By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo in "3D" is HUGE this coming generation.

JGarret said:
Hey Kas, talking about Blu-Ray...do you think the format would´ve won against HD-DVD even without the help it got from the PS3?

I think there was a thread here on vgchartz...quite old, like 2 years ago or something...where someone detailed in a very good way how BD would´ve won anyway, it would just take longer, but I dunno.

What do you think?....obviously BD got a major push through the PS3, but was it really necessary in order to put HD-DVD to bed for good?

I do think it would of won anyway... Blu-ray was pretty much always seen as the favorite... plus it was made by Sony.  Sony owns a number of major movie studios while Toshiba had to borrow and buy support.

Very few studios were HD-DVD only... I think maybe one while it still mattered?   While Blu-Ray had support of all Sony owned studios of which a number of big movies existed.

Around the Network
FaRmLaNd said:
copying sony?

3d has existed in pc for a while and the 3d wtih glasses has been used in the cinemas since the 50's. Its hardly a new technology.

Then again so has motion gaming, but people don't ever look at that when they say SONY copied nintendo..

mM
freebs2 said:
I doubt that 3D could work exactly like that way, at least with the current tecnology....it seems to me like a simple but cool graphical improvement.

Thats actually exactly how its going to work for first person games if you ask me.

Regular 3D without head tracking is just special effects and not much application for gaming.  That's not really Nintendos style.

I don't want 3d to be successful in home console gaming. We already had to change televisions to be able to see the true graphics of a game, if next-gen we are forced to buy a 3d TV to be able to play i'll quit. And don't come tell me "You still can play using SD tvs, it'll work similar with 3d tvs" because we all here know that ps3 and 360 in SD tvs are just a bad joke, in SD you can't barely notice difference between PS2 and HD consoles games.

invetedlotus123 said:
I don't want 3d to be successful in home console gaming. We already had to change televisions to be able to see the true graphics of a game, if next-gen we are forced to buy a 3d TV to be able to play i'll quit. And don't come tell me "You still can play using SD tvs, it'll work similar with 3d tvs" because we all here know that ps3 and 360 in SD tvs are just a bad joke, in SD you can't barely notice difference between PS2 and HD consoles games.

I don't think there is any way ever, that Nintendo would design a console which relies on people owning 3D televisions.

Around the Network

This is the reancarnation of the virtual boy, legendary Gunpei Yokoi had dreamed of. Now its come tue.

Kasz216 said:
SciFiBoy said:
Kasz216 said:
Eh... maybe.

Personally I see 3D as the next HD graphics.

In other words I think it will be something that costs more then it's worth and most people won't care.

71m HD consoles sold disagrees with you on that one, no doubt not all of them use the HD, but I imagine a fair number do, HD take up is good has been fairly good hasnt it?

Not really.  HD uptake has mostly been caused by stores no longer selling SD widescreens.  As for the consoles, i'd guess there adoption was quite similiar.  With the only non HD console being the Wii which offered a whole different expierence.

Either way, after seeing how expensive HD is I hate to see how expensive 3D is. 

3D HD may leave only EA standing if any company decides to launch with that.

I don't expect 3D to add much of anything to development costs.

You make an SD image HD by increasing the resolution 2-4 times. HD drove up costs because developers felt they had to spend a lot more money designing detailed models, textures, and environments that people expect to see with that increase in fidelity.

You make a 2D image 3D by rendering the scene twice from slighty different angles and sending each image to a different eye. Since the in-game world is already 3D, there's no extra design work needed. Same textures, models, and environment, used twice. Rather than making the design staff work twice as much, 3D makes the hardware work twice as much.

Nintendo will bear almost all the costs of 3D when they manufacture the 3DS, and we know they aren't much for subsidizing hardware or selling pricey consoles.

All that being said, I agree with you in that I'm not sure 3D will be a Big Deal. I see more merit in 3D in the living room, but also more barriers to be overcome (much more expensive screen, multiple viewers and more extreme viewing angles).

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I think that 3D won't take off untill people can experience it like in the 3DS.

I don't want to be gaming wearing some stupid glasses and be looking like a nerd. That's embarrassing and gimmick. Imagine even the people that wear glasses usually. Two pair of glasses???? How retarded would that look to everyone that walks in...

When auto-3D TV's are standart, that might be a nice addition to the home console gaming.

leo-j said:
FaRmLaNd said:
copying sony?

3d has existed in pc for a while and the 3d wtih glasses has been used in the cinemas since the 50's. Its hardly a new technology.

Then again so has motion gaming, but people don't ever look at that when they say SONY copied nintendo..

that's a bit of difference beetween motion controls and 3D.

As for 3D, it's not like sony and nintendo copying one another, they're just following the new entertainment standards. We have seen a new dawn of 3D movies in cinemas, after than all TV manifacturers started developing 3D televisions (not only sony), now we see sony and nintendo adopting it (not inventing it) as the natural flow of things in the industry. The same thing happened for HD consoles, HD content were alredy avaliable in some selected cinemas, in some pay TV channels, there were already 2 developing supports (blu-ray and HD-dvd) it's not like sony or microsoft have invented it.

As for motion controls, it's true that the whole concept of motion controls wasn't made by Nintendo, but for sure what Nintendo has done was going agaist the natural developing flow of the industry (wich was going towards HD), creating a whole console based on the motion controls idea, changing in fact the path of the industry development (we would not have seen Move or Natal without the wiimote before), that's why someone can say that sony "copied" nintendo. They have followed a new path that wouldn't have existed without nintendo, at least not this soon.

When this 3DS will be released?