By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Custom Firmware 3.21OO Release Imminent

Dumping OFW and updating with OFW is redundant.

Pandora is a hack, you have to break(hack) a connection on the board inside the battery to create one, alllowing MUCH greater ease in installing modified firmware.

Everything else I can swallow, I guess

Around the Network

BTW:

I just read geohots block again. After he explained how he wonts to solve the problem. Sony made a new FW eventually the trick he was going to use wont work anymore.

He probably works day and nite to find a solution for this whole thing. His biggest mistake was promoting his success on his blog. Sony paid attention and immediatly reacted. Maybe it was this time the same. Sony payed attention and changed their new FW.

He wont be able to keep up with Sonys speed. I think there will never be a real CFW and noone will ever play copies. It just wont be possible.

if MS and Nintendo follows. The next gen consoles will be eventually still hackable but it will be impractical and probably noone is going to use it.

Wlakiz said:
slowmo said:

I'll answer the bolded, the rest has zero to do with retail law and is a terrible analogy. 

1.  Lets say for instance your 360 DVD drive board dies and you do not posess the drive key for it.  You can do the JTAG hack or one of the earlier fixes if it is exploitable to retrieve the CPU key on that console and hence decrypt the key vault giving you the DVD key so you can put it into a new drive and it will work fine.

2.  Lets say your 360 comes up with the xmas tree lights fault, this could be recovered potentially in the same manner by dumping the firmware and injecting your keyvault into a CFW which would allow you to then reflash back to stock if you wish.

3.  Lets say your 360 has a E71 error which is a firmware fault on occasions, CFW allows you to fix that too.

4.  On the original Xbox if your HDD died the console was a brick for all intensive purposes.  Guess what CFW would allow you to install another drive and lock it to the Xbox thus allowing it to function again.

5.  The Pandora hack on PSP's can recover some bricked PSP's that failed normal software updates.

I'll not continue much further but I think I've just proved my point you know very little on the subject of CFW and hacking.  Perhaps you should follow your own advice and start reading yourself before attempting to "educate" others.

1. So... the issue is that the DVD board is broken and to replace it you need a signed DVD drive? How does the CFW help you even get the CPU key to sign the DVD? The answer: it doesn't. CFW won't say: OH PLEASE INSERT NEW DVD DRIVE AND I WILL SIGN IT FOR YOU!!111 Instead, it will circumvent the signing requirement. Which means you can never use the stock FW ever again.

2. Or you can dump the firmware and reflash it with a stock firmware... no CFW is required

3. there is a E71 error and reflashing to stock firmware will fix it.. (assuming FW is the problem) :-p

4. Again, if you use CFW, to circumvent the signing process, then you can never use stock fw ever again. If hackers stop supporting CFW, updating back to original will brick your console.

5. Pandora hack is not a hack.. it is modifying your own battery to activate debug mode. Nothing to do with CFW.

You didn't prove that CFW can fix hardware faults, you just showed that they can be used to replace parts on your own- something that M$ would do for you without CFW. CFW can't fix produciton defects and there are more chance bricking through installing CFW  than installing OFW.

1.  Look up JTAG hack, research Xell, come back and apologise because you don't know anything about it and are wrong.

2.  No if you dump stock firmware then reflash you will fix nothing as you need to extract the key vault, decrypt it then fix the issue and reinject into stock firmware.

3.  No reflashing with a update HDD doesn't always fix the issue and neither does a reheat, you obviously haven't fixed that many 360's, I've done thousands.

4.  No you're wrong AGAIN, you could lock a HDD then revert back to stock firmware.

5.  It is a hack

I did just prove it can be used to fix faults, you're in denial because I've just shown your knowledge to be at best severely limited.  You got owned just admit it and walk away, being in denial doesn't make you any more credible.

So how is his CFW coming along?

I personally think he bit off more than he can chew.

Wlakiz said:
slowmo said:
Random Canadian said:

Lol k you win,  your right you paid for something that had no effect on the price.

Anyways so where is this 3.21OO CFW?  DYA expected Geo to make a CFW and then find an exploit in the XMB to execute unsigned code to allow R+RW access to the nand !!

I doubt anything like that is "imminent"

It's not about the price or the feature in the sense that I want to a monetary refund.  It's the principle of a company removing a feature that was sold with a product, it sets a alarming precident and its madness people have just accepted this as being ok for people who care about consumer rights.  I understand if you don't want to care its just tiring hearing people constantly say "It doesn't matter, I didn't use it".  There is no "win" unless you understand now why it is an issue for me.

Just to highlight the bolded that this is another potential bonus of better understanding the FW, it could potentially open up the possibility of fixing some of the more obscure faults like the red error screen which could be nand related too.  If you can dump the nand and fix corrupted parts of it there is some potential to be able to fix these faults without having to pay the first party premium.

As you say, unless Geohot decides to make it a long term project I doubt we will see anything more than CFW for a long time.

It is an issue for you because you cling on to the bubble that you have this magical consumer's right that gives you protection to everything. When you buy an apartment with an ocean view, are you guaranteed that you will have this view forever? NO, a new high-rise would be built, blocking your view in the next 5-6 years.

"Just to highlight the bolded that this is another potential bonus of better understanding the FW, it could potentially open up the possibility of fixing some of the more obscure faults like the red error screen which could be nand related too.  If you can dump the nand and fix corrupted parts of it there is some potential to be able to fix these faults without having to pay the first party premium."

Are you just pulling this out of your ass? You want to tell me that CFW can fix hardware fault problems? Where in the history of CFW and hacked console did these third party software managed to fix hardware fault problems?

"As you say, unless Geohot decides to make it a long term project I doubt we will see anything more than CFW for a long time"

Read his blog, he has shifted his attention to the IPad. He'll do it when he has interest, or when there is nothing else for him to claim fame in.

If by "magical consumer right" you mean consumer protection laws, then those of us in Australia and the EU don't just believe it exists, we know it's there as fact. You refer to time limits, but the EU demands that marketed features which were deciding factors in a purchase remain present for a minimum of 2 years from the date of purchase, in Australia, the minimum period is the warranty period. These are indisputable facts. If you wish to argue with them, then the only one living with "magical belifs" is yourself.

Around the Network
bowspearer said:
Wlakiz said:
slowmo said:
Random Canadian said:

Lol k you win,  your right you paid for something that had no effect on the price.

Anyways so where is this 3.21OO CFW?  DYA expected Geo to make a CFW and then find an exploit in the XMB to execute unsigned code to allow R+RW access to the nand !!

It's not about the price or the feature in the sense that I want to a monetary refund.  It's the principle of a company removing a feature that was sold with a product, it sets a alarming precident and its madness people have just accepted this as being ok for people who care about consumer rights.  I understand if you don't want to care its just tiring hearing people constantly say "It doesn't matter, I didn't use it".  There is no "win" unless you understand now why it is an issue for me.

Just to highlight the bolded that this is another potential bonus of better understanding the FW, it could potentially open up the possibility of fixing some of the more obscure faults like the red error screen which could be nand related too.  If you can dump the nand and fix corrupted parts of it there is some potential to be able to fix these faults without having to pay the first party premium.

As you say, unless Geohot decides to make it a long term project I doubt we will see anything more than CFW for a long time.

It is an issue for you because you cling on to the bubble that you have this magical consumer's right that gives you protection to everything. When you buy an apartment with an ocean view, are you guaranteed that you will have this view forever? NO, a new high-rise would be built, blocking your view in the next 5-6 years.

"Just to highlight the bolded that this is another potential bonus of better understanding the FW, it could potentially open up the possibility of fixing some of the more obscure faults like the red error screen which could be nand related too.  If you can dump the nand and fix corrupted parts of it there is some potential to be able to fix these faults without having to pay the first party premium."

Are you just pulling this out of your ass? You want to tell me that CFW can fix hardware fault problems? Where in the history of CFW and hacked console did these third party software managed to fix hardware fault problems?

"As you say, unless Geohot decides to make it a long term project I doubt we will see anything more than CFW for a long time"

Read his blog, he has shifted his attention to the IPad. He'll do it when he has interest, or when there is nothing else for him to claim fame in.

If by "magical consumer right" you mean consumer protection laws, then those of us in Australia and the EU don't just believe it exists, we know it's there as fact. You refer to time limits, but the EU demands that marketed features which were deciding factors in a purchase remain present for a minimum of 2 years from the date of purchase, in Australia, the minimum period is the warranty period. These are indisputable facts. If you wish to argue with them, then the only one living with "magical belifs" is yourself.

Technically, if what you wrote is true, then they're not at fault it would seem? The OtherOS is still present, just not accessible?

Warning the following post might require moderation.

Fuck Geohot! I am sorry you guys are all fucking butt hurt about the other OS removal but wtf did you buy your PS3 in the first place. I am going to venture a guess and say that it was to play great games and watch blu-rays. If it was so you had something to run linux on then you deserve a kick to the nuts or cunt. WE BUY OUR PS3 TO WATCH MOVIES OR PLAY GAMES. That is the reason to buy one period now once you have bought the system it is okay to enjoy the other features. But please forgive me if I don't join your fucking crusade to save a feature 98% of the PS3 didn't know existed and couldn't give a damn about. I would much rather enjoy my quality online gaming sans other os support than to have gaming turn into the wild west like it has on the 360. If I die in MAG or something I want it to be legit not because some little fuck hole glitched the system and now can head shot through walls or cannot be shot because they are off the map. If that is what you want to do sell your PS3 pick up a 360 and have fun, otherwise shut the fuck up and go play God of War.

bowspearer said:
Wlakiz said:
slowmo said:
Random Canadian said:

Legal take: lawsuit against PS3 v3.21 does not hold water in court?

April 4, 2010
Recently Sony removed the capability to use Other OS functionality in the PS3. This action was taken by Sony in order to preemptively block George Hotz’s PS3 hack. Apparently, some consumers are “thinking” about suing Sony for removing this functionality. Many will be wondering if this suit will hold in court.

George Hotz decided to release his PS3 hack/exploit out onto the Internet not that long ago. A few weeks later, Sony decided to remove Other OS feature, which allows you to install Linux onto the PS3. The exploit/hack created by Hotz requires Linux to be installed. According to Sony, the company made the decision to remove this feature in order to improve system security.

Apparently a few folks are attempting to file a lawsuit against Sony. Currently, there is no actual suit as it has been all talk up to this point.

This seems like an interesting situation so I decided to reach out to a friend that practices IT patent law to get his take on the matter.

He pointed a few interesting things out that software developers usually disclaim in order to CYA (cover-your-ass).

1) False Advertisement argument –

2) Bait and Switch argument –

In conclusion, from the facts on the table it seems like the lawsuit will most likely not hold up in court. Apparently, Sony has done a thorough job of CYA. However, as with any lawsuit, depending on the judge there is no way of knowing how things will turn out.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/04/04/legal-take-lawsuit-against-ps3-v3-21-does-not-hold-water-in-court/

and Sony is not the only one

XBL TOS:
Microsoft may ... upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the Service, any game or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console, or personal computer, from time to time without notice, which may involve the automatic download of related software directly to your original Xbox, Xbox 360 console, or personal computer, including software that prevents you from accessing the Service, playing pirated games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.
Wii Network Services EULA:
You understand that the Wii Console specifications and the Wii Network Service are constantly evolving and that we may update or change your Wii Console or the Wii Network Service in whole or in part, without notice to you. Such updates may be required for you to play new Wii games or continue to access the Wii Network Service. We may also upgrade, change, or terminate the Content or game software or may discontinue offering Products without notice to you.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

cmeese47 said:

Warning the following post might require moderation.

Blah blah blah

Good for you that its not an issue, was it really worth getting risking getting banned over though to try and dismiss others genuine concerns.  I didn't report you though as I understand the frustration of this issue not going away because people proceed to keep bumping it telling those interested in the ACTUAL OP contents that they shouldn't care.  A better option would be to not post and let the thread die or see if Geohot abandons it completely then lock the thread and ban further comment until a firmware is actually released to the public.

The genuine concerns of others was voided when they agreed to the EULA. Sony had clear permission to remove said feature regardless if there reason had merit or not.