By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Self-proclaimed PS3 hacker GeoHot: "DO NOT UPDATE" to 3.21.

And now we can finally start wading into stupid territory here.

People hoarding old PS3s and not updating firmware in the interest of holding out for the glimmer of hope that will deliver them free pirated games.

Around the Network

if you supported install other os feature you should actually be hating this guy right since hes the primary reason why they removed it in the first place. this guy should use his skills and get a real job and actually contribute to society. he may be smart with tech, but hes a total f*ing moron.

"even a dead god still dreams"

Are they seriously getting rid of OtherOS? I use PS3 linux pretty heavily, it would be a shame not to be able to play PS3 online anymore out of fear of loosing what I spent years tweaking to get just right.

PSN: HobsonA

XBL: HobsonA

fordy said:
leo-j said:
He has my hair =P

I wonder how this guy hasn't been cought yet.. I mean isn't what he is doing illegal

How is it illegal? He's using an exploit on his own system. If he used that exploit to his advantage on other people's systems, then yes it would be illegal.

It would be the same if you hacked your own PC.

but his goal is to release pirated games, and open the system up for implimintation, and this is with EVERY ps3, clearly he is a pirate, and clearly that is his goal. How is that not illegal?

mM
Wagram said:
He's going to have to update if he wants to play future games anyways.

It's called custom firmware. How do you think the PSP can continue to play games?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

GeoHot: Don't update your PS3, I'll make custom firmware!

"PS3 hacker GeoHot is understandably annoyed at Sony's decision to remove OtherOS support from the PS3. And in his very latest posting, he warns PS3 owners to not update and he will look into retaining OtherOS support. Likewise, he notes that he never wanted to touch Custom Firmware but if that's how Sony wants to play, then he will start looking into it. Let the games begin!"

A note to people interested in the exploit and retaining OtherOS support, DO NOT UPDATE. When 3.21 comes out, I will look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support, perhaps something like Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. I never intended to touch CFW, but if that's how you want to play...

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/03/dont-update.html

This dude needs to back the fuck up before he gets smack the fuck up. Sony's the Mobb son! Man Fuck You and your mother fucking mama, Sony gon kill all you motha fuckas. I hate Piracy

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

for all those wondering why it is/isn't illegal

In the US (and some other countries) it might be illegal due to the DMCA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmca - signed into law by Bill Clinton back in 1998 (obviously other laws don't have the DMCA, but they have their equivalent law). Thanks to the DMCA you can not bypass DRM software.

There is nothing illegal about hacking a PS3, so long as performing said hack does not bypass any DRM built in by Sony. Right now I'm not aware of geohot actually bypassing the DRM. Until that is accomplished, it is legal. The Wii hacks (for example), are illegal because they bypass DRM and allow the hackers to run pirated software.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

leo-j said:
fordy said:
leo-j said:
He has my hair =P

I wonder how this guy hasn't been cought yet.. I mean isn't what he is doing illegal

How is it illegal? He's using an exploit on his own system. If he used that exploit to his advantage on other people's systems, then yes it would be illegal.

but his goal is to release pirated games, and open the system up for implimintation, and this is with EVERY ps3, clearly he is a pirate, and clearly that is his goal. How is that not illegal?

There is a difference between a hacker and a pirate. He hasn't done anything illegal 

Kennyheart said:
KingFate said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Why is he sneering at the camera? Who does he think he is? George Osborne?

Cause he is a badass man, I mean he is fighting an obviously evil company that bullies him! Nothing can touch that BAMF.

How has sony bullyed him.

They stole his lunch money.

leo-j said:
fordy said:
leo-j said:
He has my hair =P

Actually, some people hack stuff for the challenge.

You should not convict people on the belief that you think you know what they will do next.

Would he be boasting about his hack if he clearly wanted to pirate games, or kept it to himself?