By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why the world lost the pleasure of classic music?

Because older stuff tends to get out fashion and habits.

I think Mozart would question himself why the world lost pleasure in ancient music from the beginning of the millennium...

In 2300 people will question themselves why did the world lost pleasure in Queens and Pearl Jam...

Around the Network

classical music sucks,that's why nobody listens to it. This is'nt the 1700's. lol

I still tune my radio to classical music. It's been several weeks, though. I guess the mood hasn't struck me. My new thing is smooth jazz.

I think that how a lot of people get exposed to classical music make people dislike it. I was forced to learn to play the piano growing up and the instruction was from the Royal Conservatory of Music; which means that as soon as you enter kindergarten and soon after you get the fundamentals down (probably when you’re in grad 2) you’re only allowed to play classical music. When you add the music theory to the mix, and the awful recitals, it doesn’t provide many good experiences with classical music.

Well i think that when people are younger (kids and teens) they generally prefer other types of music.As we get older our tastes tend to stop fluctuating and settle down.Generlly older people like classical music and i think that trend reflects their lifestyle.I grew up listening to Sibelius so i still like him although now im more intrested in bands like Mettalica and Porcupine Tree.

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Around the Network

I mean, i do listen to nowadays music, but there's no need like just one kind of music or just from one era. There is great music in all times, but you have to admitt in matter of passion, melodic complexity, and even longevity it's a genre that is unique. And it isn't like that the music just stopped in time, there are many classical composers of modern era, some of the best composers are in the 1900s...

I just think people just should give a try, put the music and listen it how it is supposed to be listen, paying attention in each sound and devoting that just to apreccianting it, if you don't like it's OK, but many start telling shit witithout listening the music or listening it the same way you listen MGMT.

Anyway, for the young nowdays listening to classical music and aprecciating art is much more maverick than listening to Metallica, it's like breaking rules and stereotypes, not accepting commercial rebellion for angry teens, going against the stream. At least Alex from Clockwork Orange was much more maverick than any punk nowadays.

HappySqurriel said:

I think that how a lot of people get exposed to classical music make people dislike it. I was forced to learn to play the piano growing up and the instruction was from the Royal Conservatory of Music; which means that as soon as you enter kindergarten and soon after you get the fundamentals down (probably when you’re in grad 2) you’re only allowed to play classical music. When you add the music theory to the mix, and the awful recitals, it doesn’t provide many good experiences with classical music.

Yeah, I learned to hate some of the classical music that way. Oddly enough though I still love some of the music I was forced to play, like Chopin and Listz. Then again there is classical music I'm not too fond of, and never was. I like some of, say, Mozart's and Bach's works on the whole they are not among my favourites. I think most of my favourites works are from the 19th century, rarely earlier. I also dislike most of the classical music's singing, be it the church-like choirs or opera.

For years my favourite piece was Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King. I found it on one of my dad's CDs (orchestra performance) and literally begged my piano teacher to have me play that (she refused at first because it was too dificult at that stage, but eventually gave in and it's one of the few pieces I practised for hours and can play without score till now).

I like classical music but I like the modern day version of classical music mainly movie scores and some video game scores even better.

Personally, I blame the education system for this kind of thing. They push creative arts down in favour of core subjects and, to a lesser extent, humanities.

Maybe it's because I come a consumer psychology background... but I blame it on the lack of words and mere exposure effect.

Mere exposure effect is basically a trend that shows, the more you hear something, the more you are going to like it... even if you had a negative opinion of it in the first place.

That's why, often times you hear an annoying pop song and a couple of weeks later you actually find yourself singing along and catch yourself thinking "Wait... I hate this song!"

It's a lot easier for people to hold songs and music in their heads with words, thus making the mere exposure effect stick stronger and people to build up a liking towards it even when before they didn't like it or were just "Neutral."

Another advantage is the ability to find the song... I mean think about it... if you want to know what that song you heard on the radio was, either because you missed the DJ's announcement or just forgot what it was... once again, all you need is the words. You can just type the words on the internet, or tell your friends.

While in classical music... if you miss what the song is... you are SCREWED. Unless you are particularly good at humming in any case. Making it harder to tell what songs you like vs what songs you don't.