By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN reviews Sakura Wars for Wii, and gives it a.....

loves2splooge said:

Is the Wii version by any chance superior to the PS2 version in any way? I'm slanting towards the PS2 version.

As for the whole sub/dub preference thing, it really depends on the ability of the voice actor to really convey their character to a tee. I cringed when I heard the english VA for Welcome to the NHK (after watching the entire series with japanese dub, english sub). And I also cringed hearing Atsuma's English VA in Enchanted Arms (Makoto is hilarious in both English and Japanese though) after having played the game entirely in Japanese dub/english sub. I just felt like their Japanese VAs fit very well with their characters while the English VAs.. not so much. But when I played Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, etc., I felt the english voices were perfectly fine. The voices seem to match the characters. Same with the English Lost Odyssey VAs. And Star Ocean 4, while the english VAs are thought to be horrible, I didn't really think so. Personal preference I guess but Lymle is downright hilarious. Admittedly, I haven't heard Lymle's Japanese VA. But it's gonna be pretty hard to top her 'kay and Edgey schtick. lol

So yeah there are cases where I feel the Japanese VA is the only way to go but sometimes they do a good (or great) job with the English VAs. I for one can't imagine say Jansen done with anyone else but his English VA or Michelle (from Infinite Undiscovery) done without the English VAs. I'm not saying that they are great voice actors necessarily but those voice actors managed to really fit their characters. And the end result was lulz.

480p and Widescreen I'm told.

I own all of lastgen systems as of October 2008. (Finally got a Dreamcast)

I own every currentgen system except PS3.

Around the Network

It's a VERY niche dating sim/RPG type game.

Basically it's either going to get 9/10's or 5's/6's unless you get lucky unless you can find the right reviewer that both has an open mind for this kind of thing but hasn't imported the other Sakura Taisen games from Japan.

It's the stigma of cult series like that.

Khuutra said:
zexen_lowe said:
Khuutra said:
People are calling this version nerfed.

Howso?

Lack of dual audio usually makes a version inferior to the other. At least, it would to me

Yeah but if that's all there is I wouldn't expected such a big stink. Gotta be more, right?

You'd be surprised.  Some people won't even play or watch stuff if it doesn't have the original japanese.  I guess the voice acting doesn't sound as bad to them when they don't actually understand it.

It is surprising the two versions have identical scores, Audio you think would knock a little off, but like Tor said... it's cheaper so maybe they figure it balances out.   Or they were just too lazy to review the PS2 version.