By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Violent games may damage “the potential of what games can do”

Miyamoto: Violent games risk 'narrowing industry's potential'

Developers need to think beyond "a limited area of expression" says games legend

Nintendo development legend Shigeru Miyamoto has diplomatically warned the games industry against solely focusing on games that reward aggression.

Speaking to CVG in the second part of our exclusive new interview, Miyamoto said that developers needed to beware not to "narrow down the potential of what games can do".

When we asked his thoughts on violent titles such as Modern Warfare 2, he said:

"I think most importantly, from the viewpoint of the evolution of the video games, we have to be very careful about the very great potential video games have as a way for people to express themselves.

"Sometimes, games designers tend to focus their attention on a limited particular area of their expression. That is simply narrowing down the potential of what video games can do

"I really hope each individual creator has a wider view so they can appreciate and try to expand the potential of video games."

However, Miyamoto said he believed nobody should be able to stop designers creating what they wanted to.

He added: "When it comes to the question of how each individual game designer or developer should make their games, I don't think we should try to intervene in how they are trying to express themselves in whichever format."

Click here to read the second instalment of our interview, in which Miyamoto also discusses the difference between developing for the hardcore and casual audiences - and recounts how he made his own toys in his childhood.

Mario's creator on violent games, developing for the hardcore and more...

In the first part of our interview with Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto, the great man discussed his influences and the creation of upcoming epic Mario Galaxy 2.

In this second instalment, Mario's creator discusses the difference between developing for the hardcore and casual audiences, gives his view on 18-rated titles - and recounts how he made his own toys in his childhood...

You've been recognised by BAFTA this month. Would you like to see games getting similar recognition from other entertainment bodies?
I'm sorry - I just don't know what I comment I can make on specific organisations. In Japan there have recently been some movements to try and appreciate better the role of video games in general culture.

However, video games are generally regarded in Japan today as just a part of the entire digital entertainment. Of course, if the video games industry can earn the respect from the public then more and more young people will be willing to become developers - so that's something we should welcome.

However, I understand that general appreciation from the public is something we have to go on asking for. I don't think we need to demand anything from an organisations.

You often discuss your childhood and its influence on you as a professional. Was it a happy time?
It was a happy time for me, even though I had less goods around me in terms of the material prosperity - far less than today. Children from wealthy families tended to have a lot of stuff, whilst all the others of us had a scarcity when it came to toys.

But because of that, I used to make toys for myself with my own hands. Also, a lot of the encounters and conversations among the children back then still influence the way I make games myself today. I must say it was a happy time.

There's nothing in your games that risks offending those of a nervous disposition. But many people seem to fear the effect violent games have on society. What are your thoughts on titles like Modern Warfare 2? Why aren't you interested in making games like these?
In our work, we are trying to make video games as relevant as possible for a wide ranger of generations of people. I do not think we should limit the audience to a particular category, for example, young kids or young males, or a limited number of people. At least, that's how I've been trying to make my own games.

We just talked about the opportunities for the Academy recognising video games as an art form. We really appreciate that kind of opportunity because that can change the mindset of the general public, to how they conceive video games per se.

But when it comes to the question of how each individual game designer or developer should make their games, I don't think we should try to intervene in how they are trying to express themselves in whichever format.

It's a question of how we can make the appropriate communication so that only the people who are appropriate to play with a particular game are able to play it; how we can make enough information accessible to the parents - what types of games can be played by their children.

That goes for us as video game companies - and our marketing people must be very careful as to how they are promoting which types of products to which audiences.

I think most importantly, from the viewpoint of the evolution of the video games, we have to be very careful about the very great potential video games have as a way for people to express themselves.

Sometimes, games designers tend to focus their attention on a limited particular area of their expression. That is simply narrowing down the potential of what video games can do

I really hope each individual creator has a wider view so they can appreciate and try to expand the potential of video games.

When you say 'focusing on a limited area of expression' what do you mean? Do you mean the aggression you find in many adult games?
[Nods] Joy and fun is something I'm always seeking for, myself. Also, specifically about the excessive violence, I think the video game creator has to bear in mind and understand the unique interactive nature of video games.

Which do you working on most: Casual games like Wii Fit or your hardcore games?
Both are enjoyable to me. When we were making Wii Fit we had to wonder how to bring something new into the game that worked like bathroom scales. That was very interesting and a challenge we enjoyed.

But when we're working on a game like Super Mario Galaxy 2, we're going back to the basics, talking specifically about details of the characters - what they look like and how their personalities are. How can we bring that sense of being emotionally involved.

Check back tomorrow for the third and final part of our interview with Miyamoto-san, in which he reveals why he believes 2010 will be a great year for hardcore Nintendo fans...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=240911

Around the Network

Is Miyamoto right about this?

someone making a violent video game in no way hinders other developers who make different sort of games.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Shut up Shiggy ¬_¬

Just because Rock* make GTA/ Manhunt doesn't mean Ubisoft can't make Imagine Babyz/ Just Dance.

He's not discussing violent games as much as the mindset of not looking beyond those.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

"Just because Rock* make GTA/ Manhunt doesn't mean Ubisoft can't make Imagine Babyz/ Just Dance."

Did you even read what he said?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I agree. The industry will be at risk of being stereotyped with violence and aggression. It will just narrow the market.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

He right in what he says, although developers should have complete freedom i think there are a few too many games which employ gratuitous levels of violence. I'm not saying evrygame should be teen rated, i just think that there seems to be an imbalance as developers tend to lean towards violence in order to appeal to segments of the hardcore market.

This can damage the industry as a whole and ecourage the view that video games are a sub par form of entertainment or art.

He does bring up some interesting points. And he's right, if we're not careful we may actually be forcing games to take a step back in terms where they can be considered true art forms. Despite what Shiggy thinks, I count the Zelda games and Mario games especially Galaxy as Art-Forms. And honestly does anyone disagree with me when I say OoT and SMG should be considered forms of Art? Or even Shadow of the Colossus or Ico?

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

LordTheNightKnight said:
He's not discussing violent games as much as the mindset of not looking beyond those.

Exactly.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."