By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis 2: How better will PS3 port be compared to Xbox360?

The developers of Crysis 2 have been talking lots of sh*t about the other FPS (Halo) and other supposedly the graphic kings of console video games (God of War 3 + Uncharted 2).  And supposedly, Crysis 2 will hit the "graphic ceiling" for the PS3.  Not much talk about the Xbox360 version.  If Crysis 2 does turn out to be the best looking PS3 game, then how does the Xbox360 version keep up? 

Around the Network

We have no idea until we see them in action, nuff said.

It won't compare, the PS3 versions will be lightyears ahead of the 360... much like the jump from a gameboy to a High end PC. The PS3 has the all mighty CELL so it is boundless.

I'm guessing that is the answer you want.

.... that or the difference will be marginal.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Any developer who claims to have used "x% of a console's capabilities" (maxed out being another way of saying that sentence with x = 100) is talking shit, occasionally because they don't know anything but more likely because they know that it is a cheap way to get advertising. I could write code that uses 100% of my (quite shiny) computer's resources and all it does is say hello world. There is no such thing as a graphical ceiling - all code contains inefficiencies and can thus be simplified, allowing the same code to run with less resources (or more to be done with the same resources)

They would have shown off the PS3 version if it was actually better at this point. Its quite likely that they are indistinguishable.

Tease.

Around the Network

there is no port from what I understand. Crysis 2 is being developed on new Crytek 3 engine which apparently has been designed from scratch for PC/PS3/360 and allows for simultaneous use of assets, etc.

Clearly due to different renderers, etc. between PS3/360 there will be some differences but according to Crytek (the only real source we have at this point) they will be more or less identical.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

if crysis 2 works on the PS3 version after it ports it, then it will be by far superior. the cpu's of the 360 and ps3 are far diffrent, the one of the 360 is divided into 3 parts a gpu. and two cores. the one of the ps3 has one core, and 7 other "subsections" ( which are never used except in ps3 exclusives.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

If there going to do it right, the difference will be quite significant. But in reality Crysis 2 on the PS3, isn't going to look even close to Killzone 2 which serves as proof that there not 'maxing the system'.

Maxing the system means nothing, really. They probably ARE using all of the processing power, effectively 'maxing' the system, but if there code isn't optimised properly there not going to be using it in an efficient manner and in turn it won't be producing the best results.

As a multiplatform developer both versions will be the same, in the interest of parity. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 version is slightly worse just because PS3 development is generally more difficult, and I'm not sure how lazy a developer Cryek are.

In the end, if you're a PS3 owner, Crysis 2 isn't going to be a big deal, and isn't going to be raising any graphical bars for the system. Judging by the god-awful console footage we saw at GDC anyway.

The assumption being made is that 360 can't possibly take the console graphics crown now that the Sony 1st party studios have flexed their development muscles. That's a pretty bold and arrogant assumption. I'm not sure it's necessarily the consensus assumption. 2010 might prove there's still plenty of graphical grunt in the 360 yet. Or it may show otherwise. It's not impossible that Crysis 2 on PS3 will be the best looking PS3 game to date and that Crysis 2 on 360 will be better looking than the PS3 version. Is it likely? I don't think it's likely, but it's not out of the question.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

"one of the 360 is divided into 3 parts a gpu. and two cores."

Hmmmm! And all this time I tought that Xbox360s CPU has 3 cores and every core can handle two threads and it has separate GPU made by ATI. Or are you talkin about this rumored new slim model of Xbox360 where should be integrated CPU and GPU? If you are, then could you tell me how MS has planned to get original Xbox 360 games running just in two cores if third one is GPU?