By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Android and the Iphone are a threat to Sony and Nintendo good reason why !

<3 i love my phone nokia n900

Around the Network
cAPSLOCK said:

Good question, but yeah I didn't think about contracts. We'll see what it does but I don't think phones will be replacing portable game systems. Again, I think it's a different market. My guess is we'll see something like what we saw with the PSP--hardware sales, but why buy what you can get for free? So no software sales.

If it does and Nintendo ends up leaving hardware all together they're going to make a fuckton of cash making games for half a billion to billion units instead of a measly 100,000,000 or so.

We might not care about gaming with smartphone but for casual who only wants short mobile games those machines remove any point in having DS or PSP as separate system.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

mrstickball said:
Qays said:
I'd say that Android isn't a threat to Sony so much as it is a tremendous opportunity. If Sony makes the PSP2 run Android it can effectively market it as a lifestyle/utility device to compete with Apple in addition to a gaming device to compete with Nintendo.

Absolutely true.

If Sony could leverage Android as a distribution platform for PSP-quality games....It would be a massive win for Sony. Especially if they put the games on non-Sony phones as well, and ensure that they get a cut of the revenue. IMO, I see that as being the best 'endgame' scenario for Sony - create your own line of gaming phones, and distribute an in-marketplace app to sell PSN games to other Android users.

I agree. Sony is going to take same strategy with PS4. It's going to run on either Linux or Windows and Sony is going to make all the PS4 games available to all Linux/Windows users too. It's a massive win for Sony.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

cAPSLOCK said:
No it's not going to send the 3ds to its grave. An android is like $400! This same argument popped up in PS3 vs Wii speculation. "oh it'll have feature feature feature feature blah blah blah blah"

Doesn't matter, it's a different market. Yet another lesson (which miraculously no one has managed to figure out on these boards) this generation is that there are different gaming markets. It's not just "games" as one big overarching thing.

Same reason PSP is a massive, hilarious failure in the west. Different platforms need different games.

um.. not all Android Phones cost that even the fact you can get a full android OS phone for less than $200.00 and that's without needing a 2 year contract.

so selling 50+ million handhelds is now a failure! people like to bring up PSP game's don't sell and that their crap. , but yet those very same game's are pirated to hell an back, why pirate them if people think their crap!, because they can?. if the game's were that bad why pirate them at all? or is the game's for the PSP good and many gamer's want them but do not want to pay for the game's?  but yet you here many say that the PSP game's their crap and no one want's them. the same thing happened to the dreamcast Piracy was also a big problem the system was top notch, it's just pretty much every game that was made for the dream cast was pirated. the same happened to the PSP. pretty much any UMD game that came out for the PSP the content's would get dumped straight to the internet as to say it was "backup"

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

for the record this is the android.

I don't get why so many people think Nintendo is going into the mobile phone business or even microcomputer business.

Consoles != PC so would would a portable console = a portable a PC?... well the PS3 is kind of PCish though, but it's totally not up to the same stuff a PC is.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network
dib8rman said:

for the record this is the android.

I don't get why so many people think Nintendo is going into the mobile phone business or even microcomputer business.

Consoles != PC so would would a portable console = a portable a PC?... well the PS3 is kind of PCish though, but it's totally not up to the same stuff a PC is.

well that's the first G1 an just one of the 36+ android OS based devices..

I don't think myself that Nintendo would go into the cellphone or Microcomputer business as you would say.

since they do not have to be since other companies have done it for them. did you know the Gameboy Advance an Advance SP had a phone adapter!

example:

GameBoy Phone Home

Got a Nintendo GameBoy Advance? Instead of a videogame cartridge, clip on a Campho Advance from Digital Act, and turn your handheld gaming device into a videophone - complete with digital camera, microphone and earpiece.

For now, connections are via a regular phone jack - broadband and wireless connections are in the works. The GameBoy display streams live video of the person on the other end of the line, with your own image in a corner of the display.

Naturally, the other person requires a similar setup. And, for now, you both need to live in Japan, as developers aren't saying when (or if) they'll sell the Campho Advance overseas.

http://www.gadgetmadness.com/archives/20030912-campho_advance_game_boy_advance_videophone.php

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Iphone is threat to PSP alright, but Android is the bread and butter of Sony Ericsson, how can Sony a threat to Sony?

Nintendo on ther other hand will still sell trillions of their 3DS, under 10 children playing Pokemons 3D are very very unlikely to have a handphone, dont u think?

Nintendo go buy Palm. http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/11/bloomberg-palm-is-up-for-sale/
Slap WebOS on the 3ds sell the unlocked version as you normally would and the locked version through as many carriers as possible.

mrstickball said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
And how is any of this a threat to Nintendo? Gaming on Iphone and Android is an afterthought, not to mention, Nintendo has the games that keep bringing in people, not to mention, Nintendo is about to launch a completely new platform which will likely see explosive growth

Despite it being an afterthought, gaming on the iPhone and Android sure are growing at a breakneck rate.

Nintendo does indeed have games that bring in people - but so do many developers. If these developers start supporting phones seriously (and many have to success), then the phones will be very prominent gaming devices.

I'll gladly take on a bet with you: Android hardware will outsell 3DS hardware 2:1 after launch.

How many games have outsold Nintendo's big titles, like Mario and Pokemon?

They are growing, but are they a threat to Nintendo, well I don't believe so, as we can see from continued DS sales, even now in its last few years.  So even if it grows larger than Nintendo in sales and hardware, will it in any way affect Nintendo?  All signs point to no, at worst it'll just be another split in the market.

Sorry stick, you know my long standing policy of not taking any bets, I think the whole bet thing is stupid

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

joeorc said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
And how is any of this a threat to Nintendo? Gaming on Iphone and Android is an afterthought, not to mention, Nintendo has the games that keep bringing in people, not to mention, Nintendo is about to launch a completely new platform which will likely see explosive growth

that may be seen as that way for some. but the problem is Now smartphones with Chips like PowerVR and Tegra Graphic's chips allow very roubust graphic's on cellphones that even beat the PSP and DS. now granted it's all about the game play experience, but with capabilities of these new smartphone's they can be dedicated game machine's in their own right. and some 3rd party development studio's and publisher's are taking notice.

the Dedicated game system, just like the dedicated PDA was

when smartphone's was first on the scene, many moved on to the smartphone over the dedicated PDA.

the same may even happen to dedicated Game handhelds market share may start to feel the pinch because of it. even Nintendo with it's great game's not many people want to carry 2 handheld's at a time. the big problem is many Smartphone's have such powerful and robust hardware not even the PSP or the Nintendo DS has the capability of some of the newest Phone's.

Now i am not saying that the Nintendo DS would go completly away or anything, but the market share for gaming now that Smartphone's are more than Viable unit as portable game machine's. Many 3rd party development that only developed for the PSP. OR DS may also now fully back the smartphone's as well. which now also add's in another form of viable market split.

the Iphone and Android are such 2 smartphone platform's add in Window's mobile and now you have more Handheld's competing for gamer's $$$.

But that still doesn't expalin how its a threat to Nintendo, all it does is split the market, ok, how does that hurt Nintendo's bottom line, even with "explosive growth of the smartphone gaming", DS is still chugging along strong, even now after the 3DS has been announced

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)