By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How to bypass PS3 firmware 3.21 and connect to PSN!

@ Alby )

with the new firmware Sony surely patched in new keys for the hypervisor (geohot said it was a complex structure of several keys that made up new keys and he expected to be a main key in there he hasn't gotten hold of) and because the hack at this point seems to need linux to work it has just gotten more difficult to attack the hypervisor

Around the Network
joeorc said:

it was already Open..that's why Linux was there in the first place!

"I hate closed hardware and I think any company that does should just go burn. So I really see absolutely no problem with unlocking the PS3 fully."

an see exactly that is the problem:

opening up a system to allow piracy of their property is going to happen, but when your software sales are not large on a game by game basis, than that become's a problem.

you say open up thing's for fun?

that's like saying stealing is just for fun?

it does matter to the people that invest more money to make those game's how would you feel if you seen 4+ million copy's of your game stolen?

I agree with all that, but still think they shouldnt have done it. They should have fixed that on their next platform (they already done with the slim). Even so, the loss from upsetting people may be as big as the loss from hack on PS3. Whats funny is, people that want to hack will still be able to do so. In this particular case I think they go into trouble to save only 1 or 2 socks. They ban PSN for everyone instead of finding a way to ban PSN only modded PS3 as done by Microsoft. They dont even fix the problem, hackers will still hack. IMO its a very strange move in this case. Im definitly not pro pirating others right but what theres to gain in this move can easily be upset by what is to loose since hackers will simply downgrade firmware or not update while other legit users will loose their "other OS" function when updating.

In resumee, my point is that hackers will still be able to hack there console with a banned PSN, while legit users are ban from either "otherOS" or PSN for almost no gain for Sony. The guys at Sony corp who thought of that, really took the easy way around and didnt thought if this was really justify by the risk. The risk is still there, but their legit users are screwed...

joeorc said:

"I hate closed hardware and I think any company that does should just go burn. So I really see absolutely no problem with unlocking the PS3 fully."

opening up a system to allow piracy of their property is going to happen, but when your software sales are not large on a game by game basis, than that become's a problem.

it does matter to the people that invest more money to make those game's how would you feel if you seen 4+ million copy's of your game stolen?

Opening up the system wasn't to pirate anything, it was because opening up the system allows for many things to be done, one of them is piracy, yes. The moment I got my android phone I rooted it, why? Because I like to do things to my hardware and I don't like to be impeded by bullshit. I am not doing anything illegal on it, though tethering is skirting the ToS a bit, and nor do I plan to, but I like to do things with my hardware and put it to good use. I don't see who the fuck the companies I bought the hardware from are to tell me what I can and cannot do with something I paid for. It's my hardware from the moment they got my money and they can go fuck off and leave me to do my business with my property.

You are also implying that piracy is theft, which it isn't. There's a very clear cut definition it falls under in some countries, copyright infringement, and not teft. Also, Netherlands actually did a study showing that piracy doesn't have any negative effects on an industry, might be beneficial to the overall economy even.

I also couldn't help but laugh aloud at the absolutely abysmal analogy I bolded for you. Yoour definitions of teft seem to be extremely warped and you seem to be very close minded about these issues.

Icyedge said:
joeorc said:

I agree with all that, but still think they shouldnt have done it. They should have fixed that on their next platform (they already done with the slim). Even so, the loss from upsetting people may be as big as the loss from hack on PS3. Whats funny is, people that want to hack will still be able to do so. In this particular case I think they go into trouble to save only 1 or 2 socks. They ban PSN for everyone instead of finding a way to ban PSN only modded PS3 as done by Microsoft. They dont even fix the problem, hackers will still hack. IMO its a very strange move in this case. Im definitly not pro pirating others right but what theres to gain in this move can easily be upset by what is to loose since hackers will simply downgrade firmware or not update while other legit users will loose their "other OS" function when updating.

In resumee, my point is that hackers will still be able to hack there console with a banned PSN, while legit users are ban from either "otherOS" or PSN for almost no gain for Sony. The guys at Sony corp who thought of that, really took the easy way around and didnt thought if this was really justify by the risk. The risk is still there, but their legit users are screwed...

like I stated before while removing Install other OS sony could have in the works a:

LINUX LIVE BOOT that work's from the BD-DRIVE. which could work even on the slim.

just like they may have for backward compatability for ps2 games in the future.

I am not saying they will but that indeed be an option in the future. it would run from the disc like any software.

Sony has taken thing's out , but also have made it where you can put it right back.

example:

when the other USB port's were removed and went from 4 back down to 2 the fact that you can add any USB hub was one of the reason's why they were doing that besides saving money.

So if Sony does indeed make a Live boot Linux install how many people would get it?

Sony could even hand them out.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:
Icyedge said:
joeorc said:

like I stated before while removing Install other OS sony could have in the works a:

LINUX LIVE BOOT that work's from the BD-DRIVE. which could work even on the slim.

I am not saying the will but that indeed be an option in the future. it would run from the disc like any software.

Sony has taken thing's out , but also have made it where you can put it right back.

example:

when the other USB port's were removed and went from 4 back down to 2 the fact that you can add any USB hub was one of the reason's why they were doing that besides saving money.

So if Sony does indeed make a Live boot Linux install how many people would get it?

Thats a great idea, they should have actually done that instead of simply removing "other OS". Just so you know, ive never had any problems with them removing stuff from other console iteration. People were asking for lower price,  by removing backward compatibility they were able to keep selling PS2 hardware on which they make money. If people would have wanted to keep backward compatibility they should have purchase more console and stop bashing when the price was higher. Same thing goes for USB and card reader. But this "otherOS" thing is not the same.

Around the Network

mirgro said:

joeorc said:

Opening up the system wasn't to pirate anything, it was because opening up the system allows for many things to be done, one of them is piracy, yes. The moment I got my android phone I rooted it, why? Because I like to do things to my hardware and I don't like to be impeded by bullshit. I am not doing anything illegal on it, though tethering is skirting the ToS a bit, and nor do I plan to, but I like to do things with my hardware.

You are also implying that piracy is theft, which it isn't. There's a very clear cut definition it falls under in some countries, copyright infringement, and not teft. Also, Netherlands actually did a study showing that piracy doesn't have any negative effects on an industry, might be beneficial to the overall economy even.

I also couldn't help but laugh aloud at the absolutely abysmal analogy I bolded for you. Yoour definitions of teft seem to be extremely warped and you seem to be very close minded about these issues.

but it indeed would lead to Piracy, Even Geohot admitted it. so how is it not leading to piracy?

Piracy is theft pure an simple!

that's why boats are being stolen and their cargo is being taken:

that is theft!

no matter how you want to sugar coat it 

is theft!

Crime Statistics > Software piracy rate (most recent) by country

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_sof_pir_rat-crime-software-piracy-rate

it is theft boy's an girl's:

Microsoft convicted of software piracy

Delicious irony has geek community in raptures

James Middleton

Microsoft was found guilty of software piracy last year by a French court, according to facts unearthed today by the geek community.

But the Redmond giant's conviction and three million franc (£285,000) fine somehow managed to escape the headlines. In fact, until today the only place the story has appeared is in French newspaper Le Monde Informatique.

And the only person who noticed the irony of the world's most aggressive anti-piracy firm being fined for piracy was Peruvian congressman Edgar David Villanueva Nunez.

Nunez inadvertently became a hero of the open source movement last month when he penned a letter to Juan Alberto Gonzalez, general manager of Microsoft Peru, arguing that the free software model does not break any intellectual property laws.

His letter was in reply to a complaint by Gonzalez over the proposal of a bill that would require the Peruvian government to only use free software.

In his argument, Gonzalez had claimed that the Peruvian bill "imposes the use of open source software without considering the dangers that this can bring from the point of view of security, guarantee, and possible violation of the intellectual property rights of third parties".

But Nunez retaliated: "The inclusion of the intellectual property of others in works claimed as one's own is not a practice that has been noted in the free software community; whereas, unfortunately, it has been in the area of proprietary software.

"[An example is] the condemnation by the Commercial Court of Nanterre, France, on 27 September 2001 of Microsoft to a penalty of three million francs in damages and interest for violation of intellectual property (piracy, to use the unfortunate term that your firm commonly uses in its publicity)."

This snippet of information instantly made Nunez a hero of the free software movement and prompted open source development organisation Newsforge to dig up the original Le Monde Informatique story.

According to the article, the Commercial Court of Nanterre fined Microsoft because it had illegally included another company's proprietary source code in SoftImage 3D, a top-level animation package that it acquired from SoftImage in 1994.

During the six-year court wrangle that followed, the French company which originally owned the code used in SoftImage, Syn'X Relief, ran out of cash and went bankrupt.

The fight was then taken up by the original individual authors of the code in question and, in September last year, Microsoft was found guilty and fined.

The software giant said that it would appeal against the decision, but the strange thing is why the story remained in obscurity until now.

One school of thought is that because the court decision followed so close behind the 11 September attacks, the world simply missed the 'Microsoft in piracy shock' story.

However, the recent missives between Nunez and Microsoft have now reawakened the facts in a hot bed of discussion in the geek community.

http://www.v3.co.uk/vnunet/news/2118681/microsoft-convicted-software-piracy

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Ssliasil said:
it doesnt matter if you use it to hack or pirate, fact is there are people out there that DO use it for those purposes...Its been proving...its a very very lengthy work around but its still costing devs money...even if its only 1 copy.

You should turn off your computer. You know people use those to hack things.

Icyedge said:
joeorc said:
Icyedge said:
joeorc said:

I am not saying the will but that indeed be an option in the future. it would run from the disc like any software.

example:

Thats a great idea, they should have actually done that instead of simply removing "other OS". Just so you know, ive never had any problems with them removing stuff from other console iteration. People were asking for lower price,  by removing backward compatibility they were able to keep selling PS2 hardware on which they make money. If people would have wanted to keep backward compatibility they should have purchase more console and stop bashing when the price was higher. Same thing goes for USB and card reader. But this "otherOS" thing is not the same.

Well they did'nt need to do that before because you could install THE other OS Already..

but since this has happend So fast Sony may be erring on the side of caution, to worry about Piracy first. they have some very good software and they  would like to keep it off of P2P site's if they can help it.

Also making a custom Live Linux disc has some great advantages, no taking up space on your harddrive, no need to partition, ans you can store what you do on a flash external flash drive.

I AM BOLO

ps:

dirkd2323 said:
Its really not that hard, When I did the update yesterday, the system asked me 2 times , If I wanted to continue, or I could not install and still get on PSN and use all other features on the PS3, So It looks to me Sony is not making you do anything, its an opction, and if you don't , this could happen and there not responsable. Seems fair to me.

actually they are forcing the firmware on you, or you cannot access the PSN

mM
joeorc said:
Icyedge said:
joeorc said:
Icyedge said:
joeorc said:

example:

Well they did'nt need to do that before because you could install THE other OS Already..

but since this has happend So fast Sony may be erring on the side of caution, to worry about Piracy first. they have some very good software and they  would like to keep it off of P2P site's if they can help it.

Also making a custom Live Linux disc has some great advantages, no taking up space on your harddrive, no need to partition, ans you can store what you do on a flash external flash drive.

The linux disc is a very good idea indeed. When I said that they should have done that, I mean now, at the same time they remove "otherOS". Or should have wait to be able to replace it by something like that before removing "otherOS". Or at least tell us that they are working on a way to bring it back without risk.