By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game had the best story of all time?

None. I don't think any game has a truly great story.

Around the Network

I've always been pretty fond of the Suikoden series.

PSN: HobsonA

XBL: HobsonA

yog-sothot said:
hard to tell

videogames have so many different ways to tell a story

- pure linear game with a movie-like scenario... I love the MGS games but I think the story is much to cheesy and B-movie like (Kojima himself regrets all the cloning stuff). If I must pick a game with a story only given in cutscenes, I don't know what to chose. Maybe I'd take a game with great writing and voice acting such as Uncharted 2 or Batman AA, even though the story in itself has nothing special
- Shadow of the colossus : simple, pure and 100% associated with the gameplay
- if you consider the story as a plot you can discover step by step within a huge universe with a lot of characyers, I'd say Planescape Torment. It is awesome, very intelligent...
- if you're interested in interactive storytelling, a game like Deus Ex is gorgeous
- when it comes to the moral choices, maybe that the Witcher would have something to say
- if it's the exploration-driven story, I guess games like Half Life 2 or Bioshock are good examples

that's one of the thing I love with videogames, there are many different kind of possible ways to tell a story... Not only the cutscene stuff.

I could not have said this better.

I have a hard time picking best story.  Shadow of the Colossus is simplistic yet deeply emotional and thought provoking.  The Metal Gear Solid series is very complex and explores its themes quite well and has bonus points for have one of the best video game protagonists ever created.  Some(can't judge properly since I haven't played many of the games in the series) of the Final Fantasy games have pretty great stories.  Silent Hill Shattered Memories has one of the best twist endings in recent times even when including all of the storytelling mediums.  Kingdom Hearts has also keep me glued in terms of story which is why I always look past some of their issues.  I forgot about Yakuza 3(the entire series really but I only played the third one).  It has one of the most underrated video game protagonists of all time with Kazuma Kiryu.

Final Fantasy VII (I liked it a lot for some reason) and the the MGS series.

Pong.

On a more serious note, I would have to go with Xenogears. I have never played Planescape: Torment so I can't give an opinion on it.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

final fantasy 7 and 10 had great stories

Here are some of the worthy nominees:
Metal Gear Solid(the series as a whole)
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VII
Shadow of the Colossus
Xenogears

Pick one and your right.

The Mass Effect story line is my fav.

Heavenly sword. I prefer simple stories rather than an overly complicated one.

EarthBound. Mother 3.

ICO. Shadow of the Colossus.

Fallout. KotOR II.

Haven't played Planescape yet, though.