By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, and FF XIII turn things around?

eugene said:
Assassins Creed is a new IP and sold fantastic. In fact, It destroyed all of Sony's first party games on its own platform. New IP's move industry forward. Do we really need another Mario Kart or Need for Speed? Gears of War is another example of how much damage a new IP can do. Sony is once again over estimating brand loyalty. People wont flock to Sony just because their Sony except for the early adoptors and their basicly all used up.

sequels also dominate look at what halo3 did for 360,and yes the brand name will help it but not by much

Around the Network
eugene said:
The gap is larger than the total units sold of the PS3.

The gap is going to decrease. Dont worry.

(off topic: I dont need a wii anymore I got the ps eye)

mM
Harvey Birdman said:
The problem with the PS3 right now is price and the lack of high selling IP's (like MGS4, GT5, FF,GoW3,) From the 360, we have already seen Halo 3, Forza 2, PGR4, and Gears of War. You will see proven IP 's from sony against new IP's from microsoft (Alan Wake, Halo Wars, Too Human). Face it, The 360 will never move consoles like they did this year again. Sony may not catch the 360 in the US, but the 360 has done the most damage it could do.

I agree, price is a huge issue being that 75% of PS2 owners spend less than $200 of the PS2 and it is (fairly) reasonable to assume that these gamers will not spend (much) more than $200 (maybe $250) in this generation. When will the PS3 be a $200 or less videogame system? 2009? 2010?

As will be obvious after Christmas, Sony has (essentially) limited their sales for the first several years and as a result their will be consequences in 2008. Much like Devil May Cry and Grand Theft Auto, more and more of the big named (assumed PS3 exclusive) games will become multiplatform and appear on the XBox 360 and PC; and much like Dragon Quest, many (assumed PS3 exclusive) games will end up being developed for the graphically inferior Wii even though everyone assumed the developer only cared about graphics.

At this time in 2005 people were talking about how the PSP could comeback, and how the PSP's line-up in 2006 was going to (finally) lead to the PSP dominating the Nintendo DS; much like then, the market has choosen its consoles and it is only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to everyone.

leo-j said:
eugene said:

Congratulations on buying your poorly supported add on ...

While I'm playing dozens of third party exclusive games on the Wii which really take advantage of the Wiimote I'll stop and think how much you're enjoying the 3 games released by Sony every year for the ps eye.

leo-j said:
eugene said:

ok,yeah the ps eye is a great wii replacement

/sarcasim

Around the Network
Lost tears of Kain said:
libellule said:
Lost tears of Kain said:

"same could be said of ps3 games, im still hearing all this shit for FF 13 next year blah blah, when its not even likely to happen.

Bullshit its not impressive, next year looks twice as good to me as this year, and thats saying something. Maybe they wont be GOTY material but they are looking to be fantastic games, and some of them having GOTY hype.

Maybe games like banjo 3, fable 2, NG 2 and games like that are not big and impressive to you, but to 360 owners and most people it really quite is.

==> Banjo3 is like Ratceht&clank, not a huge event for hardcore gamer that Xbox360/PS3 owners are. Fable2 is the sequel of a disapoiting RPG that was exclusive to Xbox meaning most of gamers dont know it. Even more it is an hardcore RPG like Mass Effect that will not sell incredibly. NG2 is, well, let's say it is ok but it is just another hack and slash...
All those games are unknow outside of the USA where the first Xbox succeed to sell during the last gen.

On the PS3 side, for what we know,
GT5 : system seller
MGS4 : VERY famous game, good sales expected
Killzone2 : maybe one of the most beautifull games of the 2008 year.
WKS : the game that will sell the console in Japan.
Home and LBP : wait and see.
Tekken 6 : famous game

All these sequels are wellknow from the HUGE PS2 WW users base.

first off Fable was a fantastic game, and if you didnt experience it then to bad for you.

==> whatever Fable is, it is unknow from 90% of the gamer and was an overhyped game like was killzone1 on PS2 for example. Lot of expectation but not so amazing at the end (85% at GR). Keep your amazing for Bioshock plz.

It got numberous game of the years awards. HOW dare you say NG is a hack and slash. GOd your fanboyism is unbelivable for fuck sakes. If you want to take that route let me help you.

==> sorry for NG, maybe hack and slash was a bad term for you and even the wrong term. but I dont think NG match MGS in the video game history.

GT 5- sales went down for 4, seems the series is dwindling

==> the last game of the serie ON A SYSTEM always sell less (and since the gap, in game content, between GT3 and GT4 is not amazing...). It is like Soucalibur3 (0.8) compared to SC2 (1.8M) both on PS2

MGS4- not argueing that

==> I think, as it is the last one, and as it seems promising, the sales will be good. Very good.

Killzone2- the first one sucked major ass, what makes you think this one will be different. That and its anything but beutiful with tis dull gray colors, pretty much a gears copier.

==> if you want, we will see when the game will be released.
I dont need Killzone2 in my logic. It is an extra that may show the power of the PS3 (if it has power ^^)

WKS- expect some from this game its not a sequal, and i put it in same line as LO. Level 5 has never impressed me but maybe this will change.

==> ok with this one

Home-saw what happened to second life.

==> yes

see i can pull it two asswhole stop with your danm fanboyism both sides have an impressive lineup.

==> the Xbox360 one is REALLY weak compared to the PS3 one.
I mean really.
No MGS4 No GT5, ALL is saied.
that is not even fanboyism.
I dont even mention 2009 with FFXIII and versus.

First price cut, on the 60 gig to get rid of it. NUMBER 2 cutting the price of the 80 GIG model. Thats TWO pricecuts, even if one was clearence.

Whats obvious, i would be worried if i were sony. Even after the momentum of ANOTHER price cut, and releasing a LOWER sku they still could not beat 360 WW, and the week they did they barely did it. Once this momentum falls where will ps3 stand?

==> well there is still no good exclusives game on the PS3 except the very old Reistance fall of man, the online restricted Warhawk, the casual Ratchet and the just release Unchartred.
the Xbox360 line-up is just too strong this year (bioshock/Froza2/PGR4/Halo3). Since the console is also cheaper is expected that the Xbox360 sell better than the PS3.

BUT,

Outside of the NA, the Xbox360 is behind the PS3 underlying WHY I m worried about the Xbox360 future : What will happen when the PS3 will reach the mass market too and when the PS3 will have good title ???

How much did halo boost sales? it did but not MIND BLOWING, how can you expect it for ps3 is beyond me.

==> it is not Halo alone.
It is good games, good price, and Halo3 when the PS3 was receiving the AMAZING Lair ...
Man, be sure 2008 will not be 2007.

Besides the bundled games, and multiplatform games of COD and AC, tell me any ps3 games that have sold good. Specially exclusives.

==> becuase the PS3 is laking the very good line-up the Xbox360 has.
I agree with this.
But if you make good exclusives games, people will buy them.
Particularly when they already know them like Tekken/Godofwar/FF/MGS/GT
Remember on the Xbox360 exclusive line-up :
PGR4 : sequel
Halo3 : sequel
Forza2 : sequel
AceCombat 6 : sequel

At the opposite, none of the PS3 exclusive title where sequel so far ...

You will see in 2007, things will be different.

Same next year

NG-sequal

banjo-sequal

fable-sequal

splinter-sequal

same exact amount and some are bigger then games like PGR id say 360 is going to have another fantastic year

ratchet and clank was a sequal

==> all these sequel are average/good compared to the MGS4/GT5 combo alone (IN TERM OF EXPECTATION)
No games in PAL match the popularity of GT.
You are talking about sequel of good games. I m talking of sequel of system seller.

Considering the announced games so far, the PS3 line-up seems better.

Maybe microsoft is preparing others games that we dont know.
Time will tell.

NOTE : I completely know that all will depend of the gale quality at the end.

For me, if GT5/MGS4 own, it is gg for the PS3.

The only thing that could kill the PS3 :

-  price cut from Microsoft
- GTA4 better on Xbox360 or/and GTA4 exclusive content amazing.

Time to Work !

routsounmanman said:
CrazzyMan said:
what did Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil, etc do for Gamecube?
Mario, Zelda, Metroid - these are pure nintendo game. And N64 with CG sales were poor, while both psOne and ps2 sales were over 100 mln. Much More people played MGS, FF, GT games. That`s why these games will improve sales a lot.

More people played MGS, FF and GT than Mario, Zelda and Metroid??? Just ignorant.

LOL. You probably think, that MOST gamers are around 30 years old? =))

Come on, MOST gamers OF THIS CONSOLE GENERATION, which started to play games in 1996-1997 when PSOne came were only 8-10 years old. Now after 10-12 years, they are atleast 18-20 years old. They grown up on PLAYSTATION games. Nintendo BRAND was WEAK all this last 10 years.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

This has been said before, but I just want to restate. When the N64 was failing Goldeneye, Ocarina, and Banjo Kazooie came out within about a year.

Did people love these games? HELL YES.

Did the system get saved? no.

First 3D Zelda  > Another Final Fantasy

Goldeneye > MGS4

Banjo-Kazooie > KillZone 2 

CrazzyMan said:
routsounmanman said:
CrazzyMan said:
what did Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil, etc do for Gamecube?
Mario, Zelda, Metroid - these are pure nintendo game. And N64 with CG sales were poor, while both psOne and ps2 sales were over 100 mln. Much More people played MGS, FF, GT games. That`s why these games will improve sales a lot.

More people played MGS, FF and GT than Mario, Zelda and Metroid??? Just ignorant.

LOL. You probably think, that MOST gamers are around 30 years old? =))

Come on, MOST gamers OF THIS CONSOLE GENERATION, which started to play games in 1996-1997 when PSOne came were only 8-10 years old. Now after 10-12 years, they are atleast 18-20 years old. They grown up on PLAYSTATION games. Nintendo BRAND was WEAK all this last 10 years.

then why is wii on top

eab said:
This has been said before, but I just want to restate. When the N64 was failing Goldeneye, Ocarina, and Banjo Kazooie came out within about a year.

Did people love these games? HELL YES.

Did the system get saved? no.

yeah but psone had a HUGE lead