By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN reviews Sakura Wars for Wii, and gives it a.....

It's not elitism, I just happen to prefer subs to dubs. Not only in games, but foreign films too. And I don't watch anime (unless it's like Miyazaki).

Around the Network

I've played the first chapter of this dating sim / strategy game. I liked it, but I wouldn't expect a 9. (Maybe the game improves in the later chapters ...)

The PS2 version destroys the Wii version if you have both consoles available. It comes with an art book, a poster and two discs; one with English dub and one with Japanese dub.

anyways on topic. What the hell is Sakura Wars?

A long running dating sim/SRPG series from Sega. Infact, this is one of Sega's most popular franchises in Japan. This is the fifth title in the series and the first to get to North American shores, though I'm told it's the weakest one in the series.

??????????

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

It's an RPG/Dating Sim AND a PS2-Wii port...? Ugh.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

The game came out 2005 in Japan. A bit late, isn't it?

Take a look at my photos on flickr

burning_phoneix said:
It's gotten poor reviews elsewhere.

The PS2 version is also superior. :(

1up gave a "B+" and ZTGameDomain a 8.5

Take a look at my photos on flickr

i think this is going to be my last PS2 game (i said that a hundred times) , but i already have gazzilions of games i haven't played =[

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

burning_phoneix said:
A long running dating sim/SRPG series from Sega. Infact, this is one of Sega's most popular franchises in Japan. This is the fifth title in the series and the first to get to North American shores, though I'm told it's the weakest one in the series.

I've heard ST4's the weakest one by far actually.  Most people seem to like ST1 or ST3 the best.

Is the Wii version by any chance superior to the PS2 version in any way? I'm slanting towards the PS2 version.

As for the whole sub/dub preference thing, it really depends on the ability of the voice actor to really convey their character to a tee. I cringed when I heard the english VA for Welcome to the NHK (after watching the entire series with japanese dub, english sub). And I also cringed hearing Atsuma's English VA in Enchanted Arms (Makoto is hilarious in both English and Japanese though) after having played the game entirely in Japanese dub/english sub. I just felt like their Japanese VAs fit very well with their characters while the English VAs.. not so much. But when I played Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, etc., I felt the english voices were perfectly fine. The voices seem to match the characters. Same with the English Lost Odyssey VAs. And Star Ocean 4, while the english VAs are thought to be horrible, I didn't really think so. Personal preference I guess but Lymle is downright hilarious. Admittedly, I haven't heard Lymle's Japanese VA. But it's gonna be pretty hard to top her 'kay and Edgey schtick. lol

So yeah there are cases where I feel the Japanese VA is the only way to go but sometimes they do a good (or great) job with the English VAs. I for one can't imagine say Jansen done with anyone else but his English VA or Michelle (from Infinite Undiscovery) done without the English VAs. I'm not saying that they are great voice actors necessarily but those voice actors managed to really fit their characters. And the end result was lulz.