By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you use OtherOS and do you care that it's gone?

Do you use OtherOS and do you care that it's gone?

Yes, im lost without it. 6 8.70%

Yes, but i can live without it. 6 8.70%

No, don't care 36 52.17%

No, but sony are ^$%^@ ^$... 21 30.43%

Total:69

Never used it and don't really care that it is gone. If I wanted to run linux that bad I would run it on my computer as it probably would be better than running on the PS3.

Get your Portable ID!

End of 2009 sales predictions:

PS3 - 33 Million     360 - 40 Million    Wii - 75 Million

Around the Network

No, and I really don't care.

From what I've seen, everyone that uses the otherOS feature uses to just run emulators or run emulators and something else so good riddance.

Its not a question of if you use it or not. Its a about weather Sony has a right to take away a feature that you paid for and that belongs in the system that you legally own.
It might be something that seems of little consequence today but what is to stop them from imposing their will on us for something more important tomorrow?

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

ocnkng said:
Its not a question of if you use it or not. Its a about weather Sony has a right to take away a feature that you paid for and that belongs in the system that you legally own.
It might be something that seems of little consequence today but what is to stop them from imposing their will on us for something more important tomorrow?

If I thought this meant they would take away the ability to play games or watch BluRays  I would say you have something, but they really are doing this just to try and plug security holes and it's a pretty fluff feature.  Really, the only people that use it generally use it to run emulators or pirated TV shows/movies so there's no huge harm.

I know there are people that say stupid things like they bought a PS3 specifically for that but they're lying out their asses.  Anyone that is smart enough to use Linux is smart enough to know that you can build a pretty cheap Linux PC that's much better.

There's no need to get worked up over this and scream will someone think of the children!

I have never pirated console games, nor do I plan to ever pirate console games. Even on PC, I've only pirated one game.

I don't use OtherOS, but I've thought about using it.

With that said, Sony is really fucking lame for removing OtherOS. Slim PS3's are going to be the majority version soon, hackers have BARELY gotten past the defenses and we're 3+ years into the generation, and OtherOS is a feature that people use LEGITIMATELY and want to keep. I don't want to update my PS3 because someday I might decide to use Linux, but I want to update it so I can keep using PSN, even though I don't play online very often.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Around the Network
ocnkng said:

Don't over think stuff too much, you'll send yourself to an early grave.  Sony wouldn't take anything away that people really used or enjoyed as then they would lose customers.  Sony want more customers, especially at the moment.

i installed ubuntu once

but it wasn't polished to ps3 cpu, its sad cuz we could have seen a nice linux version for it but many distribution just ported desktop version over.

they could have taken advance of it, and make a distribution focus on multimedia