8.08

Like I said its a tie between this and FFXII. But an impressive score for the latest released FF. A few years down the lane maybe people will appreciate it more like they have learnt to appreciate FF12 more. Again a score over 8 indicates the vast majority liked the game. Many people did claim the game had a strong cast and battle system, however lower scores indicated that complaints ranged from linearity, no towns, minigames, story. Many people did claim the game had a strong cast and battle system.

Final Fantasy V

Average Score - 8.13

This is a surprise to me. Never thought it would do so well. But fans loved the quirkyness, strong gameplay due to job system & the music. In general it got very favourable scores, but much "lower" scores than its other SNES counterparts.

Final Fantasy VII

Average Score - 8.21

The one that changed everything, the one that made a genre popular in the west. And it got good scores even 13 years after its release. YEs some scores were lower, some claimed it led the series to ruin but the vast majority was very happy and regarded the game a classic, which it is. Complaints included plotholes in the plot, cloud/sephiroth as characters, melodrama, reliance on FMV's to wow people, summons.

Final Fantasy IX

Average Score - 9.01

The highest rated PlayStation Final Fantasy. Huge positive reponse for this game, lots of 10's and 9's. People loved the old charm. However some complaints included the trance system and the slow story. This is Sakaguchi's favorite Final Fantasy so he would be pleased to see this was rated so high. To date its the highest Metacritic Final Fantasy too.

Final Fantasy IV

Average Score - 9.12

The first SNES FF blew expectations back then. The music was the best at the time, the gameplay introduced the revlutionary ATB bar, the story had substance few games had back then. It is loved to this day on here, lots of high scores were seen and hardly any complaints towards this game. It seems the SNES was the Peak for FF as the winner will show.

The Winner Number #1

Final Fantasy VI

Average Score - 9.66

The game destroyed competition. It got so many 10's high 9's. just one score below a9 I believe (maybe 2). Many claimed it was their best game ever, best RPG ever. Lots said it had the best soundtrack & cut scenes in all of gaming. Reponse was overwhelmingly positive. The Opera cut scene was brought up a lot.

Summary:

We had a good competition. It seems the peak of FF was the SNES titles as every SNES title score higher than an 8. The PS1 titles score over an 8 except for FF8. The Ps2 titles score oevr a 8 & a 7 and FF10-2 did 5. The start of the PS3 generation is good as FF13 is over 8. It will be interesting to seehow future titles are recieved. The medievel setting seems to be loved by most fans, maybe Square-enix should go back to that setting for the next FF.

Thank you for voting.

Around the Network

Oh nice. I forgot to give FF6 a 10/10. Nice to see it didn't need my vote.

Surprised to see 13 rated so high, but I guess people are still playing it right now.

I am so pleasantly surprised, my favorite got second! We must have more oldschoolers than I thought! Go SNES games!

Oooh, first 3 are my favorite FF's. Win.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Wow! Never thought I could say that, but that's almost exactly my personal list!

Only V would rate higher than VII! But, excelent taste VGChartz!! :D

Around the Network

Nice list ... shame I didn't see the voting for XII and XIII, I would love to rant about how much I hate them :P

Anyway I want to say good job this was a nice trip down memory lane :D

for me the list is bad, my favorite FF8 is very low, FF7 my other favorite isn't in top 3 & my other favorite FF13 is out of top 5.

Shocker VI won >.>

Makes me sick of the people who fail to recognize FF11.

Nice results... but I don't rated after FFVIII because the time.

1. Final Fantasy VI - Deserve... best RPG ever!!!
2. Final Fantasy XII - Again... second best FF.
3. Final Fantasy IV - Now... third one... amazing.
4. Final Fantasy VII - I loved the game, but it quality is below the others.

The others are great games too... in special Final Fantasy VIII, V and IX.

PS. I didn't play FFXIII yet.

FFVIII way to low IMO, FFIX in a good spot though