By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says sorry for other os take down

Mendoza85 said:
PS3 is a videogame system not a F***** PC people

Wasn't the Ps3 advertised as a "media center"??

Around the Network
_mevildan said:
I see a lot of people saying they support the decision and it was useless feature anyway and they don't use it blah blah.

This is wonderful thinking if you don't use it. But have some empathy for those who liked the feature.

My brother and I used it. We are software developers and having linux on there was an awesome way to have fun programming for the cell. Yeah you get emulators, but this was the real deal, programming on the metal. And seeing as though we brought our PS3 knowing about this we were pretty excited. We have been working on a software project for years that we have been keen to get working 100% on the cell as well. Well those dreams are gone now.

But wait, thank the heavens, there is a "choice" there, keep OS and never get any other games or play online again. How fair and thoughtful. Having invested in about 35 games so far and lot's of trophies on my profile I guess I have to "choose" to install the update and kiss linux goodbye.

Oh and I have a "real" PC too, doesn't mean that the other OS feature wasn't useful to me for other purposes. We are pretty pissed off, but I guess (as Sony is hoping) we will get over it. I couldn't even look at my PS3 recently quite honestly.

To be honest, yes I feel sorry for you both, but like I said, just look at the bigger picture there are 33m + ps3 users out there, most of us do not use linux, I used to use it on my fat ps3, but got over it when I chose to get a ps3 slim instead, unfortunately you will have to choose between online games or programming, as normal single player games are still avaiilable no matter what you choose.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jneul said:

To be honest, yes I feel sorry for you both, but like I said, just look at the bigger picture there are 33m + ps3 users out there, most of us do not use linux, I used to use it on my fat ps3, but got over it when I chose to get a ps3 slim instead, unfortunately you will have to choose between online games or programming, as normal single player games are still avaiilable no matter what you choose.

No, they aren't.

jneul said:
_mevildan said:
I see a lot of people saying they support the decision and it was useless feature anyway and they don't use it blah blah.

This is wonderful thinking if you don't use it. But have some empathy for those who liked the feature.

My brother and I used it. We are software developers and having linux on there was an awesome way to have fun programming for the cell. Yeah you get emulators, but this was the real deal, programming on the metal. And seeing as though we brought our PS3 knowing about this we were pretty excited. We have been working on a software project for years that we have been keen to get working 100% on the cell as well. Well those dreams are gone now.

But wait, thank the heavens, there is a "choice" there, keep OS and never get any other games or play online again. How fair and thoughtful. Having invested in about 35 games so far and lot's of trophies on my profile I guess I have to "choose" to install the update and kiss linux goodbye.

Oh and I have a "real" PC too, doesn't mean that the other OS feature wasn't useful to me for other purposes. We are pretty pissed off, but I guess (as Sony is hoping) we will get over it. I couldn't even look at my PS3 recently quite honestly.

Yeah I do understand. I mean Sony can't afford to have their console a pirate's haven.

I just wish there was another route they could have taken for the few of us. Like a case by case application or something. Let people apply to keep the feature. I mean they have seriously hurt some of our plans that have been years in the making. I had Gimp on there. Programming SDks etc. I even had Quake 2 linux on there. All gone. I am going to have to go and play some Uncharted 2 or something to make me feel good about that little black box again.

_mevildan said:
jneul said:
_mevildan said:

Yeah I do understand. I mean Sony can't afford to have their console a pirate's haven.

I just wish there was another route they could have taken for the few of us. Like a case by case application or something. Let people apply to keep the feature. I mean they have seriously hurt some of our plans that have been years in the making. I had Gimp on there. Programming SDks etc. I even had Quake 2 linux on there. All gone. I am going to have to go and play some Uncharted 2 or something to make me feel good about that little black box again.

Quake 2 linux lol, sounds good, you got busy lol, I never had the time to go that far, too busy with my own programming project which is not ps3 based lol, I wish there was another way but sony had to react fast, due to the power of the cell

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network

IMO I think everyone that used it legally should complain to geohot for opening his big mouth instead of having beef with sony. All was fine until he started running his mouth.

dsister44 said:
jneul said:

No, they aren't.

lol you don't need PSN to play on single player games, and trophies will stay updated but only on your local ps3, so backing up of trophies will not be supported

PS VITA = LIFE

jneul said:
dsister44 said:
jneul said:

No, they aren't.

lol you don't need PSN to play on single player games, and trophies will stay updated but only on your local ps3, so backing up of trophies will not be supported

That is true, but you are forgetting about something. New games come with new firmware on them. So now I can't play any new games that are coming out. Even the singleplayer

Why are people blaming Sony? For making moves to try to stop piracy?

For christ sake, go buy a PC, and get Linux if you want it that bad, it's free.

If anyone is to blame in this picture it's the guy who actually made Sony remove this feature, that little pansy GeoHot. I've said it before, that kid needs to get a life.

dsister44 said:
jneul said:
dsister44 said:
jneul said:

No, they aren't.

That is true, but you are forgetting about something. New games come with new firmware on them. So now I can't play any new games that are coming out. Even the singleplayer

nope that's PSP lol, my bf is still on a very old firmware and can play on Uncharted 2 offline:P:P He uses it as his Blu-ray player, I tell him off loads for it :P:P

Edit: the only problem I can forsee in the future is with 3d games I mean older firmware is not capable of 3d games yet, I do wonder how Sony will get around this problem, maybe the game will be just displayed in normal mode and only up to date firmware users will be able to benefit from 3d games?

PS VITA = LIFE