By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The best value on the Virtual Console has been released: Ogre Battle 64

Awesome. Hopefully this opens the door for more 3rd party N64 greats (Mischief Makers, Bangai-O, Goemon, RE2, Rayman 2, etc, etc).

Around the Network
Khuutra said:

Now, some of you may not knonw this, but Ogre Battle 64 is awesome. It's easily - easily - my favorite RPG from that generation. It has its problems, and its system is nearly impenetrable in places, but for what it is? There's nothing better. Nothing.

Even better than FF9?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

Now, some of you may not knonw this, but Ogre Battle 64 is awesome. It's easily - easily - my favorite RPG from that generation. It has its problems, and its system is nearly impenetrable in places, but for what it is? There's nothing better. Nothing.

Even better than FF9?

I liked it better than FF9, yeah.

Translation isn't nearly as good, nor the music, but I liked it better than FF9.

I am tempted to buy this.. I actually owned this game way back in the day on the N64 but ultimately sold it because I got my ass kicked and had trouble figuring out the game. But when I did know what I was doing, it really was quite fun looking back.

I loved this game back in the day! I will be purchasing next time I'm on the Wii Shop Channel!

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

Around the Network

well done virtual console, first rondo of blood, and then ogre battle 64, color me impressed.

Finally a 3rd party N64 game on VC.

Khuutra said:
dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

Even better than FF9?

Translation isn't nearly as good, nor the music, but I liked it better than FF9.

Now, wait a minute..!

Kenology said:
Khuutra said:

Now, wait a minute..!

Now I don't mean to say that Ogre Battle 64 doesn't have awesome music! It does. It really does. In fact, its standard battle theme is probably  my favorite of all time:

But the game's melodies are not as prominent as those in FF9, and I know dtewi wouldn't like them as much. Personally I may like them beter, but I was trying to speak to what I expected dtewi's tastes would be.

Gotta get that Platinum in GoW3.... then I'll start up my battle with Ogres.

Ok, you get a pass for liking "Decisive", that' one of Iwata's greatest compositions!

There are only two beefs I have with the soundtrack:

1). The ratio in which certain pieces are used. The best overworld themes ("Over the World" and "The Bloody World") are only used once each, while the MotBQ holdovers ("Revolt" and "Accretion Disk") are run deep into the ground.

2). There are too many MotBQ and LuCT leftovers!  Hayato Matsuo did a great job writing original material.  Iwata himself didn't contribute too much new stuff and ALL of Sakimoto's pieces were throwbacks.  It would've been nice to have all new tracks or have the old ones arranged.  (This is the same criticism I have with Majora's Mask soundtrack)

Overall though, I think this was one of the best 5th gen soundtracks.  They sure don't score 'em like they used to!