By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata is a busy man: Had to deal with 700 issues due Wii popularity

People tought that Nintendo is at its best, sleeping in a bed filled with golden coins and having parties like no tomorrow..... well not, seems like Nintendo's success was apparently too much for the company.

Part of the reason for this, the report states, is that the rapid spread of the Wii and DS globally and online expansion efforts resulted in a greatly increased workload for a number of Nintendo branches. The company’s network development department in particular voiced dissatisfactions with their workload. Furthermore, Nintendo’s software development teams were so busy creating sequels to existing popular I.P., they were unable find the time to dedicate themselves to the development of new franchises.

At the start of 2009, Iwata compiled a list of Nintendo’s internal problems. The list, shockingly, amounted to nearly 700 items. There’s little doubt that Iwata’s concerns regarding third-party developer relations were a prominent part of it. Another significant problem reported was “unexpected accidents in communication between branches,” which also points to management issues.

The solution to the company’s understaffed management problem was outsourcing. Rather than ramp up the size of Nintendo’s staff significantly — although, the company did expand by about 300 employees in 2009 — Iwata thought to entrust auxiliary and “low-priority” software development to external firms.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/11/nintendo-teams-had-difficulty-coping-with-explosive-growth/

Mmmh that'd explain many things in Nintendo.

Around the Network

Good thinking; they don't have to do everything by themselves. No man is an island entire to himself.
Also, getting those 300 employees is key; new IPs are necessary.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

makes Other M make more sense, at any rate.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Well... keep up the good work, Iwata. They are amazing.

Funny, I would have thought this type of report would have been the MO from last gen, not this gen. But I guess it just shows what happens when a company goes from stagnant to bursting overnight. Your entire company model has to change and you can't do that with the same resources and number of employees.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

That's quite a problem to have.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Fire the lazy bastards if they don't want to work and raise the wages because I doubt sony is having that problem if they just got god of war 3 and we get wario diy...........

I bet Nintendo had alot of problems!

With their online servers they probubly didn't expect to get so much online activity. They would have been hard pressed to keep Nintendo's online network running despite the high traffic. Virtual Console etc...etc... would have definatly put Nintendo in a very stressful position.

Manufacturing also would have been a difficult thing. Nintendo went from manufacturing a mild successful system like the GameCube which only numbered in the 20-million margin to Wii which broke GameCube's record in a matter of what a year. This combined with the Nintendo DS's rising success would have forced Nintendo to expand at a very high rate of speed to meet demand.

Then software manufacturing. With all those millions of hardware units the demand for software way out stripped the demand of the GameCube, GBA. Nintendo needed to expand its software manufacturing big time.

However I do not buy the fact that Nintendo software developers were so busy producing follow up titles to popular IP's that they were unable to give us new content. Seriously I'd say half of the successful titles if not more were from new IP. Look at WiiMusic, WiiFit , WiiSports, WiiPlay. Then you have new titles coming like those in support of vitality sensor.

Nintendo is just giving excuses when it comes to software development I think. Nintendo could have given us a new StarFox game or a new Donkey Kong game, instead they gave us new IP which they are now saying they didn't have time to give us. How many more new IP can Nintendo expect to produce?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

"However I do not buy the fact that Nintendo software developers were so busy producing follow up titles to popular IP's that they were unable to give us new content. Seriously I'd say half of the successful titles if not more were from new IP. Look at WiiMusic, WiiFit , WiiSports, WiiPlay. Then you have new titles coming like those in support of vitality sensor."

Perhaps he didn't mean none happened since it's clear new content appeared. He likely meant they had to scramble to keep up with the new software demand, and the quickest and easiest was from sequels.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Joelcool7 said:

I bet Nintendo had alot of problems!

With their online servers they probubly didn't expect to get so much online activity. They would have been hard pressed to keep Nintendo's online network running despite the high traffic. Virtual Console etc...etc... would have definatly put Nintendo in a very stressful position.

Manufacturing also would have been a difficult thing. Nintendo went from manufacturing a mild successful system like the GameCube which only numbered in the 20-million margin to Wii which broke GameCube's record in a matter of what a year. This combined with the Nintendo DS's rising success would have forced Nintendo to expand at a very high rate of speed to meet demand.

Then software manufacturing. With all those millions of hardware units the demand for software way out stripped the demand of the GameCube, GBA. Nintendo needed to expand its software manufacturing big time.

However I do not buy the fact that Nintendo software developers were so busy producing follow up titles to popular IP's that they were unable to give us new content. Seriously I'd say half of the successful titles if not more were from new IP. Look at WiiMusic, WiiFit , WiiSports, WiiPlay. Then you have new titles coming like those in support of vitality sensor.

Nintendo is just giving excuses when it comes to software development I think. Nintendo could have given us a new StarFox game or a new Donkey Kong game, instead they gave us new IP which they are now saying they didn't have time to give us. How many more new IP can Nintendo expect to produce?

How many more franchises they can come up with ? 

Its Nintendo they live of video game , they can come up with many new IPs that they are able to do ... i mean in the last decade nintendo had come up with too few new IPs -Ninetndogs, - Brain Games,- Wii series ,-Pikmin and its pretty much it sure there is Blue Ocean and a like ,but i dont think this other smaller games will become a real franchise , but look now in one year Nintendo will bring .

-Last Story

-Xenoblade 

-Sling Smasher (I dont know if it will become a franchise or not... but well its coming)

-That is what we all ready know about , i really can feel a change in nintendo workflow this year , hope it brings more great series , that we all will fall in love with it ...

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!