By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Official Star Craft 2 Beta Thread

sethnintendo said:

Played it a few times on beta.  Didn't really see anything that warrants purchase.  Loved the first SC but this one I think I'll pass on this one.  Mainly upset with the 3 version just to play all races offline (I don't care if each race has 30 missions you could still fit that all on disc).  I can understand the main game and expansion.  Anyways, I have lost faith in Blizzard and I used to be their biggest fan (bought Diablo 1, 2, WC2, WoW, SC)....

You may want to look into the reasons for it. They aren't charging you 3x for 1 game, they are releasing a full, entire game, and exansions later on. It sounds like you just want too much. 90 missions? really? Even if they could fit that on a disc (probably not, as they have cutscenes for each one) that it a ridiculous amount to ask, considering it's a game that is focused on its multiplayer. That's on par with demanding that Halo have a 40 hour campaign.

Around the Network
Jereel Hunter said:
sethnintendo said:

Played it a few times on beta.  Didn't really see anything that warrants purchase.  Loved the first SC but this one I think I'll pass on this one.  Mainly upset with the 3 version just to play all races offline (I don't care if each race has 30 missions you could still fit that all on disc).  I can understand the main game and expansion.  Anyways, I have lost faith in Blizzard and I used to be their biggest fan (bought Diablo 1, 2, WC2, WoW, SC)....

You may want to look into the reasons for it. They aren't charging you 3x for 1 game, they are releasing a full, entire game, and exansions later on. It sounds like you just want too much. 90 missions? really? Even if they could fit that on a disc (probably not, as they have cutscenes for each one) that it a ridiculous amount to ask, considering it's a game that is focused on its multiplayer. That's on par with demanding that Halo have a 40 hour campaign.

Umm, what exactly is the problem with having more than one disc? This isn't the consoles or any of that thing, in fact an extra disc will probably cost them an extra cent or two. Also who cares about "fitting" my HDD hold 2TB, I am fairly sure I am cool with "fitting" it onto my HDD perfectly fine.

Stop trying to bring horrible console mechanics into an argument for a PC game. Compare it to other PC games, and as such it's a horrible rip-off. They COULD have done it, 10-15 missions per race and then put out an expansion and called it a day, but no, they want to rip you off for all of your money.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Jereel Hunter said:
sethnintendo said:

Umm, what exactly is the problem with having more than one disc? This isn't the consoles or any of that thing, in fact an extra disc will probably cost them an extra cent or two. Also who cares about "fitting" my HDD hold 2TB, I am fairly sure I am cool with "fitting" it onto my HDD perfectly fine.

Stop trying to bring horrible console mechanics into an argument for a PC game. Compare it to other PC games, and as such it's a horrible rip-off. They COULD have done it, 10-15 missions per race and then put out an expansion and called it a day, but no, they want to rip you off for all of your money.

What is your problem? How do you always read the words and not get the point? The point of the statement was the amount of CONTENT he was asking for was too much. 90 missions each with their own cutscenes? When the single player isn't even the focus of the game? Forget disc space, we've waited 13 years for SC2, and we should wait 3-4 more so that stingy players don't have to pay for expansions?

@Jareel Hunter, I was mainly upset that they are dividing the offline mode into 3 versions.  My sentence about 90 plus missions was meant to say that I just wanted all that on one version (main game).  I don't care about having 90 plus mission / 30 per race.  I just wanted the main game to have 10-20 missions per race then have an expansion pack.  I don't want to buy 3 different versions for this with them possibly releasing an expansion after that.  Blizzard went away from the way they do regular business.  Sure they had mulitiple expansions for WC2 but recently they have just released the main game then 1 expansion (SC, Diablo 2, WC3 (WoW doesn't really count since it is given that mmorpgs have multiple expansions if they are successful)).   Sure online is biggest feature and you can play as any race if you just buy 1 version.  Basically, I feel like they are just squeezing more money out of consumers that enjoy the story mode.  

Jereel Hunter said:
vlad321 said:
Jereel Hunter said:
sethnintendo said:

What is your problem? How do you always read the words and not get the point? The point of the statement was the amount of CONTENT he was asking for was too much. 90 missions each with their own cutscenes? When the single player isn't even the focus of the game? Forget disc space, we've waited 13 years for SC2, and we should wait 3-4 more so that stingy players don't have to pay for expansions?

while i don't agree that the single player is not the main focus, i don't understand his problem either.

he'd be OK with 10 missions per race, but with 30 for one race (same amount of content in the game) it's a ripoff?

I'll gladly take a deeper story split over 3 titles, AS LONG AS THE CONTENT IN EACH PART IS ENOUGH. And with making each campaign as long as the original SC's campaigns combined i'm more than happy.

about the singleplayer focus: i think blizzard games always focused on both, and i bet there are more people who just enjoyed the single player in starcraft and the warcrafts than there are players who play on battle.net - and even less that play to top ladders. thats what made blizzard so big and loved in the first place. they have the content for the casuals AND for the hardcore, in one title. i wouldn't say that one part is the focus and the other is just some kind of "bonus".

i don't like episodic gaming a lot either, but this is FAR from it.

btw: i don't know if it has been mentioned yet: on amazon.de SC2 can be pre-ordered for 44 euros right now. great price!

Around the Network

The problem with the single player campaign is pretty simple:

People don't want 30 missions for a single race, they want a little bit of all races. Instead of molding the story to fit the customers' desires (which Blizzard has always done until recently), they built the game around the story, ending up with dissatisfied customers.

Can you imagine Starcraft 1 not having a Protoss or Zerg campaign at all? That's essentially the problem here. You cannot simply assume people will buy the next game for the other campaigns, as that is admitting to Wings of Liberty being an incomplete game.

Unless they're building the lore up for an MMO or something, I can't see the reasoning behind this. I personally don't care as much, since I'm in this for the multiplayer, but I believe Blizzard themselves have stated a significant amount of people buy their games solely for the campaigns.

by that logic a complete story always has to be in one part.

thats like saying harry potter 5 is a ripoff because you can't assume people will also watch harry potter 6.

ignoring the fact that there is way too much to be told to cram it all in one movie... or in this case game. of course it remains to be seen if Wings of Liberty really has as much, or even more, content  as Starcraft 1 or Warcraft 3 had. If it doesn't, I stand corrected.

But the thought of having the Warcraft 3 or the Starcraft 1 campaign three times as detailed and with 3 times the cutscenes for 3 times the price? YES PLEASE. ...of course thats only my opinion.

Having campaigns for all races was nice of course, but why is trying something else always bad right from the start?  i am sure the campaign in Wings of Liberty will be a lot more than just basic terran base building missions ;)

c0rd said:

The problem with the single player campaign is pretty simple:

People don't want 30 missions for a single race, they want a little bit of all races. Instead of molding the story to fit the customers' desires (which Blizzard has always done until recently), they built the game around the story, ending up with dissatisfied customers.

Can you imagine Starcraft 1 not having a Protoss or Zerg campaign at all? That's essentially the problem here. You cannot simply assume people will buy the next game for the other campaigns, as that is admitting to Wings of Liberty being an incomplete game.

Unless they're building the lore up for an MMO or something, I can't see the reasoning behind this. I personally don't care as much, since I'm in this for the multiplayer, but I believe Blizzard themselves have stated a significant amount of people buy their games solely for the campaigns.

This. I fucking hate Terrans. I hate their mythos, I hate their missions, I hate their story. 10-15 missions per race and then expansion would have been perfect, but 30 missions per release all for a single race? Pure idiocy.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

tube82 said:

by that logic a complete story always has to be in one part.

thats like saying harry potter 5 is a ripoff because you can't assume people will also watch harry potter 6.

ignoring the fact that there is way too much to be told to cram it all in one movie... or in this case game. of course it remains to be seen if Wings of Liberty really has as much, or even more, content  as Starcraft 1 or Warcraft 3 had. If it doesn't, I stand corrected.

But the thought of having the Warcraft 3 or the Starcraft 1 campaign three times as detailed and with 3 times the cutscenes for 3 times the price? YES PLEASE. ...of course thats only my opinion.

Having campaigns for all races was nice of course, but why is trying something else always bad right from the start?  i am sure the campaign in Wings of Liberty will be a lot more than just basic terran base building missions ;)

Except that all the Harry Potter books were a complete books in and of themselves. Starcraft is NOT complete with just Terran, there are two more races. It would be like reading The Goblet of Fire, and stopping where Harry's name gets picked out of a hat, then release volume 2 and stop it after the 2nd trial, and then a 3rd to finish it all. Even if it was all added up and it came out to the same price, it is still an incomplete sotry and just very shitty.

Guys, stay OT, threads about the beta...

man, i liked that rally points were  attack move, if you're being attacked it can be a disadvantage like this.

Romance is like playing Mastermind except the girl never tells you which pegs you got right. - Seanbaby