By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Do you fell the 360 is the closest to the ps2 this gen?

Do you fell the 360 is the closest to the ps2 this gen?

Yes 78 22.74%

No 207 60.35%

Maybe 16 4.66%

I dont know 5 1.46%

Can you repeat the question? 24 7.00%

Your not the boss of me n... 13 3.79%

Total:343

To be clear , the J man is talking about what each console brought to the table so no "PS3 is closest to the PS2 because sony made it"

Similarities:

1 year head start

Failure Rate

More third party exclusives than the rest

More AAA exclusives than the rest (based on metacritics)

Less features than the competition

External Memory Card/HDD

Differences:

PS2 was the weakest of its gen technically while the 360 isnt

PS2 was a god compared to the 360 in both First party/Third Party exclusives

Online play was not a big selling feature of the PS2 while with the 360 is.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Around the Network

No I feel like the Wii is like the Ps2 in that it has mainstream household appeal just like the Ps2 and it has different demographics playing it. My 2 year old niece played Dora and Garfield on ps2 etc. My house growing up had 3 Ps2s because my mom said she wanted a DvD player for her bedroom and 1 for the living room (she saw me using my Ps2 as a dvd player and thought it was best choice)

edit: double post

jesus kung fu magic said:

To be clear , the J man is talking about what each console brought to the table so no "PS3 is closest to the PS2 because sony made it"

Similarities:

1 year head start

Failure Rate

External Memory Card/HDD

Differences:

What have you been smoking, Nintendo Wii has the most exclsuives. Almost every game on the Wii is exclsuive to the Wii. Now you can argue that some games are made for all three platforms but the Wii version is always different from the rest of the versions.

More AAA exclusives? again who are you to decide that 360 has more AAA titles. Almost everything made by Nintendo is an AAA title then add the other third party AAA titles. Then the PS3 has a few AAA titles too. P.S the PlayStation2 did not have the most AAA titles the GameCube did.

Your right about less features then the competition and stuff but come on the Wii is the current Gen PS2!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

edit: tripple post.

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:

Similarities:

1 year head start

Failure Rate

External Memory Card/HDD

Differences:

What have you been smoking, Nintendo Wii has the most exclsuives. Almost every game on the Wii is exclsuive to the Wii. Now you can argue that some games are made for all three platforms but the Wii version is always different from the rest of the versions.

More AAA exclusives? again who are you to decide that 360 has more AAA titles. Almost everything made by Nintendo is an AAA title then add the other third party AAA titles. Then the PS3 has a few AAA titles too. P.S the PlayStation2 did not have the most AAA titles the GameCube did.

Your right about less features then the competition and stuff but come on the Wii is the current Gen PS2!

Most THIRD party exclusives....meaning not first party. And the underlined really makes you lose all credibility.

Similarities:

1 year head start

Failure Rate

External Memory Card/HDD

Differences:

Wii actually has more 3rd party exclusives than the 360 despite quality being bad

Failure rate, the 360 is the console with the highest failure rate

According to gamerankings the ps3 has more AAA ip than any other system this gen

mM
leo-j said:

Similarities:

1 year head start

Failure Rate

External Memory Card/HDD

Differences:

Wii actually has more 3rd party exclusives than the 360 despite quality being bad

Failure rate, the 360 is the console with the highest failure rate

According to gamerankings the ps3 has more AAA ip than any other system this gen

It probably does...

For its gen yes it does just like the ps2 before it had the highest failure rate.

Gamerankings has the PS3:20 and 360:23

actually its 22 vs 23..

and bayonetta is one of the AAA games on the 360, while its AA on ps3..

mM
CGI-Quality said:
IMO.....

In terms of exclusives, no.

In terms of amount of games total, no.

In terms of market respect, no.

3rd Party support, no. The PS3 gets enough to where the 360 could never pull away as the PS2 did.

Failure rate, well I guess they're comparable.

All-in-all, it doesn't have to be at this point. But the PS2's market/fanbase is split. There isn't a console like the PS2 this gen. Some similarities, sure, but they'll probably never be a console like the PS2 ever again, in terms of console dominance.

The J man thinks that no one thinks a  system will get the dominance the ps2 had but the point of this is that without dominance in the equation , the 360 is very similar to the ps2.

@Bolded

The first two you have to understand that that is based on time. 360 has been on the market for 5 years while the ps2 has 10(Although the second point could show similarities to the wii)..........and what is market respect? Can I evaluate that?