By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - XBox 360 shipped vs PS3 sales to retail graph

Notice: PS3 figures are "Unit Sales of Hardware" data from Sony.

XBox 360 figures are "shipped", it's unknown to me if this includes replacement units and such.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Yeah the true gap is 5 million, but in PS3's favor. :/

This would be nice if it mattered. But it doesn't.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Some conclusions:

- By the end of 2009 the gap was 5.2 million units difference (PS3 sales to retail vs 360 shipped).

- The XBox 360 shipped 600K fewer units in 2009 than in 2008 (10.2 million).

- The PS3 sold 12.4 million units to retail (up ~16% from 10.7 million in 2008).

- The last half year of 2009 PS3 sales jumped to 9.7 million sales, up from 6.9 million the same period the year before (slimline introduction), up about ~41%.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ kowenicki

360 shipped wouldn't include replacement consoles... that would be an illegal accounting practice. You cant report as sold something you haven't sold.

I have read through their reports, they don't claim sold, they state shipped.

And this information is readily available on this site from the various articles by The Source.

Couldn't find it all in one place. Maybe provide a link?

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Microsoft said those 39 milions are sold aswell so if Xbox´s are Shipped Ps3 is aswell...

MikeB said:

XBox 360 figures are "shipped", it's unknown to me if this includes replacement units and such.

I knew that statement would cause you trouble. :P

Also, to those that say that this does not matter (aligned sales), it's like saying that for the PS3 not to be a failure vs the PS2 or the XBOX360, it should have magically sold 6 million day one to overtake the XBOX360 from the start. 

kowenicki said:

PS3 sold to retail (some not yet shipped or perhaps even built):  33.5m

Not that you're any better, but we knew that...

@ kowenicki

According to my sources that's not what sales mean. The sale is final onces the buyer received the goods. Shipped means something like transported from the factory.

PS3 vs 360 sales

kowenicki said:
MikeB said:
@ kowenicki

360 shipped wouldn't include replacement consoles... that would be an illegal accounting practice. You cant report as sold something you haven't sold.

I have read through their reports, they don't claim sold, they state shipped.

And this information is readily available on this site from the various articles by The Source.

Couldn't find it all in one place. Maybe provide a link?

Of course they only report shipped, and of course shipped doesnt include replacement consoles.  Shipped is a word... a word that simply means in this case sold to retail.   You are being deliberately belligerent on this point and it is very very boring.

I see you ignored my take on sony sold to retail numbers.... isn't it bloody obvious that this means all sold to retail.  i.e. ordered by retail.. this will include consoles in the process of manufacture, and also shipped? 

Kowenicki is right, Sony do report "ordered by retailers" as Sold, while Microsoft report Shipped.  Technically they're nearly the same thing except Sony will record the sale before the PS3 is even built