By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Cohort Studios: Move is “so much more accurate” than Wiimote

‘Incredibly accurate’ PS Move ‘a step up from Wii

Sony’s new motion control device will allure the core market, says Cohort CEO

Dundee developer Cohort Studios is busy building one of the first PlayStation Move titles to be released – and the group has already heaped praise on Sony’s motion control device.

“The PlayStation Move is a great piece of hardware,” says studio CEO Lol Scragg. “It has a fantastic feel to it and it’s incredibly accurate. We’ve had no issues with it, and the hardware and the libraries have come on well.”

In an interview with Develop, the Cohort CEO said that both Sony and Microsoft’s new wave of motion control peripherals will allure many of the core market who have – in some respects – become vocally opposed to motion control gaming.

“Having used both controllers a lot, I’d say it was clear that the Move controller is so much more accurate [than the Wii]," said Scragg. "And it’s not just across the X and Y-axis either, the Z axis is really accurate as well."

He added: “I understand that, if you read any of the forums, you’ll [see] people state they don’t need motion control, but that’s because they’ve likened motion control to the Wii.

“Once Sony and Microsoft start releasing their own games for their motion controllers, I think the core will come round to it.”

Cohort is currently building an upcoming on-rails shooter, given the working title ‘the Shoot’.

Elsewhere in the interview, Scragg went on to warn that developers shouldn’t insist on developing motion control games for sake of it.

“I don’t think every game can work with motion controls,” he said.

“Some things just don’t fit, and I’m hoping – with these new motion controllers – developers don’t say ‘oh we’ll just force in motion controls’ because it would add something new.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/34618/Incredibly-accurate-PS-Move-a-step-up-from-Wii

Around the Network

I doubt it's much more accurate then a Wiimote with motion plus.

lol^^ it is a case of we shall have to wait and see but ps move as been getting lots of good feedback recently, E3 shall tell us more about ps move then the rest who are currently undediced can make their minds up.
according to the developers it's more accurate because of the camera, so it alway's knows where it is and where is is going, but we all know how seriously to take PR lol

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Cohort Studios...who?

Lastgengamer said:
I doubt it's much more accurate then a Wiimote with motion plus.

If they're both properly calibrated, I'm sure the advantage is marginal.

But there's the rub, the Move will be much better at keeping itself calibrated. There are other tradeoffs where the wiimote will probably edge out the Move, but I suspect gesture accuracy will not be one of them.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

I think I would be surprised if it was the opposite.

A 4 years late  copy of the Wii Remote would better be more accurate.

But that studio might be obviously talking about the standalone wiimote, because ps move is pretty much the same as wii motion plus.

Than the stand alone Wiimote, Yes. Wiimote + Wii motion plus, No. They're almost the same tech.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

This mans opinion must be absolute fact let the victory party begin!

Since I never heard of them, I thought I would look what their experience is of developing games for the Wii. http://www.cohortstudios.com/games . Err. yah. None. So they may end up being right, or they may end up being wrong, but they're saying this based on... what exactly? Dunno.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

It's kinda obvious tho, Move is Definitely more responsive than the wii even with the motion plus...

Simple example: The table tennis game on the Move. the wii has not been able to do what it can do cuz it's mainly precoded commands used in many wii games (top spin, I can't wait to use it lol)

Either way at E3 we will see how Move and Natal will shine :) can't wait

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!