By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Classic Nintendo games : why are they so expensive ?

@feded

best of luck tracking down fire emblem i hope you get hold of it, is there nowhere in your native country you can find it.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

Most classic games retain high prices look up Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force for a start.

Supply and Demand makes prices go up and down; it's the basis of the economy. Old classic games are known as classics for a reason so demand is almost always present for these kinds of games. Especially with the new wave of old school-style games on the market as well as other throwback games like Smash Bros., I believe demand has only increased for the people who missed out on these games back in the day.

I think that the most expensive Nintendo game would probably be Earthbound. It costs $70-80 just for the cart and $230 if you also want the guide and the box XP But it's soooooo worth the price of admission.

Its simple. The 'classic' Nintendo games are more expensive because people want to own them in their original version. That's why you will find people paying $40-50 US for a boxed copy of Link to the Past or $60-80 for a boxed copy of Super Metroid. Its not that they're harder to find than other games. Its because they're in more demand.

Frankly, with the deal you get with Virtual Console on the Wii, people should be less picky. 8 bucks for SNES games and 5 bucks for NES games, you'll never be able to match that on Ebay. Not that I want people to change as I sell games on Ebay and I've made quite a lot of money off peoples desire to buy $50 dollar used Dragon Warrior carts or $20 copies of Legend of Zelda.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I've bought a lot of the old classic games, but I've noticed now that the prices of some games have gone down I'm guessing because of the economy. Several months ago a black label good condition complete Final Fantasy Tactics would have gone for $25+ easy. In the past 2 weeks I have seen 4-5 auctions go under $15!

Around the Network
AdventWolf said:
I've bought a lot of the old classic games, but I've noticed now that the prices of some games have gone down I'm guessing because of the economy. Several months ago a black label good condition complete Final Fantasy Tactics would have gone for $25+ easy. In the past 2 weeks I have seen 4-5 auctions go under $15!

ive noticed some go down also, koudelka an srpg on ps1 i used to see it as high as £40 few years ago always wanted it, got mine for £5.99 in pristine condition the price has tumbled.

some others you will find touching the £100 mark, like dragon warrior

another title im suprised on the value is resident evil 2 on gamecube its £25 - £30

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I'm keeping the ones I know will be classic, and the ones I really enjoy playing. The ones I don't like I sell, regardless of whether I think they might become classics eventually or not.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Skeeuk said:
AdventWolf said:

ive noticed some go down also, koudelka an srpg on ps1 i used to see it as high as £40 few years ago always wanted it, got mine for £5.99 in pristine condition the price has tumbled.

some others you will find touching the £100 mark, like dragon warrior

another title im suprised on the value is resident evil 2 on gamecube its £25 - £30

If you're talking about Dragon Warrior, the reason its most likely so expensive in Europe is because they never released any of the Dragon Quest/Warrior games in Europe until Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2.  So it would probably be cheaper to just import a US version of the game than buy one locally from Europe, where they will up the price.

That said, even a used copy of Dragon Warrior can be $20 US and a used copy of Dragon Warrior IV with no box or manual can be anywhere from $40-60 dollars US.

Six upcoming games you should look into: