By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Custom Firmware 3.21OO Release Imminent

Random Canadian said:

Lol k you win,  your right you paid for something that had no effect on the price.

Anyways so where is this 3.21OO CFW?  DYA expected Geo to make a CFW and then find an exploit in the XMB to execute unsigned code to allow R+RW access to the nand !!

I doubt anything like that is "imminent"

It's not about the price or the feature in the sense that I want to a monetary refund.  It's the principle of a company removing a feature that was sold with a product, it sets a alarming precident and its madness people have just accepted this as being ok for people who care about consumer rights.  I understand if you don't want to care its just tiring hearing people constantly say "It doesn't matter, I didn't use it".  There is no "win" unless you understand now why it is an issue for me.

Just to highlight the bolded that this is another potential bonus of better understanding the FW, it could potentially open up the possibility of fixing some of the more obscure faults like the red error screen which could be nand related too.  If you can dump the nand and fix corrupted parts of it there is some potential to be able to fix these faults without having to pay the first party premium.

As you say, unless Geohot decides to make it a long term project I doubt we will see anything more than CFW for a long time.

Around the Network

Custom FW with out a way to deploy it is useless, its about the same as downloading a PS3 exclusive and burning it to a BDR with no way to load the disc.

"Just to highlight the bolded that this is another potential bonus of better understanding the FW, it could potentially open up the possibility of fixing some of the more obscure faults like the red error screen which could be nand related too. If you can dump the nand and fix corrupted parts of it there is some potential to be able to fix these faults without having to pay the first party premium."

There is still no practical way to write to the nand and with out something like pandoras battery to put the system into service mode and make it flash the nand with a new FW.

You can take your system with the red error screen, dump the nand, find the fault(Big fat maybe), Fix the fault (bigger fatter maybe) and reflash ONLY if you have geo-hacked your PS3 through shocking the system bus (lol) seems easier to update the system which would flash the nand and fix the problem, If it were indeed a corrupted file in the nand.

I feel like im talking in circles.

Random Canadian said:

Custom FW with out a way to deploy it is useless, its about the same as downloading a PS3 exclusive and burning it to a BDR with no way to load the disc.

"Just to highlight the bolded that this is another potential bonus of better understanding the FW, it could potentially open up the possibility of fixing some of the more obscure faults like the red error screen which could be nand related too. If you can dump the nand and fix corrupted parts of it there is some potential to be able to fix these faults without having to pay the first party premium."

There is still no practical way to write to the nand and with out something like pandoras battery to put the system into service mode and make it flash the nand with a new FW.

You can take your system with the red error screen, dump the nand, find the fault(Big fat maybe), Fix the fault (bigger fatter maybe) and reflash ONLY if you have geo-hacked your PS3 through shocking the system bus (lol) seems easier to update the system which would flash the nand and fix the problem, If it were indeed a corrupted file in the nand.

There is already a method of deployment found is my understanding, I don't know what you're on about there.  I know there is no way to write to the nand, you brought that subject up, NOT ME.  It was a hypothetical situation of how CFW can benefit people, thats all.

What the hell does Pandora's battery have to do with the PS3?  I highly doubt we will ever get into the service mode for flashing the nand, everything in that regard will be a hardware hack to write and dump.  Even then it might not be useful to do that given the firmware is split between nand, HDD and the locked SPE.

slowmo said:
Random Canadian said:

Lol k you win,  your right you paid for something that had no effect on the price.

Anyways so where is this 3.21OO CFW?  DYA expected Geo to make a CFW and then find an exploit in the XMB to execute unsigned code to allow R+RW access to the nand !!

It's not about the price or the feature in the sense that I want to a monetary refund.  It's the principle of a company removing a feature that was sold with a product, it sets a alarming precident and its madness people have just accepted this as being ok for people who care about consumer rights.  I understand if you don't want to care its just tiring hearing people constantly say "It doesn't matter, I didn't use it".  There is no "win" unless you understand now why it is an issue for me.

Just to highlight the bolded that this is another potential bonus of better understanding the FW, it could potentially open up the possibility of fixing some of the more obscure faults like the red error screen which could be nand related too.  If you can dump the nand and fix corrupted parts of it there is some potential to be able to fix these faults without having to pay the first party premium.

As you say, unless Geohot decides to make it a long term project I doubt we will see anything more than CFW for a long time.

It is an issue for you because you cling on to the bubble that you have this magical consumer's right that gives you protection to everything. When you buy an apartment with an ocean view, are you guaranteed that you will have this view forever? NO, a new high-rise would be built, blocking your view in the next 5-6 years.

"Just to highlight the bolded that this is another potential bonus of better understanding the FW, it could potentially open up the possibility of fixing some of the more obscure faults like the red error screen which could be nand related too.  If you can dump the nand and fix corrupted parts of it there is some potential to be able to fix these faults without having to pay the first party premium."

Are you just pulling this out of your ass? You want to tell me that CFW can fix hardware fault problems? Where in the history of CFW and hacked console did these third party software managed to fix hardware fault problems?

"As you say, unless Geohot decides to make it a long term project I doubt we will see anything more than CFW for a long time"

Read his blog, he has shifted his attention to the IPad. He'll do it when he has interest, or when there is nothing else for him to claim fame in.

slowmo said:
Random Canadian said:

There is already a method of deployment found is my understanding, I don't know what you're on about there.  I know there is no way to write to the nand, you brought that subject up, NOT ME.  It was a hypothetical situation of how CFW can benefit people, thats all.

The NAND or ROM or whatever you want to call it is where the firmware is stored , if you are admitting that there is no (practical) way to write to it then you are also admitting that there is no method for deploying custom or modified firmware. 

What the hell does Pandora's battery have to do with the PS3?  I highly doubt we will ever get into the service mode for flashing the nand, everything in that regard will be a hardware hack to write and dump.  Even then it might not be useful to do that given the firmware is split between nand, HDD and the locked SPE.

Assuming that PS3 FW is anything similar to PSP, then it would stand to reason that only lesser used modules are stored on the HDD for the FW to use and save on space in the NAND and or system ram footprint.

SPE is used to un/encrypt and execute functions in the XMB and probably only stores the keys to decrypt the firmware and not any actual part of the firmware itself.

Installing CFW on PSP in the early days was a lot more difficult and resulted in a lot of bricks, with the discovery of the battery being able to put the unit into service mode and being able to have direct access to the nand through usb ment anyone could now easily mod their systems.  This took YEARS on an already fully hacked system.  There will not be an Everyman usable deployment method for accessing the nand on the ps3 for a long, long time.  Making any not so imminent release of a now pointless (no deployment) solution to your problem, a laughable notion.

Oh and I wanted to add that Xbox(1) = best EMU box ever.

softmodding xbox's was fun back in the day.

Around the Network
Wlakiz said:
slowmo said:
Random Canadian said:

It is an issue for you because you cling on to the bubble that you have this magical consumer's right that gives you protection to everything. When you buy an apartment with an ocean view, are you guaranteed that you will have this view forever? NO, a new high-rise would be built, blocking your view in the next 5-6 years.

"Just to highlight the bolded that this is another potential bonus of better understanding the FW, it could potentially open up the possibility of fixing some of the more obscure faults like the red error screen which could be nand related too.  If you can dump the nand and fix corrupted parts of it there is some potential to be able to fix these faults without having to pay the first party premium."

Are you just pulling this out of your ass? You want to tell me that CFW can fix hardware fault problems? Where in the history of CFW and hacked console did these third party software managed to fix hardware fault problems?

"As you say, unless Geohot decides to make it a long term project I doubt we will see anything more than CFW for a long time"

Read his blog, he has shifted his attention to the IPad. He'll do it when he has interest, or when there is nothing else for him to claim fame in.

I'll answer the bolded, the rest has zero to do with retail law and is a terrible analogy. 

1.  Lets say for instance your 360 DVD drive board dies and you do not posess the drive key for it.  You can do the JTAG hack or one of the earlier fixes if it is exploitable to retrieve the CPU key on that console and hence decrypt the key vault giving you the DVD key so you can put it into a new drive and it will work fine.

2.  Lets say your 360 comes up with the xmas tree lights fault, this could be recovered potentially in the same manner by dumping the firmware and injecting your keyvault into a CFW which would allow you to then reflash back to stock if you wish.

3.  Lets say your 360 has a E71 error which is a firmware fault on occasions, CFW allows you to fix that too.

4.  On the original Xbox if your HDD died the console was a brick for all intensive purposes.  Guess what CFW would allow you to install another drive and lock it to the Xbox thus allowing it to function again.

5.  The Pandora hack on PSP's can recover some bricked PSP's that failed normal software updates.

I'll not continue much further but I think I've just proved my point you know very little on the subject of CFW and hacking.  Perhaps you should follow your own advice and start reading yourself before attempting to "educate" others.

Random Canadian said:
slowmo said:
Random Canadian said:

The NAND or ROM or whatever you want to call it is where the firmware is stored , if you are admitting that there is no (practical) way to write to it then you are also admitting that there is no method for deploying custom or modified firmware. 

Assuming that PS3 FW is anything similar to PSP, then it would stand to reason that only lesser used modules are stored on the HDD for the FW to use and save on space in the NAND and or system ram footprint.

SPE is used to un/encrypt and execute functions in the XMB and probably only stores the keys to decrypt the firmware and not any actual part of the firmware itself.

Installing CFW on PSP in the early days was a lot more difficult and resulted in a lot of bricks, with the discovery of the battery being able to put the unit into service mode and being able to have direct access to the nand through usb ment anyone could now easily mod their systems.  This took YEARS on an already fully hacked system.  There will not be an Everyman usable deployment method for accessing the nand on the ps3 for a long, long time.  Making any not so imminent release of a now pointless (no deployment) solution to your problem, a laughable notion.

When Geo announced the CFW, I'm pretty sure he stated you would be able to use an exploit to flash the CFW as if it was official firmware as far as the PS3 is concerned.  What I admitted is there is no way to write anything useful to the nand unofficially.  Of course what I didn't say is that there is already a method of writing to the nand that is possible which is an official update, if there is indeed an exploit there, which the posts from Geo early on insinuated then that would be how you install the CFW.

I don't understand your point after that as you seem to be disagreeing with me then, writing exactly what I've said.  There will never be a everyman solution I agree, but then I NEVER SAID there would be.  I clearly stated hardware hack which is not a software deployable solution so I don't get your point. 

The original Xbox was and still is the best EMU box, it's a shame those talented people haven't moved onto doing work on the PS3 or 360 scene now.

slowmo said:
Random Canadian said:
slowmo said:
Random Canadian said:

When Geo announced the CFW, I'm pretty sure he stated you would be able to use an exploit to flash the CFW as if it was official firmware as far as the PS3 is concerned.  What I admitted is there is no way to write anything useful to the nand unofficially.  Of course what I didn't say is that there is already a method of writing to the nand that is possible which is an official update, if there is indeed an exploit there, which the posts from Geo early on insinuated then that would be how you install the CFW.

I don't understand your point after that as you seem to be disagreeing with me then, writing exactly what I've said.  There will never be a everyman solution I agree, but then I NEVER SAID there would be.  I clearly stated hardware hack which is not a software deployable solution so I don't get your point.

The original Xbox was and still is the best EMU box, it's a shame those talented people haven't moved onto doing work on the PS3 or 360 scene now.

Link? This would be a pretty huge security hole that would allow downgrading(in theory) to more ... exploitable versions.

Wlakiz

http://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/jhalderm/aacs-blacklisting-oracles-and-traitor-tracing

"Blacklisting would be a PR and business disaster if it meant a lot of consumers had to throw away their fancy players as a result of a crack. That’s why AACS allows each individual player to be assigned its own unique set of device keys that can be uniquely blacklisted without adversely affecting other players."

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/jhalderm/aacs-game-theory-blacklisting

Its not that hard to create 34 million keys... think of simplified example .. n%m = 0, if n is the encrypted content and m is the key, how many combination of n and m can you have that satisfy this cipher equation? Answer is infinite. Of course, in real life, encryption is done with chain-cipher-blocks which is harder to decrypt and the keys are hash generated which makes it harder to brute force.

Whether or not, Sony has done enough book keeping to keep a record of all device keys and their assoicated Ps3 is another issue, but it is definetly within the technology limit and their power to single out and blacklist specific PS3/blu-ray players.

I am not too certain what kind of information, you want. There are a lot of sites with articles regarding aacs blacklisting device keys. I found the one I just linked with google. Are you more interested in encryption information or DRM system?

Also, my second article about PS3 decryption is to prove to you that PS3 have their own decryption key since you previously thought that all decryption key was on the blu-ray disc opposed to being onthe system.

Thanks. I do understand now, its actually a feature of AACS. It was hard to imagine that they would do things like that. We probably will see the consequences in the future. The problem is still to get the compromised keys and then you can blacklist the product. But nevertheless impressive. Companies have one mayor advantage. The advantage is that they can dictate the rules of the game. And have compared to a hacker extremly big ressources. In the long term the hacker will lose the game imo. 

See the problem why I thought it wont work is:

"(Some serious crypto wizardry is required to enable a huge number of distinct device keys with surgically precise blacklisting, while keeping device memories and disc headers manageably small.)"

That was actually the point which made me a little suspicious, I thought they wouldnt create for every device an own key. It seems it wasnt too easy. If you have millions of corrupted devices you would also have millions of keys in the disc header but they solved it somehow it seems.

slowmo said:

I'll answer the bolded, the rest has zero to do with retail law and is a terrible analogy. 

1.  Lets say for instance your 360 DVD drive board dies and you do not posess the drive key for it.  You can do the JTAG hack or one of the earlier fixes if it is exploitable to retrieve the CPU key on that console and hence decrypt the key vault giving you the DVD key so you can put it into a new drive and it will work fine.

2.  Lets say your 360 comes up with the xmas tree lights fault, this could be recovered potentially in the same manner by dumping the firmware and injecting your keyvault into a CFW which would allow you to then reflash back to stock if you wish.

3.  Lets say your 360 has a E71 error which is a firmware fault on occasions, CFW allows you to fix that too.

4.  On the original Xbox if your HDD died the console was a brick for all intensive purposes.  Guess what CFW would allow you to install another drive and lock it to the Xbox thus allowing it to function again.

5.  The Pandora hack on PSP's can recover some bricked PSP's that failed normal software updates.

I'll not continue much further but I think I've just proved my point you know very little on the subject of CFW and hacking.  Perhaps you should follow your own advice and start reading yourself before attempting to "educate" others.

1. So... the issue is that the DVD board is broken and to replace it you need a signed DVD drive? How does the CFW help you even get the CPU key to sign the DVD? The answer: it doesn't. CFW won't say: OH PLEASE INSERT NEW DVD DRIVE AND I WILL SIGN IT FOR YOU!!111 Instead, it will circumvent the signing requirement. Which means you can never use the stock FW ever again.

2. Or you can dump the firmware and reflash it with a stock firmware... no CFW is required

3. there is a E71 error and reflashing to stock firmware will fix it.. (assuming FW is the problem) :-p

4. Again, if you use CFW, to circumvent the signing process, then you can never use stock fw ever again. If hackers stop supporting CFW, updating back to original will brick your console.

5. Pandora hack is not a hack.. it is modifying your own battery to activate debug mode. Nothing to do with CFW.

You didn't prove that CFW can fix hardware faults, you just showed that they can be used to replace parts on your own- something that M$ would do for you without CFW. CFW can't fix produciton defects and there are more chance bricking through installing CFW  than installing OFW.