By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NEW DRAGON QUEST Wii - No its not DQ X -

trestres said:
Shonen said:
trestres said:
Shonen said:
trestres said:
Shonen said:
I ok with ...it will give japan they DQ fix until X come out. also will give the wii a huge sales boost in japan that its needing.

I'm wondering, how will this give the Wii a huge sales boost? A 3 year old arcade port?

You dont really make any idea of how big DQ is in japan ...

Doesn't matter how big it is. Last I heard Monster Hunter is as big or even bigger than Dragon Quest, but the Monster Hunter G port on the Wii didn't give the console a "huge boost" in fact it didn't even move consoles.

I will not argue with you , i will just tell you to go out and look what for the Monster Hunter title that sold over 8M copies ^^ ...also its not a port from a game that you all ready own its a Port of a arcade game , and this is totally different cuz one thing is buy something that you all ready own and other is take to home something that you must pay everytime you wants to play , also the cards are very popular with over 200M sold so far , this married with the DS-i app that reads those cards to be used on the wii game and this game can (i think it will) be Huuuuge japan .

Which DQ game has gone over 8 million in JAPAN? None. I don't see how the rest of the world is even relevant in this conversation.
Who said everyone buying ports already owned the game? That's just BS you just made up.
I'm not saying this won't sell on its own, but I'm telling you not to expect a huge HW boost for the Wii, it makes no sense and it's not going to happen. Plus what's your definition of huge boost? Perhaps a huge boost for you is 5k? Set some parameters.

Oh i was wrong none DQ ever sold 8M in japan sorry ... but anyhow , no Monster Hunter game sold over 4M in japan ... so makes no sense , and yeah i could be with you that , but the problem that the "Boost" concept is little vague ...that why i not gonna do it , but i will say that it will make Wii sales boost on 5~10 % in the week that it comes out , against the 2 week that will come before the release. maybe more , i think that the game itself will sell goods 500k in the first month . * peace * 

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

Around the Network

Cool, that's reasonable. As huge boost I was expecting you to say perhaps double its sales or 50% more. 5 - 10% makes a lot more sense. 500k sounds reasonable for LT sales, and seeing how DQ is very frontloaded, it could come close to that in its first month. But remember not always spin-offs fare well, look what happened to FFCC:CB.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
Cool, that's reasonable. As huge boost I was expecting you to say perhaps double its sales or 50% more. 5 - 10% makes a lot more sense. 500k sounds reasonable for LT sales, and seeing how DQ is very frontloaded, it could come close to that in its first month. But remember not always spin-offs fare well, look what happened to FFCC:CB.

DragonQuest spinoffs tend to fare better than FF spinoffs. Remember that Crystal Bearers outsold Chobobo's Dungeon on the Wii. Plus simply having a big franchise as the name does not sell a game. Chinatown Wars is more proof of that.

CB is basically one of those games Squaresoft made in the PS1 years. Those never sold big either.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I'm surprised it took so long. DQ Swords was an average game at best and is one of the best selling third party titles in Japan this gen. I figure SE would have put more DQ spin offs on Wii after Swords sold so well.

palancas7 said:
miz1q2w3e said:
how lame >_>

can it get worse than this?

Yes.

Dragon Quest vs Ninjabread Man spin-off.

Oh wait, that would actually be awesome.

Dude, if you start a petition I will lead the charge.

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

Around the Network
trestres said:
Cool, that's reasonable. As huge boost I was expecting you to say perhaps double its sales or 50% more. 5 - 10% makes a lot more sense. 

5-10% makes sense, yes, but that isn't a "boost", that's in the range of "natural fluctuation" .. 5-10% of 30k is 1.5-3k more ...

LordTheNightKnight said:
trestres said:

DragonQuest spinoffs tend to fare better than FF spinoffs. Remember that Crystal Bearers outsold Chobobo's Dungeon on the Wii. Plus simply having a big franchise as the name does not sell a game. Chinatown Wars is more proof of that.

CB is basically one of those games Squaresoft made in the PS1 years. Those never sold big either.

I was talking about brand popularity mostly. My point is that not because the game is part of a big franchise it will obligatorily sell well and move hardware. For example the Pokemon spin-offs on the Wii performed rather poorly in comparison to the main games. I don't think this time a port of a spin-off wll set the charts on fire or move lots of HW. It will be just another decent release, in the vein of RE:DSC or PokePark Wii.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Lafiel said:
trestres said:
Cool, that's reasonable. As huge boost I was expecting you to say perhaps double its sales or 50% more. 5 - 10% makes a lot more sense. 

5-10% makes sense, yes, but that isn't a "boost", that's in the range of "natural fluctuation" .. 5-10% of 30k is 1.5-3k more ...

Yeah, that's why I asked. I would never consider a huge boost the same as a margin of error or a fluctuation. Huge boost or the like should be anything lifting HW 50% or more.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

First off, its a port of an arcade only game, which usually makes people happy when its a fighter or a shoot-em-up. So all the people complaining need to look back and see if they ever complained so much about other games getting ported. Second of all, its a Dragon Quest game, a series 99% of you don't even care about. So this sudden interest to bash it as being a 'cop out' or 'lazy port' is pretty weak just from the principle that most of you just learned what the game is from this announcement.

I for one am glad that the game is being brought to the Wii. Both because I've always wanted to play it and because I've always said they should make a console version. The next best thing to them making a console version itself is porting the original game to consoles, so I may at least have a chance to play it. Even if I have to import it. I can't import an Arcade cabinet and hundreds of cards.

Also @trestres, We've had this discussion before.  Sales and popularity aren't the same thing.  Dragon Quest has a consistent history of ongoing and increasing sales.  While Monster Hunter is relatively new and is just now reaching the monumentally large numbers with the last few titles.  You can't compare as 20+ year series which every title has seen Million plus sales and is a national obsession in Japan to another series which basically started last gen and fluctuated between 1-4 million.

Famitsu is expecting MH to overpass DQ in popularity come MHP3. I think it's pretty safe to compare them, soon enough MH will be Japan's biggest IP in terms of sales outside of Nintendo's own games. When Pokemon became a mega hit no one said it was unfair to compare it to FF or DQ. Nowadays Pokemon is the biggest franchise happan has.

Uh...what?  Famitsu expects?  What, is Famitsu a quotable person now who gauges all of Japans popularity based on monthly polls?

Please do not bring Famitsu down to the level of something like IGN or Gamefaqs.  And my comment still stands.  You can't gauge 'popularity' based on 'sales'.

And as for your comments about Pokemon, people are throwing the 'Pokemon isn't an RPG' card all the time.  I don't, but at the same time, I understand that Pokemon and Dragon Quest have a similar fanbase.  As does Monster Hunter.  You're just the one who seems to be yelling from the hills that Dragon Quest is old hat and Monster Hunter is taking its place.  Its more like all three of the games have a general market appeal in Japan, and that's why they're selling so well.  Just because a Monster Hunter game sells 4 million doesn't mean the next Dragon Quest game will sell badly or be 'less popular'.

Need I remind you, Dragon Quest influenced both Pokemon and Monster Hunter.  And the fanbase knows this.

LordTheNightKnight said:
trestres said:

The thing about Dragon Quest side games is, they sell real well, but they're not going to move hardware.  They're just made to sell to the existing Dragon Quest crowd.  I'm sure a few people bought a DS for Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker and there might have been a small bump for DQ: Swords on the Wii, but not noticable.  The majority of Drago nQuest side games and remakes sell about 1-1.5 million to an established fanbase.  And its the main titles that sell to the mass market and push hardware.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

trestres said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
trestres said:

I was talking about brand popularity mostly. My point is that not because the game is part of a big franchise it will obligatorily sell well and move hardware. For example the Pokemon spin-offs on the Wii performed rather poorly in comparison to the main games. I don't think this time a port of a spin-off wll set the charts on fire or move lots of HW. It will be just another decent release, in the vein of RE:DSC or PokePark Wii.

Okay, I understand that context.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs