By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NEW DRAGON QUEST Wii - No its not DQ X -

Tbh comparing DQ and MH's popularity in respect to how long each has existed has some flaws, in todays market things are more mainstream and the are a few more factors. In todays market if you hype and push something you can get high sales so a new franchise can rack up sales rapidly, Monster Hunter will never outsell DQ outright as the latter has better appeal to the west and is more accessible, MHFU has sold 4.5m but is out in all 3 regions, DQ has sold 4.3m and is only out in Japan (which MHFU has around 3.6m sales) with Nintendo publishing it in the west, I'll stick my neck out and predict it could push 5m possibly 6m under Nintendo if pushed as hard as first party titles.

This is DQs force in the mainstream compared to MH's mainstream drive, I'm a fan of both franchises but MH is far too complex to combat DQ's simplicity and characteristic charm, both these games are more popular in Europe then the US curiously enough and I'm seeing MH3 ads all over the place over here. MH needs to break it's handheld duck and be successful on non handhelds and Tri is achieving that but to take on DQ I personally don't see it happening as DQ has more chance of taking of in the west then MH and when it does sales could start reaching rediculous levels.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Tbh comparing DQ and MH's popularity in respect to how long each has existed has some flaws, in todays market things are more mainstream and the are a few more factors. In todays market if you hype and push something you can get high sales so a new franchise can rack up sales rapidly, Monster Hunter will never outsell DQ outright as the latter has better appeal to the west and is more accessible, MHFU has sold 4.5m but is out in all 3 regions, DQ has sold 4.3m and is only out in Japan (which MHFU has around 3.6m sales) with Nintendo publishing it in the west, I'll stick my neck out and predict it could push 5m possibly 6m under Nintendo if pushed as hard as first party titles.

This is DQs force in the mainstream compared to MH's mainstream drive, I'm a fan of both franchises but MH is far too complex to combat DQ's simplicity and characteristic charm, both these games are more popular in Europe then the US curiously enough and I'm seeing MH3 ads all over the place over here. MH needs to break it's handheld duck and be successful on non handhelds and Tri is achieving that but to take on DQ I personally don't see it happening as DQ has more chance of taking of in the west then MH and when it does sales could start reaching rediculous levels.

Izo? O_O

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
trestres said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

First off, its a port of an arcade only game, which usually makes people happy when its a fighter or a shoot-em-up. So all the people complaining need to look back and see if they ever complained so much about other games getting ported. Second of all, its a Dragon Quest game, a series 99% of you don't even care about. So this sudden interest to bash it as being a 'cop out' or 'lazy port' is pretty weak just from the principle that most of you just learned what the game is from this announcement.

I for one am glad that the game is being brought to the Wii. Both because I've always wanted to play it and because I've always said they should make a console version. The next best thing to them making a console version itself is porting the original game to consoles, so I may at least have a chance to play it. Even if I have to import it. I can't import an Arcade cabinet and hundreds of cards.

Also @trestres, We've had this discussion before.  Sales and popularity aren't the same thing.  Dragon Quest has a consistent history of ongoing and increasing sales.  While Monster Hunter is relatively new and is just now reaching the monumentally large numbers with the last few titles.  You can't compare as 20+ year series which every title has seen Million plus sales and is a national obsession in Japan to another series which basically started last gen and fluctuated between 1-4 million.

Famitsu is expecting MH to overpass DQ in popularity come MHP3. I think it's pretty safe to compare them, soon enough MH will be Japan's biggest IP in terms of sales outside of Nintendo's own games. When Pokemon became a mega hit no one said it was unfair to compare it to FF or DQ. Nowadays Pokemon is the biggest franchise happan has.

Uh...what?  Famitsu expects?  What, is Famitsu a quotable person now who gauges all of Japans popularity based on monthly polls?

Please do not bring Famitsu down to the level of something like IGN or Gamefaqs.  And my comment still stands.  You can't gauge 'popularity' based on 'sales'.

And as for your comments about Pokemon, people are throwing the 'Pokemon isn't an RPG' card all the time.  I don't, but at the same time, I understand that Pokemon and Dragon Quest have a similar fanbase.  As does Monster Hunter.  You're just the one who seems to be yelling from the hills that Dragon Quest is old hat and Monster Hunter is taking its place.  Its more like all three of the games have a general market appeal in Japan, and that's why they're selling so well.  Just because a Monster Hunter game sells 4 million doesn't mean the next Dragon Quest game will sell badly or be 'less popular'.

Need I remind you, Dragon Quest influenced both Pokemon and Monster Hunter.  And the fanbase knows this.

LordTheNightKnight said:
trestres said:
Cool, that's reasonable. As huge boost I was expecting you to say perhaps double its sales or 50% more. 5 - 10% makes a lot more sense. 500k sounds reasonable for LT sales, and seeing how DQ is very frontloaded, it could come close to that in its first month. But remember not always spin-offs fare well, look what happened to FFCC:CB.

DragonQuest spinoffs tend to fare better than FF spinoffs. Remember that Crystal Bearers outsold Chobobo's Dungeon on the Wii. Plus simply having a big franchise as the name does not sell a game. Chinatown Wars is more proof of that.

CB is basically one of those games Squaresoft made in the PS1 years. Those never sold big either.

The thing about Dragon Quest side games is, they sell real well, but they're not going to move hardware.  They're just made to sell to the existing Dragon Quest crowd.  I'm sure a few people bought a DS for Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker and there might have been a small bump for DQ: Swords on the Wii, but not noticable.  The majority of Drago nQuest side games and remakes sell about 1-1.5 million to an established fanbase.  And its the main titles that sell to the mass market and push hardware.

I know Famitsu's track record isn't impecable, but saying they are irrelevant and mean nothing is pure bullshit. They are a very reputable gaming magazine and a sales tracker. They have been in the industry for many years, so I would say that majority of the people will listen to them rather than listening to you, I'm just sayin'.

Popularity = sales when talking about a product. DQ is still bigger, no one is questioning that, but MH is getting close really fast.

As for the bolded, I never claimed that, so the second part of your post suddenly became irrelevant.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
trestres said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

First off, its a port of an arcade only game, which usually makes people happy when its a fighter or a shoot-em-up. So all the people complaining need to look back and see if they ever complained so much about other games getting ported. Second of all, its a Dragon Quest game, a series 99% of you don't even care about. So this sudden interest to bash it as being a 'cop out' or 'lazy port' is pretty weak just from the principle that most of you just learned what the game is from this announcement.

I for one am glad that the game is being brought to the Wii. Both because I've always wanted to play it and because I've always said they should make a console version. The next best thing to them making a console version itself is porting the original game to consoles, so I may at least have a chance to play it. Even if I have to import it. I can't import an Arcade cabinet and hundreds of cards.

Also @trestres, We've had this discussion before.  Sales and popularity aren't the same thing.  Dragon Quest has a consistent history of ongoing and increasing sales.  While Monster Hunter is relatively new and is just now reaching the monumentally large numbers with the last few titles.  You can't compare as 20+ year series which every title has seen Million plus sales and is a national obsession in Japan to another series which basically started last gen and fluctuated between 1-4 million.

Famitsu is expecting MH to overpass DQ in popularity come MHP3. I think it's pretty safe to compare them, soon enough MH will be Japan's biggest IP in terms of sales outside of Nintendo's own games. When Pokemon became a mega hit no one said it was unfair to compare it to FF or DQ. Nowadays Pokemon is the biggest franchise happan has.

Uh...what?  Famitsu expects?  What, is Famitsu a quotable person now who gauges all of Japans popularity based on monthly polls?

Please do not bring Famitsu down to the level of something like IGN or Gamefaqs.  And my comment still stands.  You can't gauge 'popularity' based on 'sales'.

And as for your comments about Pokemon, people are throwing the 'Pokemon isn't an RPG' card all the time.  I don't, but at the same time, I understand that Pokemon and Dragon Quest have a similar fanbase.  As does Monster Hunter.  You're just the one who seems to be yelling from the hills that Dragon Quest is old hat and Monster Hunter is taking its place.  Its more like all three of the games have a general market appeal in Japan, and that's why they're selling so well.  Just because a Monster Hunter game sells 4 million doesn't mean the next Dragon Quest game will sell badly or be 'less popular'.

Need I remind you, Dragon Quest influenced both Pokemon and Monster Hunter.  And the fanbase knows this.

LordTheNightKnight said:
trestres said:
Cool, that's reasonable. As huge boost I was expecting you to say perhaps double its sales or 50% more. 5 - 10% makes a lot more sense. 500k sounds reasonable for LT sales, and seeing how DQ is very frontloaded, it could come close to that in its first month. But remember not always spin-offs fare well, look what happened to FFCC:CB.

DragonQuest spinoffs tend to fare better than FF spinoffs. Remember that Crystal Bearers outsold Chobobo's Dungeon on the Wii. Plus simply having a big franchise as the name does not sell a game. Chinatown Wars is more proof of that.

CB is basically one of those games Squaresoft made in the PS1 years. Those never sold big either.

The thing about Dragon Quest side games is, they sell real well, but they're not going to move hardware.  They're just made to sell to the existing Dragon Quest crowd.  I'm sure a few people bought a DS for Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker and there might have been a small bump for DQ: Swords on the Wii, but not noticable.  The majority of Drago nQuest side games and remakes sell about 1-1.5 million to an established fanbase.  And its the main titles that sell to the mass market and push hardware.

I know Famitsu's track record isn't impecable, but saying they are irrelevant and mean nothing is pure bullshit. They are a very reputable gaming magazine and a sales tracker. They have been in the industry for many years, so I would say that majority of the people will listen to them rather than listening to you, I'm just sayin'.

Popularity = sales when talking about a product. DQ is still bigger, no one is questioning that, but MH is getting close really fast.

As for the bolded, I never claimed that, so the second part of your post suddenly became irrelevant.

Funny, because you're putting words in my mouth as well.  I wasn't saying Famitsu is 'irrelevant'.  Quite the opposite.  I was trying to point out your comment about how 'Famitsu is expecting MH to overpass DQ in popularity come MHP3.'  And I was pointing out that Famitsu doesn't state wild claims like that.  Because of the entire basis of what I've been trying to say.  You can't base 'popularity' based on sales charts and opinion polls.  Let alone the anticipation of one game.  If that was the case, people could have been saying for months that Final Fantasy was more popular than Dragon Quest simply because it topped all of Famitsu's 'most wanted' charts.  Yet Dragon Quest IX topped those same charts for years before it came out.

Its the same exact thing with Monster Hunter.  Please don't make me pull the 'show us where Famitsu said' card.  Because this whole back and forth about imaginary popularity bumps is getting rather personal and pointless.  Especially since you've already contradicted yourself multiple times.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Famitsu president expects 5 million units of MHP3 sold, that's not based of a poll, but probably from their analysts and Capcom's internal members. Where did I contradict myself anyways?

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

^
Famitsu president also expects 5 million of DQ9 sold. How does it make Famitsu expect MH more popular than DQ?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

If it gets to 5 million it will mean that MH is going to have a game sell more than any DQ game ever released. As for the DQ9 expectations, I don't think that's going to happen, hence why I said Famitsu doesn't have an impecable record. But they are very knowledgeable about the matter and have a lot of data to work with, DQ9 will probably end over 4.5 million sold, but I will have to add that MH popularity is on the rise on a much steeper rate than DQ at the moment judging by how games sold in comparison to previous ones.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
If it gets to 5 million it will mean that MH is going to have a game sell more than any DQ game ever released. As for the DQ9 expectations, I don't think that's going to happen, hence why I said Famitsu doesn't have an impecable record. But they are very knowledgeable about the matter and have a lot of data to work with, DQ9 will probably end over 4.5 million sold, but I will have to add that MH popularity is on the rise on a much steeper rate than DQ at the moment judging by how games sold in comparison to previous ones.

That's a big if.

MHP2/MHP2G never sold that many units in the first two months though and it relies on the best release and re-release and re-re-release to sell to this point after two years. Do you think MHP3 would have the two years time period in Japan to sell?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

EDIT: no idea where this double post came from

saicho said:
trestres said:

That's a big if.

MHP2/MHP2G never sold that many units in the first two months though and it relies on the best release and re-release and re-re-release to sell to this point after two years. Do you think MHP3 would have the two years time period in Japan to sell?

There's no doubt MHP3 will be more frontloaded. If the MHP2/MHP2G situation is any indication, the userbase expanded astronomically from one title to another. I don't think the userbase expansion will be as big this time, but there's no doubt it will bring more people to the table. Also, it will be extremely frontloaded. There's 3.5+ million MHP2G owners right now (Not counting pirates), many of those will go out during the first weeks to buy the game. If Capcom provides enough units, there's no doubt it will sell a lot during the first 2 months. MH is a hardcore fan franchise now after the big expansion. Much like DQ and FF it now has a solid established fanbase. The legs will probably come from newcomers or people that just recently bought MHP2G. I doubt it will take MHP3 very long to reach MHP2G numbers. It will manage them in much less time I'd say.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies