By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Supply Will Continue to Be Tight in the Next Few Months

With today's release of the March NPD data, Sony Computer Entertainment America boasted that PS3 "continues to be the only hardware console to see double digit growth both year over year (44%) and year to date (36%)."  PS3 software, hardware, and peripheral sales accounted for 26% of the video game dollar share in March, which was the highest of any console, Sony said. The company also noted that the PlayStation brand made up 31% of the total video game dollar share in March.

The PS3 business was given a great boost in March by God of War III, which sold 1.1 million units for the month. Additionally, the PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIII sold nearly double the Xbox 360 version. Sony couldn't be happier with the momentum it's gained for the PS3 business, but the hardware continues to be slightly hampered by supply problems. 

"The huge appetite for PS3 content and gaming experiences has never been stronger as we continue to bring out great games like God of War III which was the #1 software title in March with more than 1.1 million units sold in less than 3 weeks. We also remain the only console to see double digit growth of 44% when compared to last March and are up 36% at this point in the calendar year. It's no surprise, consumer demand remains incredibly high and PS3 supply will continue to be tight across our retail channels in the next few months," said Patrick Seybold, Senior Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA. "We're experiencing healthy momentum from an already blockbuster lineup of games such as MAG, Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles, MLB 10 The Show, and God of War III in just the past 3 months -- which some would call a great year, but for us it represents just the first quarter of many anticipated games like ModNation Racers, Gran Turismo 5, and others we have yet to announce this year. "

Source

Around the Network

the stock is tight tactic is working well with PS3 methinks.

Anybody who needs a PS3 needs to come to Georgia. There's a ton of PS3's, PSP's, Wii's, and 360's in every electronics store/Wal-Mart that I've gone to.

d21lewis said:
Anybody who needs a PS3 needs to come to Georgia. There's a ton of PS3's, PSP's, Wii's, and 360's in every electronics store/Wal-Mart that I've gone to.

That's because everyone who lives in Georgia is a poor redneck.  JK  ;)

Seriously though, if that's true they must have just recently restocked because I had to go to 4 different stores in GA last month to find a PS3 for my cousin.  It was a best buy that only had a few 250 GB's left.

maximus22 said:
d21lewis said:

Seriously though, if that's true they must have just recently restocked because I had to go to 4 different stores in GA last month to find a PS3 for my cousin.  It was a best buy that only had a few 250 GB's left.

That may be true, where I live everyone is poor and are rednecks and there's always video games and consoles here, we rarely sell out. Sometimes it seems like I'm the only buying games lol

But I haven't seen any PS3's for a while actually, very odd for where I live.

Around the Network

We have been out of ps3's often after tax season. We are still selling plenty of the other two systems - even restocked the wii's yesterday. but the ps3 is ahrd to get in town right now, even with 3 walmarts, a target, gamecrazy, 2 gamestops, and slackers

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

maximus22 said:
d21lewis said:

Not a good time to show this pic of our Mayor, huh?

He may not look like much, but boy can he whistle!! 

*edit* well I'll be damned.  The pic won't upload!

Oh they better be ready for when GT5 comes out,they already fucked up the week GoW III released...I wanna see 500k+ hardware units sold the week GT5 comes out

I've heard that they'll have supply constraints until they sell more than the 360.

well at least it proves sony has a few more exclusives games coming out this year, maybe some new IPs.

I play PC and PS3. The best of both worlds.