By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which SEGA Franchise Deserves a New Sequel?

Which SEGA Franchise Deserves a New Sequel?

Panzer Dragoon 12 14.63%

Shenmue 34 41.46%

Skies of Arcadia 15 18.29%

Golden Axe 7 8.54%

ToeJam & Earl 4 4.88%

Other 10 12.20%

Total:82

I've been on a Master System/Mega Drive (Genesis)/Sega CD/Saturn/Dreamcast kick lately.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, which series would you vgcharterz like to see have a reincarnation?

I personally would like a decent Golden Axe game, NOT BEAST RIDER!  But, would be more than happy for the final chapters of Shenmue.

GETTIN' CHRONOCRUNK

Around the Network

Streets of Rage and Vector-Man

The only franchise I want to continue is Shenmue. I'll buy whatever console it appears on.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Lots of them... sega is the master at killing franchises!

First the 1st generation of killed franchises that deserve another chance:

Master System:

Alex Kidd - The legend himself. I kidd you not, I find his first game - miracle world - better than Super Mario Bros. Great and colorful graphics, catchy tunes, excelent gameplay and a little bit of cool story. And a cute character, with big ears who also looks like a monkey! What else could we ask more? Too bad Sonic killed it, being more hip and kewl - because we all know that in the 90's you had to be kewl!

But it was not sonic that actually killed it. Sega was already torturing us - and alex - before that, with incredible crappy games, including releasing a horrible game that was actually not Alex's - a la Mario 2, only the game sucked balls (alex kidd in hi tech world). The one on the genesis - enchanted castle - was the last nail on his coffin. Now he's only part of history, serving mostly only as the 'did you know alex was sega's mascot before sonic" trivia everywhere! We miss you alex kidd, the man!

Wonder Boy - Oh, the best franchise of the master system era... with 2 good games and one GREAT game. In fact, so great it's to me the second best 8 bit game ever, second only to the legedary Mario 3 on the NES. Of course I'm talking about wonder boy, the boy wonder. The first game was good, an adventure island clone (even though it is the other way around, he was copied) with great action and a 5 second tune that sticked in my mind forever. The second one changed the formula completely, introducing some RPG elements, like money and items and puzzles, while maintaining the action. The third one - The Dragon's Trap - is a masterpiece. A huuuge open world (for the time) with lots and lots of cool places to go, lots of secrets and the best of all, 6 playable characters (which could be swapped on the fly), all with different abilities (one could fly, the other swin, etc...). Adding to that, some of the best graphics and sounds of the era makes this one of the masterpieces of the 8 bit era, no doubt about it. After that, Wonder boy had a shot on the Genesis with two mediocre games (again, sega killing it) and vanished from the gaming world. Another huge loss, and the closest to zelda sega ever got without actually copying it (or in other words, not counting the copycat Golden Axe Warrior)

Zillion and Psycho Fox were also cool on the Master System too, but they weren't actually franchises to begin with. So, even though they deserved another chance at the time, their time is over - no chance what so ever for a return.

All of your choices deserves a new sequel especially Shenmue and Panzer Dragoon. Another SEGA game that isn't one of your choices that really needs a sequel is Shining Force 3.

Around the Network

Panzer Dragoon dammit !!

Shenmue for sure.. that franchise is amazing

By my account 3 games of Sega should have the blockbuster treatment , by that I mean big production values, Shen Mue because it was the only game in the industry that put the production cost to actually make a STELLAR game and a perfect hybrid of genres with cinematic quality rather than a shiny shit of marketing pit hole the today developers are feeding us. Yu Suzuki is Sega's Miyamoto and second in my book of favourite developers. But I don't believe the majority of the today gamers will appreciate this game like they didn't in the dreamcast days.

Second is Panzer Dragoon Saga RPG another great game that never saw the success it should have. Great production values hybrid of the shooting game and RPG genre, customizable system of your dragon's affinity depending the situation you were in, perfect real time flying combat. A story that put you down like some little in number games before. Then again gamers preferred to ignore it again because it was on the sega saturn.

A co-op Golden Axe and I really enjoy the Beast Rider for what it was a good action game, if it had a co-op mode then most of the reviewers bitched about it would score more on there stupid reviews.

Shenmue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Panzer Dragoon, specifically Panzer Dragoon Saga.