By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Floppy Disk discontinued after 30 Years

Awww man! This makes me feel so old!

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
^I have pretty much no idea what you just said.

terms in your post I have never heard of/don't understand:

"aub"
perl
uudecode
mtools (unless that was a typing error)
Risc Station
ED FDD (FDD = Floppy Disc Drive, but what's ED?)
Syquest
MO drives

You're joking, aren't you?

...Anyway, just in case, perl is a language, aub was a perl script used when news clients still lacked bynary attachment decoding capabilities, uuencode/decode are encoder and decoder to put binaries attachments into 7bit ASCII news messages, mtools are tools used by Unix systems to handle DOS floppy filesystems, Risc Station was the first IBM workstation to use POWER Risc architecture, that later, adding features from Motorola 88000 Risc CPU (they formed a joint-venture) gave birth to PowerPC architecture, still used in all the current gen consoles, including Cell's general purpose cores, ED was a 2.88MB floppy disc, SyQuest produced magnetic removable disc cartridges and drives in the tens and hundreds MB capacity range competing with iomega Zip  and MO drives are magneto-optical drives, still used in niche markets, while downgraded cheap versions of its close relative and competitor, phase-change optical drives (using only lasers and not a magnetic field too), gave birth to CD-RW, DVD-RAM and DVD+-RW.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

TWRoO said:

"aub" - no clue, sounds like an older program written in perl
perl - scripting language used to automate the process.
uudecode - I think this is a typo for undecode
mtools (unless that was a typing error) - a tool set available on unix/linux machines for manipulating discs using microsofts dos file storage format
Risc Station - RISC is a type of processor. So say a PC using a PowerPC CPU rather than an Intel CPU
ED FDD (FDD = Floppy Disc Drive, but what's ED?) - no clue
Syquest - a brand of removeable hard disk drives.
MO drives - Magneto-Optical drives. Mini-Disc was a Magneto-Optical disc. They could hold a few GB of data.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Sad times indeed, floppies were great and saved my school work many times...

The one nice thing about floppies that USB drives haven't replaced, and I doubt ever will, is that they were practically disposable, like "here's that document you were looking for ... you can keep the floppy".

[edit:  on the other hand, CDRs are pretty much at that point IMO.  That's why they still have a use alongside DVDs.] 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
TWRoO said:

"aub"
perl
uudecode
mtools (unless that was a typing error)
Risc Station
ED FDD (FDD = Floppy Disc Drive, but what's ED?)
Syquest
MO drives

You're joking, aren't you?

I wasn't.... i said pretty early in this thread I have barely used floppy discs at all.

I had heard of perl and risc, but didn't know what they were... and I knew about MO drives (but never really using them I don't tend to shorten it to MO) The res of the list I had never heard of the term, nor did I know anything about your explanation.

However thanks for telling me

Thank god. I hated those things.

death of a legend. long live the new king? usb

We still use them at work as key disks for copy protected software. New versions now have web-based activations, but there still are many cases where we need to use the older software.

And right above my computer I still have disk boxes full of 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 floppies with DOS based games :) Most of the good games were backed up to CDs, but I couldn't afford to do all of them when CDs were $8 each...

nordlead said:
TWRoO said:

"aub" - no clue, sounds like an older program written in perl
perl - scripting language used to automate the process.
uudecode - I think this is a typo for undecode
mtools (unless that was a typing error) - a tool set available on unix/linux machines for manipulating discs using microsofts dos file storage format
Risc Station - RISC is a type of processor. So say a PC using a PowerPC CPU rather than an Intel CPU
ED FDD (FDD = Floppy Disc Drive, but what's ED?) - no clue
Syquest - a brand of removeable hard disk drives.
MO drives - Magneto-Optical drives. Mini-Disc was a Magneto-Optical disc. They could hold a few GB of data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uuencoding

It was commonly used to post binary files in Usenet, encoded as text.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957