By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Amiga tribute thread - 25th Anniversary

I was always jealous of my cousins' Amiga. I had to make do with my ghetto C64 until a friend of mine got a Genesis and sold me his NES.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

I only knew it because of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tjOZZi3TC8&feature=related

OMG SETTLERS!!! I didn't know such an advanced computer existed at that time. I released before the SNES and pwned it in terms of specs.

Did Amiga have Heroes of Might and Magic?

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
OMG SETTLERS!!! I didn't know such an advanced computer existed at that time. I released before the SNES and pwned it in terms of specs.

Did Amiga have Heroes of Might and Magic?

That game was released after C='s demise, it did have some earlier Might and Magic games though.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

libellule said:

Game list too good to be true :

The Amiga had many thousands of commercial games released for it, most can be read about here:

http://hol.abime.net/

In addition there are of course many PD/shareware/freeware games released by bedroom coders as well.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Here a small video of the artist Andy Warhol creating an artwork using Debbie Harry (Blondie) as a model at the Amiga 1000 launch event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oqUd8utr14

The full version of the launch video is included in the Amiga Forever classic Amiga emulation package.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Ahh the good old Amiga. The two games I remember playing a lot of were Moonstone and Lotus Turbo Challenge II

Never to late to become an Amigan. An Ars Technica tech writer without any prior Amiga experience reviewed AmigaOS 4.0 as well as recently AmigaOS 4.1.

His conclusion:

AmigaOS 4.0

"The release of AmigaOS 4 proves one thing: you can't keep a good platform down."

"I can see why its diehard fans have held on to the OS despite having to wait so long for a new version to be released. Call me crazy, but I'm an Amigan now, and will be as long as I can. This OS has struggled past incredible obstacles—both financial and psychological—just to exist, but I'm already anxiously awaiting its successor. "

AmigaOS 4.1:

"Whatever the ultimate fate of AmigaOS, it has been a privilege and a joy to use it. I still use my AmigaOne on a daily basis, and consider it my "fun computer." Whenever Windows or OS X annoys me, it's right there, fast and friendly and accessible. It feels like a personal computer in ways that computers haven't felt like in over a decade. "

An Amiga user explaining why he still uses an Amiga in 2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx3q2wFIn6k

PS3 vs 360 sales

I really loved my Amiga back then, not only for gaming but also for programming. The operating system and hardware was designed really well. The microkernel based system with libraries libraries made it possible to do really great things on a 7Mhz CPU with 512KB RAM.

Also everyone who programmed in assembler on Amiga can tell you how much the custom chips for graphics, io and sound added to the capabilities of the system.

Bit sad that C= never really got the full potential of the system before it was too late. If they would have pushed Amiga more instead of their PCs, the Computer world today could be different today.

Gaming world too. Amiga was making consoles obsolete - it had full abilities of computer and that ease of usage of console.

Hmm i wonder what they will show in the new Amiga. Even if i treasure memories of it i doubt I'd need it anymore

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB