By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone here play/played MW2 or Gears of War (1/2) for the story?

I actually like the stories in both Gears of Wars. They're incredibly simple, but the dialog is just so awesome and overloaded with testosterone that I can't help but laugh.

"I heard there's a shit ton of grubs down there, sir."

"Try ten shit tons."

Around the Network

To many complain about games having apparantly bad stories. I have seen so many films and read so many books that have just as bad or just as good stories.

I did play these games in OP for story. As well as Online. For example, I enjoyed Mass Effects story so far more than 90% of Scifi books or films Ive read.

Stop slating game stories because writers and film buffs say so people. I happen to think game stories are more involving because you have input. Something a film will always and forever lack. Same with books.

Long live GAME STORIES!

For me, I enjoy the 'campaign' of Gears more than the 'story', if that makes sense. Like, I like all the cool things that happen and I like the characters (especially Cole and Baird), and I like seeing what happens to them, but I don't particularly care about what happened in the Pendulum Wars or why the Locust are attacking.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
For me, I enjoy the 'campaign' of Gears more than the 'story', if that makes sense. Like, I like all the cool things that happen and I like the characters (especially Cole and Baird), and I like seeing what happens to them, but I don't particularly care about what happened in the Pendulum Wars or why the Locust are attacking.

pretty much this.... I only did the story in coop, but I enjoyed it greatly.

I prefer coop MP than regular MP, so that means the story mode.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

disolitude said:

These games have story which is lacking...but at least its coherent and it takes up less than 10% of the time spent with the game.

So I don't think anyone should bitch that these games have lame story. And no one should certanly play them for their story alone.

MGS4 on the other hand...

And what about MGS4?

OP@ I personally don't really care much about stories. I play games because of the gameplay. But if the stories are good, then that's a bonus and if they're stories like MGS4, Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain for example, where I'm 'pulled' into the story, then that just adds even more to my gaming experience.

I did look forward to Modern Warfare 2's story because COD4 had a really good campaign but MW2 was underwhelming in comparison to COD4 and I play Gears of War 2 when I'm at a friend's house. And I've never played the entire campaign of neither Gears 1 or 2, just a few levels here and there so I don't really have a good grasp of the story. But I play CO Op with my friend because I love the gameplay and hence why I love Gears.

Around the Network

Gow

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

I bought and played Gears initially because I liked the atmosphere.

I did