By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why does everyone think Natal will be huge?

Marketing: Microsoft has done alot to market it, getting in Popular Mechanics and on alot of shows is just the beginning. Microsoft can hype the hell out of stuff, and it works pretty well.

Casual gamers: The biggest market now, they'll look for anything cool like a "wand" or 3D. Natal will make them say "The camera does what you do". They will tell their friends about it, and the cycle will begin.

Price: Instead of buying add ons which make the controller half the price of the system, there's just a camera. The cheap will buy it because just because of the price.

There's alot of reasons Natal could work.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
Around the Network
jarrod said:
Alceste007 said:
jarrod said:
Because Microsoft's done an amazing job of selling the industry media and press on it already, with almost nothing substantial outside a concept, a name and some messy tech demos. The press keeps parroting it's inevitable success, and other sectors of the industry start to believe it...

The main issue is the possibilities that Natal creates. The success of Just Dance / Wii Fit / EA Active shows that there is a market for a more active style of games. I am interested in seeing how well the possibilities line up with success. Developers need to remember that games need to be fun to sell.

On the cost side Natal will be inexpensive and easily bundled with a slim (cost cut) xbox 360. The cost will drive adoption rates quite heavily. For myself, I am mostly interested in the voice recognition and face recognition technology that is included in Natal.

Oh, I agree with all this.  And I think Natal will shift quite a healthy amount of units.

I just think it's worth pointing out the massive difference in industry response to Natal versus Move, or even Wii really (which still has head-in-the-sand press, analysts and developers predicting it's inevitable downfall... any day now).  And most of that comes down to Microsoft's amazing stagecraft imo.  Sony and Nintendo could learn a thing or two from them...

There is no doubt Microsoft is good at publicity. The area hidden from view is just how good Microsoft is at developer relations. Most developers seemed to be happy with Microsoft after planning and producing products for them.

On the other hand, Nintendo has dominated this generation(& already won), but yet can not seem to get developers on board. The potential for profit on the Wii is huge but the number of developers chasing it is pretty low for the installed base. I am not sure why this disparity exists.

I just don't see natal become big :/

May the adjustments be with you

I feel a disturbance in the sales

A Bad Clown said:
Marketing: Microsoft has done alot to market it, getting in Popular Mechanics and on alot of shows is just the beginning. Microsoft can hype the hell out of stuff, and it works pretty well.

Casual gamers: The biggest market now, they'll look for anything cool like a "wand" or 3D. Natal will make them say "The camera does what you do". They will tell their friends about it, and the cycle will begin.

Price: Instead of buying add ons which make the controller half the price of the system, there's just a camera. The cheap will buy it because just because of the price.

There's alot of reasons Natal could work.

Now see this part is something I think will be proven to be wrong within an year of launch for Natal. They will start releasing one add on after the other for Natal for differnt types of games :) Let's see if I'm right or not

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

What suprises me is that with Microsofts attempted move into the "casual" market they don't seem to be padding their library out much with more causal friendly games. I might be wrong but Sony seem to be padding their casual/childrens game library out with games like ModNation Racers and 3D Dot Game Heroes, adding to more family friendly exclusives like Little Big Planet and the Ratchet and Clank Series. Microsoft seem to keep constantly releasing more mature games and not making themselves an entry point to having a family library.

I know theres plenty of games on XBL and PSN but these aren't on shelves in shops and won't be greatly known to the casual market or parents buying for their kids and such.

Edit: Just to add I'm more interested in natal, and will probably buy it because it's cheap, the Move will need loads of add-ons and stuff. PLus I can make Natal games in XNA!

-Insert PSN Portable ID here-

-Insert XBL Portable ID here-

-Insert Witty Quote/Comment here-

Around the Network

I think the hype is mainly centered within the United States. I was amazed the media eat it like they did/do, while it was revealed the Milo demo was actually a fake and from the controller perspective not much new is being offered and there are real technical / usability concerns.

The driving demo pretending to hold a steering wheel does not seem much useable at all. It will tire your arms far too quickly and will certainly feel ackward and fake compared to holding a steering wheel.

The painting demo was unreal, the painting looked worse than found in kindergarten...

The hitting balls demo seemed like "seen that before" as well as laggy.

The gesture recognition interface, also "seen that before, but without the hype". I think the novelty in this will wear off soon for most people.

No, I don't think Natal will be "huge" on a worldwide scale. I think after the initial hype within the US, it will fade away slowly into the background there as well.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Alceste007 said:

On the other hand, Nintendo has dominated this generation(& already won), but yet can not seem to get developers on board. The potential for profit on the Wii is huge but the number of developers chasing it is pretty low for the installed base. I am not sure why this disparity exists.

Theres a big problem with the Wii and it's audience due to she sheer amount of shovelwear that's been thrown at it. The causal market, and most of the 'hardcore' market simply doesn't know what games are good on the wii because 80-90% of the games brought out on the system are pure garbage.

New IP's regularly fail on the Wii regardless of how good they are (look at zack and wiki) and it's got a really bad reputation for only Nintendo or current franchises selling well on the system. Look at the sales tables for the Wii.... nearly all Nintendo franchises or games! That's why the Wii is not getting support from developers.

-Insert PSN Portable ID here-

-Insert XBL Portable ID here-

-Insert Witty Quote/Comment here-

Doobie_wop said:

Garnett said:
Doobie_wop said:
Garnett said:
The wii is successful because it makes playing games easier, Natal makes it even easier. Therefore more people can play and are interested.

How does using Natal make thing's easier?, from what we've seen so far Natal relies on more effort being used to make the game fun.

On Topic: Natal has received plenty of marketing before release, it's known in the casual American market and bring's an interesting concept to gaming (sshh about Eye Toy). These are reasons why it 'may' be succesful, no one know's what could happen. No one has seen any decent software for it, no one know's if all the previous bug's it had have now been fixed and no one know's it's price. It could very well be the greatest thing to happen to gaming, it could be a complete flop or it could fall in the middle and become the Xbox Eye-toy. Wait untill E3.

A standard xbox controller has 16 buttons and 2 joysticks. 

Natal has your body.

If you look at other forms of entertainment they dont require skill, and if they do very little.

Listening to music 

Watching a movie

Reading a book

All of those are simple and require no skill.

That look's like alot more effort than reading a book

I can tell you right now more people would play that than GoW3 or Halo 3.

I think a lot of it comes from the belief that Microsoft will bundle NATAL with their hardware, creating a strong userbase for the product. That is bound to help them. Furthermore, Microsoft has stated that NATAL will in essence be a re-launch of the 360 and brand, meaning that major marketing dollars will be spent this holiday.

I think both make for a recipe of success - how long term it is really depends on if it is good enough to make for a great, game-changing product (pun intended).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I did not know everybody thought natal was going to be hugh, everything I see and read says the complete opposite.