By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Floppy Disk discontinued after 30 Years

I thought they would've been discontinued years ago.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
twesterm said:
Wait, why are people still using floppy's in 2010 in the first place?

Blaspheme.... it's a perfectly viable way to store a digital photo.

Oh yes, I love being able to store 3 photos and being able to use it on maybe 2 total computers in any given areas.  Totally more convenient than any USB flash drive that most any computer made within the last five years can use.

Again, I don't really see why they are still being made in the first place, they died long ago.  I guess some people use them to store 3 photos and others use them to update their BiOS but should we really support the people that don't know any better?

KillerMan said:
Actually I used my floppy drive couple of months ago to update my bios. Sad day indeed =/

did the same

I am sprised they sold 12m still and that too only in japam.i though it was dead already.

I'm surprised it held out this long I mean you would need more than 500+ Floppys to match the space of CDR. Nowadays people usually carry usb drives anyway nobody ready uses CDR anymore.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

But but...how will I play my Number Munchers! And Oregon Trail! And X-Wing?!

Damn you Sony!

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

I'm realizing now that the PC I'm currently using is the first of mine I built without installing on it the FDD removed from the previous. By the way that FDD is still the original one I had on my first 1997 PC (the only desktop of mine I bought prebuilt) and it's still working on the PC that I used until a few months ago and that my mom is using now. Recycling that good old slow mate made me save quite a few bucks along these years, so thank you and RIP.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

No matter how you look at it, it is still sad sad news...

I remember the incredible amount of storage room with the appearance of the 3.5" disc. Oh my the possibilities!

@Twesterm : maybe they were stil being used in countries with a not so much developed computer market? Just like my old Toyota is now being used somewhere in Africa?

edit: ah i see it says domestic... well maybe in some outback corner of japan then?

Wow. It's about time. With flash storage getting cheaper and most computers being built these days without floppy drives it only makes sense. I would much rather have my 8GB flash drive than a 1.44 MB floppy.

Get your Portable ID!

End of 2009 sales predictions:

PS3 - 33 Million     360 - 40 Million    Wii - 75 Million

Wait, it's not dead then. If Sony owned 70% of the market, there's still whoever was making the other 30%. And for whoever that is, they've probably got a lot of incentive to keep doing it now that they just ballooned to 100% of the market.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Farewell! :) you were awesome!!!!!

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!