By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 1M Game Sales Required to Make Profit On Wii

that doesn't make much sense since anyone can obviously tell "not all games are made equal" I think nintendo was talking about their average cost and what it takes "THEM" to turn a profit and Reggie said it as if he assumed 3rd parties were putting as much money into their games as they do "witch they definitely usually do not" like for example 1person made the video game called "super meat boy" and his boss didn't pay him a million to publish it either and its a wiiware game so their is no shipment or retailer in the middle so I'm sure this game would turn a profit alot easier then redsteel2 witch probably had ALOT more people involved in creating the game and theirs a retailer in the middle making probably 5% off selling but anybody with any common sense has to realise that this is simply not true.............

Around the Network

Isn't the internet wonderful. All this information it is so easy to hide bullshit in an otherwise creditable sounding article.

If that was the case then I'd imagine for them to make a profit off ps3 they would have to sell 5million since most ps3 games that are 3rd parties are at least 5times the quality of any 3rd party wii game I ever seen and Id be surprised to find even 10 3rd party games on ps3 to sell 5million or more........... if this was true then these companies wouldn't be making video games period on any console, not the 360orps3 and activision would have at least stopped making wii games

So "The Conduit", according to VGchartz sold something like 390K worldwide. I'm guessing it wasn't a cheap game to make by wii standards.

And yet SEGA announced a sequel.

Are they building on it's failure or did 400K copies are enough to turn a decent profit?

Let's look at some game development costs:

From this article:

• single platform HD budgets can go as low as $10 million
  • multiplatfom HD budgets range from $18-28 million
  • high profile HD budgets regularly break $40 million
  • MW2 estimated at $50m, GT5 at $60m

I believe GTAIV cost $100m.

And from another one(these are averages):

• PS2/GC/Xbox $3-5 million
  • Wii $5-7 million
  • 360/PS3 $15-30 million

So the notion that all Wii games require 1m units to turn a profit is ludicrous.

Around the Network

The Conduit was profitable (because it has a sequel and the publisher is willing to let it happen). That sold only 390k.

It's therefore possible to make a profit on a graphics-focused, non-collection-of-minigames Wii game on 400k sales, worldwide.

This is completely false. The developers for games like No More Heroes, Muramasa: The Demon Blade and The Conduitmade a profit and those games didn't come anywhere near 1 million. Why do you think those developers are making more Wii games now? Because you don't have to sell over a million to make a profit on the Wii.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Do people not have any common sense, different games take more effort and money to develope than others. A million sounds about right for the top Nintendo titles, especially with the amount of advertising they do. Some of the smaller lables could easily make a profit from 100k sales.

Lastgengamer said:

So let’s play a game; I like to call it “THINK LIKE A DEVELOPER!”

Your company has made 83 games for a console. Out of those 83 games you lost money on 79 of them. How long do you continue beating your head against the wall? Out of 74 developers, 71 of them had more losing games than winning ones. Of the three profitable companies, one is the console manufacturer and two others have released one game each.

Why on earth would you continue development for such a machine?

I can't think like a developer because I dunno how it's possible to be that fucking brain dead stupid.

If I'm a developer where my record is 4-79 I would have realized 75 games ago I'm in the wrong business and I suck a fat cock at my job. I'd probably kill myself for being so worthless. 

The real question you should be asking is "how is it possible to suck this bad and still have your job?"

Ahhh they can't go bankrupt fast enough. Still keeping an eye out for a "will develop for food" sign. 

i think i read something like this back in 2007