By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Self-proclaimed PS3 hacker GeoHot: "DO NOT UPDATE" to 3.21.

SCEA's Patrick Seybold wrote in a press release: "PlayStation 3 'You can't believe everything you read on the internet.

"The advert in question was being aired in the United States, and it shows a young male questioning a supposed Sony representative about the price cut rumors on the web. The representative claims that if he believed everything he read on the Internet, he’d be a Nigerian millionaire by now.

The ad was supposed to be poking fun at all the Internet rumors that were swirling around about the PS3 price cut, before the price cut in question was made official. According to The Nigerian Minister of Information and Communication, that’s not the only thing it poked fun at."

http://www.ps3attitude.com/new/2009/09/nigerian-government-upset-about-ps3-ad/

A) it's a blog
B) it's Apr 1st
C) patrick has already stated this before

I think running GAG here.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

Sony is actually giving this guy some attention

nordlead said:
PearlJam said:
CGI-Quality said:

I wonder what else this guy does for a living. And, is he not concerned about criminal charges?

He isn't doing anything ilegal, it's what you do with an exploited system that actually breaks the law. Why is the PSP still being hacked? Because Sony can't do a damn thing about it, that's why.

again, not true everywhere. There are multiple countries that have passed anti DRM-breaking laws. In fact, I just checked and he is located in the US, which I already pointed out the DMCA law.

And of course how many times has that law been tested and what exactly does it cover? Code specifically to break CSS encryption was found to be illegal but modifications to run unsigned code was not. Jailbreaking an iPhone is not illegal however SELLING a modified OSX to run on PC Hardware is. One thing about the DRM laws is that many of them have to deal with making a profit or selling on circumvention of DRM like DVDxCopy. Kalodiscape won their case under the same laws when they were sued by the MPAA for circumventing their DRM(a case I worked on). law isn't simple ot understand. However from I have read of this exploit it didn't break any law.

Is that Geohot? Don't get me wrong but... there's nothing hot about him XD

redspear said:
CGI-Quality said:
What's scary is that some people are bound to listen to him.

No Sony messed up. They over reacted and know have given an excuse to the hacker community to crack there system to run Linux on there machine. You can try and blow that off but hackers try to run linux on everything(they just loaded linux on the N900). Fromt here you get the Homebrew community because of the ability of running unsigned code.

This guys exploit that they are patching was very complicated and risky it involved opening up the console and it didn't even run games. perhaps it could of been simpler but now because of Sony's reaction I can guarantee you will be able to run ISOs on your PS3 slim in 6 months.

Oh well.

Dude you might be the only guy in this thread that "gets it". Removing OtherOS can seriously backfire. What happens now? The entire Linux community is going to target your machine to get it cracked. The only reason Sony included OtherOS is VERY simple, it was a peace offering to the Linux community. Linux enthusiasts are some of the smartest and most persistent people out there, they want to run Linux on anything that can possibly run it.

Look at the original Xbox, the reason it wes hacked to shit was because of the various Linux groups. They even tried to bargain with MS, when they found the softmod exploits they gave MS an ultimatum. Either release a public Linux loader for the Xbox, or they publicly release the hack to everyone. MS didn't comply (not that they should have), and they paid for it. The actual hardware was hacked by Bunny (look it up), but it was the various Linux groups that actually made something useful with it. And it was because of their work that other hackers were able to fully exploit the system.

The worst part? Dedicated hackers might find a hack that doesn't require the OtherOS feature. They might find a hack that can't be easily removed with a FW update.

Around the Network

Yeah in general script kiddies and pirates generally don't know what they're doing, they just follow instructions.

Most of the actual cracks and hacks for consoles are done by smarter (or more persistent) people who know a lot about computers and the systems in general. Most of these people are not pirates and mainly just want to put a linux distro on the machine because they can. I believe that the PS3 remains "unhacked" because of the Other OS option.

Now these people will find cracks and methods to put linux onto the PS3 and will HAVE TO SPREAD THAT INFO AROUND because it is not an easy thing to do (like just saying "install other OS" and burning a CD). Some <|3 (ass hat) will use this info to some CFW and viola, pirated games.

This move will only backfire.

EncodedNybble said:

Yeah in general script kiddies and pirates generally don't know what they're doing, they just follow instructions.

Most of the actual cracks and hacks for consoles are done by smarter (or more persistent) people who know a lot about computers and the systems in general. Most of these people are not pirates and mainly just want to put a linux distro on the machine because they can. I believe that the PS3 remains "unhacked" because of the Other OS option.

Now these people will find cracks and methods to put linux onto the PS3 and will HAVE TO SPREAD THAT INFO AROUND because it is not an easy thing to do (like just saying "install other OS" and burning a CD). Some <|3 (ass hat) will use this info to some CFW and viola, pirated games.

This move will only backfire.

Not really. It would only pertain to the old PS3s currently in circulation (still the majority).

Unless some genius found a way to install Linux on a Slim, you're basically pitching to a shrinking crowd as more of the old PS3s are replaced and retired from use.

@greenmedic88

While that is true that wasn't my point. My point was that having actual, legit hackers who are smart, coordinated and just want to run linux on a machine go from having a legit way of doing so, to not having a legit way just means that they WILL hack the machine and games will start being pirated.

End of story. Period. Perhaps the same thing would have happened once all phat PS3s died and none existed but that time will probably never happen nor would it have happened on April 1, 2010. Either way, way to go Sony, you're opening the flood gates.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

He's a douche.

GO GEOHOT!

I for one would love custom firmware.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!