By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - iPhone captures 72% of Japanese smartphone market

justinian said:
heruamon said:
justinian said:
heruamon said:
kowenicki said:
Hus said:
There goes the whole it sales bad there casue its american.

the gaming market isnt the phone market.

Also, who are the Japanese smart phone makers?

Lets see now. Last time I was there (little over a year or so ago) these were the top Japanese smartphone companies. I don't think any were released in the west.

1) Sharp- their touch screen phone is big in Japan.

2) Docomo - one of their models was a larger iphone "copy".

3) Emobile - the blackberry of Japan.

4) Hitachi - does smartphones.

Just because you never heard of them doesn't mean they don't exist.

This is the market apple is up against.

It's been about 8 months since I was last in Japan, but whenever i when to the electronic stores, I was always surprised by the lack of smartphone presence...so perhaps they didn't push it to the masses. 

That I cannot make a comment on. I was however informed that the phone that was dominant in the "youth" market was the Sharp (not sure of the model, or indeed if it is a smartphone), but Japanese nontheless.

The dominant business phones are the Emobile and the DoMoCo which is similar to the iphone in looks but uses Windows mobile.

When I was in Japan (work related) I was able to have a fiddle with both as most in the office had one or the other and again I was informed that they are popular for business use within the country.

From that experience I know that it is not a cakewalk for Apple in Japan and the Japanese have "homegrown" options to choose from.

Toshiba (Japanese) is also a big player in Japan and even released the TG01 in the UK. Apparently another "iphone killer".

Yet they seem to show apple (an american company) love. The ipod is dominant. Don't sony and every other japanese electronic company make a mp3 player of some sort?

Now tell me. Could you find out on Android presence there? I'm wondering if any manufacturer even has a phone with the OS on it.

From my understanding, its rare for an american company to make any impact in Japan. Apple accomplished the complete reverse of how things normally are since the Japanese influences the west 99% of the time. I'm still waiting for phones to have some of the features the Japanese have, like cell phone cameras that can do quality live streaming of video, as seen in Fast and the Furious Toyko Drift. Those phones exists, but the US never got them. I wonder if our cell networks suck compared to whats available there? are they running like 5G networks. lol

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Well the smaller space of Japan and the large population density probably has a lot to do with it. Thats why Australia for example has terrible internet, we've got almost as much space as the US but only 22 million people.

I'm not sure how that affects mobile networks but its surely more ecenomically viable in a small country with lots of people within it.

Judging by the Smartphones I saw at an exhibition in London showcasing Japanese technology more than 5 years ago, I would think the iphone is a the lower end of smartphone technology.

Isn't there a VGChartz member who lives in Japan that can shed more light on the Japanese smartphone market?

This "American company Apple can succeed in Japan" article is dumb anyway, as phones are mainly japanese made in the japanese market, which is very different from the worldwide market, where, even if the mobile phones aren't made by japanese companies, 80-90 % of their components come from Japan anyway.
Sth like 80 % of any iPod/iPhone product comes from Japan. So this is a silly debate.

And the OP article is clearly spin, like almost every Apple related article. They've done this kind of spin since 2005 at least, copying the MS spin for their Windows Mobile "market" (lol).
This is not new spin tactics, get used to it if you see articles about mobile markets.

Also, it's stupid to compare the iPhone which is relatively new and didn't sell a lot in Japan, to a device like the DS that is 5 years old and sold more than 30 millions units in Japan.

ookaze said:
This "American company Apple can succeed in Japan" article is dumb anyway, as phones are mainly japanese made in the japanese market, which is very different from the worldwide market, where, even if the mobile phones aren't made by japanese companies, 80-90 % of their components come from Japan anyway.
Sth like 80 % of any iPod/iPhone product comes from Japan. So this is a silly debate.

And the OP article is clearly spin, like almost every Apple related article. They've done this kind of spin since 2005 at least, copying the MS spin for their Windows Mobile "market" (lol).
This is not new spin tactics, get used to it if you see articles about mobile markets.

Also, it's stupid to compare the iPhone which is relatively new and didn't sell a lot in Japan, to a device like the DS that is 5 years old and sold more than 30 millions units in Japan.

Not Japan, China makes everything. The iPod and iPhone are made in China as are most electronics.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network

Apple has gotten FAT off ipods and iphones,...that's all that matters. Others are trying to play catch-up, like WinMo 7 and Android, but it's going to be tough. I don't think Apple is going to rest on their laurels like Sony did with consoles, but we will see what kind of reception WinMo7 receives this fall. The same thing goes for the HP Slate and other tablets...Apple jumped the market, and HP Slate is going to have to offer some serious benefits over the gzallion apps for "i" brands.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder